`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I don't miss the junk days

I don't miss the junk days
I started collecting back in the early 70's until about 1981, then dropped out until 1989-1991. Now I've returned to the hobby after 20 years of being away, and I have to say that what I see for the most part is pretty cool. I only collect, and have no intention to sell cards, though I trade dups one in awhile to help others complete sets. So I'm less interested in the perceived value of the cards I get. Instead, I'm truly impressed with the quality and variety of (most) products today as collectibles, pieces of the game that I've loved since being a kid. So I'm wondering if there are others out there who see it that way too. I look back at all the crap I bought from the late 80's and early 90's and sometimes wish it wasn't there. But the best part now is that my sons are getting into it, and even hitting me with stuff like "Hey Dad, did you know that Nolan Ryan threw seven no-hitters?"
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

RE: I don't miss the junk days
I recently returned to the hobby too after a long hiatus. I've enjoyed seeing all the new (to me) cards from all the different sets. The part I've enjoyed the most is keeping ip with the chatter on the boards and getting trades together. For me, the way to go has been to buy a box every so often, but focus on collecting my PC guys (thru trades and buying singles). It's been fun for me and I'm glad to see other guys are coming back to it as well.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Great Thread!! I view cards as little pieces of card-board history of the game of baseball. Yes even 80's and 90's although over produced. Every player has added there little piece to the history of the game no matter how small, there's always something.
My youngest grand-daughter ( 11) is now interested and when see gets a card she googles the player prints out his career and adds it to her binders. She called me on the phone yesterday and gave me the excited history of Tom Seaver LOL.

I hear ya! I came around the late 80s to early 90s, stopped, then picked it back up last year. There are a ton of variations of cards out today thats its almost impossible to collect just one player in full now without spending one million dollars /pinkyfinger.

I am a set bulider and don't sell myself but i do trade heavily. One of the most enjoyable aspects for me is trading especially on here. My love though is for the older cards from the mid 80s to the 1800s. Nothing beats owning a card from the "yesteryears".
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

I just found an unopened box of '92 Topps that I had buried away. I'll be looking forward to opening that up, though sadly, it was the first year that I collected in which gum was not part of a Topps pack.

I think there are some amazing cards but I also think its become diluted...
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

I don't miss the quality of alot of sets like '89 Topps, but I do miss the pack prices and the small hotel card shows.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Smile Nice thread!
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(01-21-2012, 10:54 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: I don't miss the quality of alot of sets like '89 Topps, but I do miss the pack prices and the small hotel card shows.
AMEN! LOL while I didn't start collecting until about 2000ish (I'm only 20 yrs old cut me some slack). I do remember there being TONS of shows and wax was sooo cheap. Granted, I'm an auto/relic guy, so tech I would've been miserable, but still lol.

Heck, in my town (which is a large resort area with the world's largest cherry festival every summer). We do NOT have a LCS.

And our "card shows" occur in the malls, and it's literally ONE vendor...with ONE case of overpriced sports cards (the rest are those cheap plaques and low end posters).

hmmm....maybe I should open a card shop with my college income (of -20k a semester lol) Tongue
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Sounds like you're in Traverse City! I'm in Williamston, just outside Lansing, and I can't find shows anymore. And instead of a dealer on every corner, I now have to travel 20-30 minutes to get to a hobby shop.

(01-22-2012, 05:06 AM)swjrp10 Wrote: AMEN! LOL while I didn't start collecting until about 2000ish (I'm only 20 yrs old cut me some slack). I do remember there being TONS of shows and wax was sooo cheap. Granted, I'm an auto/relic guy, so tech I would've been miserable, but still lol.

Heck, in my town (which is a large resort area with the world's largest cherry festival every summer). We do NOT have a LCS.

And our "card shows" occur in the malls, and it's literally ONE vendor...with ONE case of overpriced sports cards (the rest are those cheap plaques and low end posters).

hmmm....maybe I should open a card shop with my college income (of -20k a semester lol) Tongue
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!