`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retail or Hobby

Retail or Hobby
Hi everybody... I have a question regarding on what to purchase. I am dropping some money, as most of you are probably doing on Topps Series 1 2012. I have been trying to find a site that lists the product difference in retail to hobby. Also I was wondering what you all prefer to buy? Hobby or retail? For example for starters I was thinking about buying three blaster boxes or a hobby box. On mlb's site I saw the majority of most of the better hits seem to be in hobby. Only prospect autos are in retail is this correct? Hoping for some input on this. Thanks.
Correction mlb's site was for bowman.
Kevin done

RE: Retail or Hobby
I buy mostly Hobby, but if I am in a Target or Wal-Mart I will pick up a retail box. I find that I get better insert cards (AU/MEM) in hobby boxes than retail. But that is just my opinion. The only negative to buying Hobby is that they are always more expensive than retail.
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

I would definitely think about what your collection goals are. Are you interested in building sets? Do you want rookie cards? Are you planning on selling anything you get? Are you planning on trading anything you get? Are serial numbered and/or autos important? Be careful about so-called "book value" and the perceived value of cards, and ask whether you can accomplish your goals by buying retail or hobby. I'm strictly a collector, and I've found some cool stuff in retail, but I prefer to buy hobby.
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

I'm mostly in it for the hits. Serial, auto, patch, etc. I don't plan on selling anything. My base and inserts just kind of sit around and I would love to trade them. Also I do find myself holding onto rookies.
Kevin done

Got to remember...until Feb 29, there is a wrapper redemption Hobby only for a pack of Topps Gold. 50 Wrappers for one pack of Gold.
Bob
Looking for ...
1)autos of Gwynn, Headley, Venable, as well as Chargers... Gates, and Rivers.
2) autos/gu'd of Baldelli, Zobrist, rare Red Soxs
3) HOF autos, game-used and #<50

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/gwynn_fan/

If you want hits, like you say you do, then hobby is a must. I think they stopped putting autos and jerseys in the blasters starting in 2010, except for the 1 per box manufactured patches.
[Image: B1tP5.png]
*RED SOX * PATRIOTS * CELTICS * BRUINS*
*I'm currently looking for autos of Tom Brady, David Ortiz, and Yasiel Puig!!!*

(01-31-2012, 04:04 PM)telattt Wrote: If you want hits, like you say you do, then hobby is a must. I think they stopped putting autos and jerseys in the blasters starting in 2010, except for the 1 per box manufactured patches.
This is incorrect, they put autos and jersey cards in retail, I pulled a Nolan Ryan 60th anniversary auto from a 2011 blaster.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/dayton310/

DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2 DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2
R.O.A. (DO NOT TRADE) THE GREAT 48

Baseball Card Pedia is a great website to look at odds and a brief breakdown of each product. Here's the website for 2012 Topps:

http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2...Series_One
Currently working on 2010 Bowman Chrome Regular/Prospects, 2010 Bowman Sterling,
and 2010 Topps

(01-31-2012, 04:13 PM)daytonator Wrote: This is incorrect, they put autos and jersey cards in retail, I pulled a Nolan Ryan 60th anniversary auto from a 2011 blaster.
I believe the continuity autos were the only hits you could have gotten in 2011 blasters, which were insane odds
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

I guess it all comes down to the product you want to buy. As far as the 3 mail topps baseball sets go, I find a few in retail and mostly buy hobby of this stuff. But bowman and bowman chrome retail are loaded and I do mean loaded with autos ! I am not the only person on this site who pulled a Bryce Harper auto refractor from blaster boxes. I am addicted to retail. Just since last year here is a a list of the bigger hits I pulled from retail, not counting the jersey cards hank Arron real one auto redemption from heritage, Ross world series relic redemption, at least 15 rc autos from bowman and bowman chrome, over 75 coloreded refractors from bowman and bowman chrome, George bush auto from allena nd Ginter , Paul goldshmidt auto ref, from platinum,plus about 7 more autos I can't remember the names of, and of course the Harper. So myself, I love retail. I do find singles and asks are better at wal mart, and blasters I only buy from target.