`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 3.44 Average
Randi's Handy Hints
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
RE: Randi's Handy Hints
I would like to call myself out. I may have fueled this handy hints write up! lol. I didn't properly inspect a card I sent Randi in a trade. I am working to fix it and hope my rep doesn't get killed by this. This thread is great though. I read it and learned a few more things. Hope I can alter a few things in packaging to prevent damage. Thanks for the write up though, it's a great guide to trading. Smile

-Ashley

[Image: updatedbeckettbanner.jpg]

http://s624.photobucket.com/home/Bloodinmyeyez82

My Collection Website:

http://www.offthepipe.weebly.com
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I can't believe I actually read that whole thing haha. Good time killer at work Smile

Great job Randi!

[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Wow! I seriously did not expect this type of response so fast! Thank you all for the great responses. I am sorry that I will not be hitting the "REPLY" button to each individual response as I usually do, as I would take another pages' worth of writing to do so! Haha! I will address what I can:

Mark (mswatson): I have had to send out my 2010-11 Upper Deck complete set when I sold it, and I just used a regular box. I did think about the dropping issue... so I tried it out! I took a commons box that I have and dropped it a few times. There was no damage to the actual cards from my shoulder height (around 4 ft.) as they are protected by three layers of corrugated cardboard. It's better protection thank you would think! I would, however, suggest folded-up paper to line the top of the cards in the box to stop them from moving around. This is a huge help, and it got me a kudos on eBay.

Carl (tha penguin): Glad I could make you laugh... ya bugger! Haha! Wink

Tyson (wickabee): I did mention the padded envelopes in my thread, but thank you for heightening their reputation. I agree that they are far more sturdy than the bubble mailers, but at $1.70 each, I see them losing out! It would be nice if they came down in price, as I would convert quickly!

Brian (bguzowski16) and roussy35: Thank you for the huge compliment! I am glad to be able to help anyone out!

Gary (gary991979): Honk-honk baby! Haha! Thank you for reading!

Mike (mjmj1966): Thanks for reading! I am glad that I could be of any assistance at all!

Walt (pens1fan): I would surely take that title with pride, and thank you very much for the nod and huge compliment! The only thing that I would not want that comes inevitably with such a title is the backlash from any trader that has done something unfavorable. I am not a toe-stepper-onner! Great point on the status of your cards too! It would be nice if we were all on the same pages.

Ashley (alto4life): By NO means was this a call-out to you! I wrote this a few hours before the cards arrived. It actually spawned from the previous thread about sending out damaged cards, and from a few PM's that I received from some members of the community. Thank you, though, for putting that out there, and for the incredible offer that you have made! I would do nothing to harm your reputation, and if anyone questions you, send them my way! Haha! I'll give them the Gordie Howe treatment! Tongue

Mike (onoxregretso): Well thank you for inconveniencing yourself and hunkering down! Haha! I am kidding, but thank you for reading, and for the compliment!

Thank you to all who have read and did not post! I just hope that this will help someone along the way! Best wishes and happy collecting!

Randi

Photobucket
[Image: HALAK_zps26c7055e.jpg]
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
(02-10-2012 02:18 PM)rayeates Wrote:  Tyson (wickabee): I did mention the padded envelopes in my thread, but thank you for heightening their reputation. I agree that they are far more sturdy than the bubble mailers, but at $1.70 each, I see them losing out! It would be nice if they came down in price, as I would convert quickly!
I actually started using them because the only bubble mailers I can find are 3 for $7 at Wal-Mart or the giant 8'x8' ones at Staples. When I noticed these were cheaper than anything I can find (sturdier too) I jumped on it.

Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
(02-10-2012 02:33 PM)wickabee Wrote:  I actually started using them because the only bubble mailers I can find are 3 for $7 at Wal-Mart or the giant 8'x8' ones at Staples. When I noticed these were cheaper than anything I can find (sturdier too) I jumped on it.

You, my good man, have to get the heck out of BC then! Haha! Man... that is rough! I don't understand how they can justify something like that when the rest of us only pay small amounts for them. Maybe try hopping in to a Shoppers Drug Mart with a postal outlet and snaring the 10-pack of bubble-mailers for $6.99? I have seen them across the Eastern part of the country, and am assuming that they would follow suit. Here's to hoping!

Randi

Photobucket
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
(02-10-2012 02:37 PM)rayeates Wrote:  You, my good man, have to get the heck out of BC then! Haha!

I did that once. This province has a way of pulling me back...or maybe Alberta didn't want a Canucks fan, haha.

Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
(02-10-2012 02:53 PM)wickabee Wrote:  I did that once. This province has a way of pulling me back...or maybe Alberta didn't want a Canucks fan, haha.

Bahahahaha! Whatever you do, don't come here to Halifax... you'll go RUNNING back to BC! Try Ontario. I lived there for 23 years... it's a lot better! Haha!

Randi

Photobucket
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
have to say great tips. You can also use the dummy thick decoy cards instead of those gunkier loaders.

gunky,gunkier,gunkiest just got to love the word

Top 3 redsox autos wanted
1. Wade Boggs
2. Dustin Pedroia
3. Nomar Garciaparra

Top non redsox autos
kyle drabek
bob boone
joe niekro

Also looking for 2006 topps/chrome Declaration of Independence/ US Constitution cards.
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
(02-10-2012 03:07 PM)leadmetogreatness Wrote:  have to say great tips. You can also use the dummy thick decoy cards instead of those gunkier loaders.

gunky,gunkier,gunkiest just got to love the word

Hahaha! I like gunkier the best! Thank you for the great add to the chart! I forgot to mention the decoys! I will have to edit that in there!

Randi

Photobucket
02-10-2012, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 06:33 PM by mswatson.)
Got a Sams Club or Costco nearby?? I get a box of 25 bubble mailers at my local Sams Club for $4.99. and I keep the bubble mailers that cards get sent to me in - I package up the cards, I put them in a used bubble mailer first then put that into the new bubble mailer for posting, so there's two layers of protection all around (not counting plastic cases or top loaders, etc.)

(02-10-2012 02:33 PM)wickabee Wrote:  I actually started using them because the only bubble mailers I can find are 3 for $7 at Wal-Mart or the giant 8'x8' ones at Staples. When I noticed these were cheaper than anything I can find (sturdier too) I jumped on it.

(02-10-2012 01:08 PM)pens1fan Wrote:  One thing that I would like to add is that everyone needs to go in and change the way their cards are marked in their organize as far as condition. Everyone knows or not, since Beckett made the last changes that cards now marked Mint 9 carry a 25% premium. So even though your cards may be mint(as I consider most of mine to be) change them to nrmt 8 or nrmt+ 8.5 so pricing will be correct, unless of course card is graded 9 or higher.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Last year, I broke a pack of let's say UD Series 2, and when I added them into the organizer, they came in as Mint (9) unless I changed them. This year, when I break a pack of UD Series 2 and add them into the organizer, they'll add in as NmMt (8) unless of course I change them. The condition/quality of this year's cards is probably indistinguishable from last years but now Beckett by default rates them differently. Did the standard change - are pack fresh cards really NmMt(8) and not Mint(9)? When they did this, did they actually change the pricing so that a Mint(9) card that was priced at $1 was reassigned a value of $1.25? Or were we all overvaluing our cards by default?

So is the consensus that a pack fresh card is NmMt(8) or is it NmMt+(8.5)?

And, looking at my All Items, I have 104,144 items in organizer, how do I do this easily?

Thanks - Mark.

Building sets, and collecting Ovechkin, Varlamov, Neuvirth, Calle Johansson and
Craig Laughlin... and now Marcus Johansson
[Image: PC-Mail_0001-2-1-1.jpg]