`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?
Well I wouldn't say I "invested" in him, but I thought Nate McLouth would be much better, especially after his 2008 season...hopefully he can snag a spot in the O's outfield toward the end of the year
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

Well in the winter and spring training I spent about $1000. buying up as many RC, Auto, and Serl. on Ebay Of Michael Pineda. Thinking he was under valued, and gonna have a CY type of year. Then DL for season Sad
and a grand is a lot of $$ for ebay and for me. Last year went nuts for Brandon Belt about 150 RC and Im a huge Giants Fan watched every game, and ZERO HR!!! and tons of looking KKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Now evean though I will loose the $400 or $600 on him if he gets traded. But I want to go back to WS so screw him and all the $$ I wasted. Time to trade him and bring in some pop at 1st base!
On the up side made some nice trades for Stirling Castro, Kershaw, autos, Freeman, and bought up some nice BGS Heyward, Or nothing on ebay in winter, nobody wanted him. And still have faith in Bubba Starling!!! 6 autos, and 30 RC!!!!

Edit: Just read the title was bust.......... oops. As for bust I never really had any, I did once spend $700 on a Mark Pawelek Superfractor 1/1.

I had very good prospects collections of Joe Mauer and David Wright owning multiple BC Gold Refractor Autos at one time as well as tons of base, Xfractors, refractors, ect. My biggest guy I actually attempted to prospect was Melky Cabrera. At one time I had 3 of his Red Refractors, I believe a dozen Golds, and a bunch of Chrome parallels and finest autos. I believe I sold the collection for around $3000 then he got traded.
Never really bothered much with prospects after that. Believe it or not I remember the Golds averaging $200-$250 at one time when I was trying to pick them up. Had he stayed in NY and been hitting like he is I would have struck it rich. Im not much of a gambler though, so prospecting really isn't for me.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

I think my over spending on late 80s and early 90s rookies is really my biggest bust. I cant agree with anyone saying juan gonzalez, david justice, gary sheffield, sosa, etc were busts, I think just the era with the over production makes it hard for anyone to shell more than a few bucks out for anything from 1990 or 1991. thankfully 1992 bowman got hot and made a big bang in the rookie market and rookie cards after that seem to hold more value. I have several stacks of sosa, griffey, frank thomas rookies and even if they never jump in value, they will be in my collection forever. does anyone else here think it is completely insane to spend the same amount of money on a 2010 bgs 9 bowman chrome bryce harper rc--non auto when u could pick up 2 89 griffey udeck psa or bgs 9s for the same price. to me that is a no brainer
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

(06-12-2012, 11:19 PM)greg7475 Wrote: Well in the winter and spring training I spent about $1000. buying up as many RC, Auto, and Serl. on Ebay Of Michael Pineda. Thinking he was under valued, and gonna have a CY type of year. Then DL for season Sad
and a grand is a lot of $$ for ebay and for me. Last year went nuts for Brandon Belt about 150 RC and Im a huge Giants Fan watched every game, and ZERO HR!!! and tons of looking KKKKKKKKKKKKKK. Now evean though I will loose the $400 or $600 on him if he gets traded. But I want to go back to WS so screw him and all the $$ I wasted. Time to trade him and bring in some pop at 1st base!
On the up side made some nice trades for Stirling Castro, Kershaw, autos, Freeman, and bought up some nice BGS Heyward, Or nothing on ebay in winter, nobody wanted him. And still have faith in Bubba Starling!!! 6 autos, and 30 RC!!!!
Ooff. That one (Pineda) stings, bro. I feel for you. As for Belt, he's been a big disappointment. I don't think Bochy helped matters with the Huff/Pill/Belt platoon. Not sure if he'll amount to much, but I, too, had higher hopes for him.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Well now that he's hurt yet again and has shown no signs of doing ANYTHING when healthy mine is Kyle Drabek. What a waste

(06-12-2012, 11:19 PM)greg7475 Wrote: Well in the winter and spring training I spent about $1000. buying up as many RC, Auto, and Serl. on Ebay Of Michael Pineda. Thinking he was under valued, and gonna have a CY type of year. Then DL for season Sad
Still too early to give up on Belt and (especially) Pineda! I've had Pineda for the last couple years in a keeper fantasy league and even though I'm a Yankee fan, I would've rather had him stay in the friendly confines of Safeco and deal with less pressure than NY. But from a card perspective, being on the Yankees is a great thing. He had a huge spike in value when the Yankees got him. If he comes back strong, I'm sure you will have come out ahead with your collection. Right now may be a good time to buy in even more...
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

For me it would have to be Justin Upton so far. People will laugh at me for this one but he was the number 1 overall pick in the 05 draft and even though he has made a few all stars he has NEVER played to his potential. He has hovered around star potential but has never hit more than 88 rbi's in a season. I have spent god knows how much on him, more than I care to say lol so hopefully he reaches his potential. He was supposed to be the Dbacks first true superstar hitter since Luis Gonzalez and it hasn't happened.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

i dropped more than a few bucks on greg "toe" nash. the mythology on the guy is still unreal

(06-17-2012, 11:04 AM)ryanmo5 Wrote: For me it would have to be Justin Upton so far. People will laugh at me for this one but he was the number 1 overall pick in the 05 draft and even though he has made a few all stars he has NEVER played to his potential. He has hovered around star potential but has never hit more than 88 rbi's in a season. I have spent god knows how much on him, more than I care to say lol so hopefully he reaches his potential. He was supposed to be the Dbacks first true superstar hitter since Luis Gonzalez and it hasn't happened.
Kind of looking that way for Goldschmidt, & Heyward this year.

To verify that Upton was the #1: (BUST)
[Image: DSC02071.jpg]