`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alan Trammell vs Ozzie Smith

RE: Alan Trammell vs Ozzie Smith
(02-09-2012, 07:45 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: If the argument "for" someone to get into the hall is "because he is better/almost as good/just as good as Joe Schmuckatelli" then no, they don't belong in the hall because they have to ride someone else's coattails to get in and can't stand on their own.
i still think its a travesty that joe schmuckatelli isnt in the hall of fame yet..he was just as good as ozzie smith too if not better

(02-10-2012, 08:03 AM)john1580 Wrote: i still think its a travesty that joe schmuckatelli isnt in the hall of fame yet..he was just as good as ozzie smith too if not better
Hopefully the Veterans Committee will see the error and rightfully place him in there!

If it were Cleveland Indians fans voting for HOF induction, Trammell would be a shoe-in. He was a clutch hitter and even though he wasn't a power hitter, he always seemed to hit 1 or 2 /series against the Indians.

As for the argument at hand, I think Ozzie got in for his glove, (not his bat) being the dominate defensive player in his league. Ozzie was beloved by the national media while Trammell played in Ripken's shadow. Because Trammell was not the dominate player at his position, in his era, is a mark against him. He was a very good player but did not have the media love that Smith enjoyed. Nor did Trammell do any one thing extraordinarily well when compared to Ripken's bat or Smith's glove.

I bet many of the HOF voters would be surprised at how closely Trammell's and Smith's stats are to each others. But i would guess that many of the HOF voters are not stat geeks. And when Ozzie's name was put on the ballot, most voters checked the box next to Smith's name w/o a thought to his stats and how they compared to his peers. Players, that get in later, are the candidates that have their stats scrutinized.

This is all conjecture. I don't know the thought process of the HOF selection committee. But the HOF is reserved for the greatest of their era and that is not always based solely on statistical achievements. This is where Trammell's legacy may fall short.

Yeah Ozzie only got in because of back flips.... oh yeah..and by recieving nearly 92% of votes on his first ballot.... I really doubt that anyone just checked the box by his name without considering his baseball playing skill......
Oh yeah..he holds these records....what records does Trammell have?

Assists, shortstop, career, 8375
Assists, shortstop, season, 621, 1980
Double plays, shortstop, career, 1590

(02-10-2012, 12:10 PM)JASCards Wrote: Yeah Ozzie only got in because of back flips.... oh yeah..and by recieving nearly 92% of votes on his first ballot.... I really doubt that anyone just checked the box by his name without considering his baseball playing skill......
Oh yeah..he holds these records....what records does Trammell have?

Assists, shortstop, career, 8375
Assists, shortstop, season, 621, 1980
Double plays, shortstop, career, 1590
They just checked the box by his name because his reputation was legendary. No need to pour over his stats and compare him to his peers. He was a no brainer choice for 92% of the committee. That is what was implied by my comment.