`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate to do it but feel that I must...

I hate to do it but feel that I must...
and that is rant a little about trading. This is not my style but I'm getting aggrivated with the condition of cards I've been receiving lately. When I'm working on a trade and receive an offer I go through all the cards someone wants to check and make sure that if I was receiving that card is it one that I would want for my pc condition wise. I know everyones standards are not the same that is why I go above my standards before sending it out. I have literally thrown away cards that I have received. Also, just because its a low valued card and means nothing to you, its still a card I want to own and has more than money value to me. I don't want to raise a stink or leave negative feedback over a $1-$5 card but lately it is happening more and more. I have had traders tell me that they will send me a card back to make up for it. I don't want a card back that I didn't want in the first place. What I want is the card I traded for in the same condition as the cards I sent to them. I take great pride in my pc and helping others add nice cards to theirs. Please, I ask, have the same respect.

If no one wants to trade with me after this its what I get for the rant but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are some great traders here but I can understand why I've sent a few offers to members who have told me they don't trade here anymore. I don't want to turn into one of those members.

Thanks and sorry for the rant.

Mike

This was not meant to cause any hard feeling with anyone I had previously contacted. Calling people out on the forum is not my style either.
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: I hate to do it but feel that I must...
(02-09-2012, 12:40 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: and that is rant a little about trading. This is not my style but I'm getting aggrivated with the condition of cards I've been receiving lately. When I'm working on a trade and receive an offer I go through all the cards someone wants to check and make sure that if I was receiving that card is it one that I would want for my pc condition wise. I know everyones standards are not the same that is why I go above my standards before sending it out. I have literally thrown away cards that I have received. Also, just because its a low valued card and means nothing to you, its still a card I want to own and has more than money value to me. I don't want to raise a stink or leave negative feedback over a $1-$5 card but lately it is happening more and more. I have had traders tell me that they will send me a card back to make up for it. I don't want a card back that I didn't want in the first place. What I want is the card I traded for in the same condition as the cards I sent to them. I take great pride in my pc and helping others add nice cards to theirs. Please, I ask, have the same respect.

If no one wants to trade with me after this its what I get for the rant but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are some great traders here but I can understand why I've sent a few offers to members who have told me they don't trade here anymore. I don't want to turn into one of those members.

Thanks and sorry for the rant.

Mike

This was not meant to cause any hard feeling with anyone I had previously contacted. Calling people out on the forum is not my style either.
I whole-heartedly agree with what you are saying. It is quite disgusting to receive a card with all four corners rounded and whited, and with scratches, dings, and dents all over it. At least let the trader know of the condition before, so they wouldn't have to trade a good condition card for garbage.

When I trade, I always try to let people know of any condition issues with a card after I examine it with a magnifying glass. I even do that with my e-Bay listings.

One of my peeves pertaining to condition is when people send a card in a toploader without a soft sleeve. The card is 9/10 times scratched to s!@#, and the corners are beaten down to a nub. Sorry to say it, but if a card is damaged beyond recognition, I don't care how much it is on my wantlist, I don't want it anymore. Some people just do not care for their cards like we do, yet they happily trade their damaged goods for our prime condition property.

Mike ur right on my cards have been coming in simliar conditions but it not only trades it the ebay pusches etc
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I am glad to say that I have not experienced this situation, and Mike, I hope that none of the cards I sent to you came in this condition. I hope that this issue is seen by all, and that people start taking the condition of their cards a bit more seriously. I have always had the other trader tell me if there are issues with the card(s).

I have accidentally sent out a card before without fully reviewing its condition, and it turned out to have a bad corner on the back of the card. I tell you now, that was the last time that will happen on my end! I hope that all goes well from now on!

Randi

I know we have never traded but I too try to take pride in when I send cards out and as far as I know have had no issues. I would hope if anyone receives cards in such condition, and they weren't happy, they would let me know before leaving feedback and I would try to rectify the situation. Whether I hunted down another PC card for them or whatever. I would do that to keep my trading name in good standings. I love these boards (even though I am not active sometimes posting Smile ) but I am almost always adding cards to my organize and have had more trades in the past 2 weeks than I've had in 3 years.

With that being said there are some things I do take into account (and I hope most other traders do too), like vintage cards and such. Some vintage you just can't get around the fact that the card has rounded corners or may have a crease or 2. I'm not saying it's right but that doesn't bother me so much. It's different when you received a mid 70's card that has some minor issues versus a newer card from the late 90's to now. There is no excuse to send a card from recent years in that condition. If something happens in transit, again, a different story and I would hope the person I was trading in would let me know.

My 2 cents. Smile Happy Trading.

PS - That was my 250th post!
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

I agree Mike. I hope everything I sent arrived in great shape as I sent them. I take pride in my PC as well and feel the same way. I go over my cards and make sure if there's anything wrong with them that I inform the trader way in advance. Hope things get better and people start checking their cards!

(02-09-2012, 03:15 PM)roussy35 Wrote: I know we have never traded but I too try to take pride in when I send cards out and as far as I know have had no issues. I would hope if anyone receives cards in such condition, and they weren't happy, they would let me know before leaving feedback and I would try to rectify the situation. Whether I hunted down another PC card for them or whatever. I would do that to keep my trading name in good standings. I love these boards (even though I am not active sometimes posting Smile ) but I am almost always adding cards to my organize and have had more trades in the past 2 weeks than I've had in 3 years.

With that being said there are some things I do take into account (and I hope most other traders do too), like vintage cards and such. Some vintage you just can't get around the fact that the card has rounded corners or may have a crease or 2. I'm not saying it's right but that doesn't bother me so much. It's different when you received a mid 70's card that has some minor issues versus a newer card from the late 90's to now. There is no excuse to send a card from recent years in that condition. If something happens in transit, again, a different story and I would hope the person I was trading in would let me know.

My 2 cents. Smile Happy Trading.

PS - That was my 250th post!
The cards I received are within 5 years old. I also realize stuff happens in transit. But when a card arrives in a top loader with the top taped shut and you pull the card out and the whole right side is creased there is no excuses. I wasted 11 cards alone today with bent corners, dents, scratches, and creases that I received this week. To me that unacceptable and the reason for my rant.

Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

(02-09-2012, 03:40 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: The cards I received are within 5 years old. I also realize stuff happens in transit. But when a card arrives in a top loader with the top taped shut and you pull the card out and the whole right side is creased there is no excuses. I wasted 11 cards alone today with bent corners, dents, scratches, and creases that I received this week. To me that unacceptable and the reason for my rant.
I defintely agree. I'm sorry that happened.
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants

I agree as well. That being said, if it is of such a concern to you or anyone else (including myself), I generally would like to see a scan of it. Especially if it is of any mid-high end $ value etc. It makes me think of the customer who goes through the drive-thru, and leaves without checking their food. Then they realize 5 minutes down the road that they didn't have ketchup or napkins or something, and then complain. Check before you leave, or in this case, check before u trade/buy.

I've never received beat up cards like that, and I don't think I have sent any out without notifying the trader first. I traded some early 70's cards, but double checked the condition and left a comment on the trade about it before the trade was accepted. Also went to trade a Roy card and noticed a ding in it. Took a picture and showed the other trader to see if he still wanted it or wished to replace it with something else. That time I had already accepted the trade prior to pulling the cards. Fortunately, the other trader found a replacement card and the problem was easily solved.

I take pride in my cards, even the mass produced ones from the 90's that I am trying to build sets for and expect to get quality cards in return for the quality cards I am trading away.

I hope your bad luck turns around.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054