`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?

RE: Who is the biggest prospect BUST you ever went "ALL IN" on?
(01-29-2012, 09:47 AM)crazy4cardz Wrote: Not quite a bust...the jury is still out, but I shelled out an ungodly sum in a bidding war for this single card in...of course...July of 2010, about a week before he went on the DL. For my sake and the Nationals sake, lets hope the comeback sticks.

[Image: StephenStrasburg.jpg]

I worked up the courage last night to look what the card was going for now...OMG...let's continue to keep this purchase a secret from the wife.

Better cards than women...in her own words.
You could still turn out alright on that one. Always cool to see a gem mint + auto.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I never got in on the prospect part of the hobby, though it is fun to watch others do it. My only experience was taking a '99 Topps Chrome Traded Corey Patterson just after they came out, submitting to BGS, getting a Gem Mint grade, and selling it on ebay for $500. I actually feel bad for whoever ended up taking the biggest hit on that one.

My opinion is that unless Jason Heyward bounces back in 2012, he will fall into the "bust" category, mostly due to the massive amounts of hype that came with him.

(01-29-2012, 10:03 AM)uvaspina Wrote: You could still turn out alright on that one. Always cool to see a gem mint + auto.
Thanks...I needed that reassurance!!! Last night was the first time since I bought it that I researched what they were going for. Hadn't had the heart to. Luckily the PRISTINE factor on the grading is hard to duplicate...
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____

(01-28-2012, 09:31 PM)benner73 Wrote: I definitely wouldn't call Maybin a bust just yet. Mine is Lars Anderson though. Bought a bunch of auto's of him and I think I have traded them all away now. Never again will I go for on a prospect again.
He's definitely a HOBBY bust any way one looks at it. He may still be a serviceable player in the MLB though - which is enough to give people trying to sell his cards some hope (and hype) of recouping some lost cash.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

id say im the largest maybin collector in the world, or the dumbest...i have spent to date 19,856.00 on his cards.. i am still buying them like candy..i have faith but only holding on by a string... anyone want to sell there maybins just let me know Smile

(01-29-2012, 02:46 PM)reagan21 Wrote: id say im the largest maybin collector in the world, or the dumbest...i have spent to date 19,856.00 on his cards.. i am still buying them like candy..i have faith but only holding on by a string... anyone want to sell there maybins just let me know Smile
Let's hope this is his year. -Still don't know why the marlins unloaded him for nothing. I think his WAR was like 4+ last year. They definitely gave up on him too soon. Now, the question is whether his career becomes more like JD Drew's or Curtis Granderson's.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Besides Bryce Harper... LMAO!!! TRAVIS LEE lets just say it was one of my worse moves every few hundred dollars as well as a 1994 SP A-Rod RC and a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr RC later. Wouldnt you know i still have all the Travis Lee cards still til this day. So if anyone is intersted let me know LMAO
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

i hope your rt buddy..id love to unload this collection...i will keep my signed game used cleats bats gloves ball and other memo stuff but will part ways with the cards...love watching the kid play and did coach him here in NC at a state games tour which showcases the top young stars in NC...he is a talent and i hope he pops off this year.

(01-29-2012, 03:08 PM)rad_1205 Wrote: Besides Bryce Harper... LMAO!!! TRAVIS LEE lets just say it was one of my worse moves every few hundred dollars as well as a 1994 SP A-Rod RC and a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr RC later. Wouldnt you know i still have all the Travis Lee cards still til this day. So if anyone is intersted let me know LMAO
Me too with Travis Lee haha. I was too young to have dropped any serious amount of money back then but I bought A LOTTT of his cards. Jose Cruz Jr at that same time as well.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

[Image: ty_griifin_1.jpg]

[Image: tygriffinusa.jpg]
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]