`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Question? What Do You Think?

Grading Question? What Do You Think?
So as I was browsing through some cards, I came across an MJ that was graded a BGS 9.5. The card ungraded only books for $5 and this card was already up to $20. This caught my eye so I read the description. The seller said that under the BGS population report there was only 1 9.5 of this particular card. Since this was the case, the seller said that the card was a 1/1. Do you agree with this? That this card is truly a 1/1 as it is the only card like this graded a 9.5?

Some people say that if a card has a serial number that matches the player it is a 1/1. For example if the card is numbered 23/50 and it is a MJ card it is "1/1." Their thoughts are that since this is the only card that is numbered 23/50, then it is a 1/1. My thoughts about this are that all serial numbered cards are "1/1" based on this reasoning. The card numbered 24/50 would also be a "1/1" because it is the only card numbered 24/50. I think having the card 23/50 and it being a MJ would be a cool item to have, but not a 1/1, IMO.

So what do you think? Are the only cards that are truly "1/1" the cards stamped "1/1" or does having a population report of 1 make a card a 1/1?
What if there were only 1 of a particular card graded and the card was graded an 8, would that make it a 1/1? What are your thoughts on this? Just curious.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

RE: Grading Question? What Do You Think?
It's a loose interpretation of a 1/1. Heck... I could blow a booger on a card and call it a one of one because I bet there are no others with my boogers on it.

As for the collecting community....it would not fly as a 1/1 because once some grades another one that scores a bgs 9.5 it is no longer a 1/1.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

It's all a big joke. If the card is not stamped a 1/1 it is not a 1/1, case closed. Anything else is just some seller trying to boost his auctions, which is legal but morally wrong as some sucker will be taken advantage of. All cards of the same lot are equal, ex. 1/5, 2/5, 3/5 etc. all valued the same. IMHO.
Looking for all types of rookie cards. Only trade with a d/c #. If you have less than 25 trades you must ship first. Thanks.

[Image: 3sport.png]

Banner Thanks to CoolBrees.

(01-22-2012, 10:13 AM)sonnyday Wrote: It's a loose interpretation of a 1/1. Heck... I could blow a booger on a card and call it a one of one because I bet there are no others with my boogers on it.

As for the collecting community....it would not fly as a 1/1 because once some grades another one that scores a bgs 9.5 it is no longer a 1/1.
+1000 That pretty much sums it up. If it isn't stamped 1/1, it isn't 1/1. Plain and simple.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]