`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I don't miss the junk days

RE: I don't miss the junk days
(01-21-2012, 10:54 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: I don't miss the quality of alot of sets like '89 Topps, but I do miss the pack prices and the small hotel card shows.
used to be 3-4 shows a weekend like that in RI in the 80's miss them too Sad I also mis buying cards at the corner store and building those 726 card tops sets where you actually had team pictures league leaders and maybe some fresh gum Smile and there were more than 3-4 players from each team in a set.

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

Players in the 'junk' days may have had a million or more cards produced of them every year - which is obviously a TON of cards....

...but today's players STILL have at least the SAME amount of cards, they're just broken down among different sets.

Things haven't changed as much as people may think!
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(01-22-2012, 08:44 AM)michaelpoyma Wrote: Sounds like you're in Traverse City! I'm in Williamston, just outside Lansing, and I can't find shows anymore. And instead of a dealer on every corner, I now have to travel 20-30 minutes to get to a hobby shop.
I'm in Mobile, AL. There was a time in the early '90s when you could count 7 different shops, plus hotel shows and 2 Flea Markets. Now, there is one card shop 30 minutes from me and I know we are fortunate to have it.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(01-22-2012, 08:44 AM)michaelpoyma Wrote: Sounds like you're in Traverse City! I'm in Williamston, just outside Lansing, and I can't find shows anymore. And instead of a dealer on every corner, I now have to travel 20-30 minutes to get to a hobby shop.
the fact you know that is just creepy! lol We should bust a case together sometime bro!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

If you live in Michigan, you would know about TC! The hobby has really thinned out, so fewer collectors. Nice knowing there are more in Michigan.

(01-22-2012, 07:07 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: the fact you know that is just creepy! lol We should bust a case together sometime bro!
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

Gibraltar Trade Center in Mount Clemens and in Taylor have pretty large shows every month or so and usually have some signers. Look them up on the web. Well worth the trip if you get a chance!

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them.

(01-22-2012, 09:47 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Gibraltar Trade Center in Mount Clemens and in Taylor have pretty large shows every month or so and usually have some signers. Look them up on the web. Well worth the trip if you get a chance!
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

(01-22-2012, 08:33 PM)michaelpoyma Wrote: If you live in Michigan, you would know about TC! The hobby has really thinned out, so fewer collectors. Nice knowing there are more in Michigan.
Oddly enough, the guy up here who runs the "card shows" called the LCS in my old hometown in IN to try and get them to come up...of course I had to be legit with them (since they give me such sick deals constantly, I can't lie, even to help the hobby up here loll), it's too bad too, I would've loved to have gotten some singles from them without having to drive 6 hrs.
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75