`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
BVG vs PSA???

RE: BVG vs PSA???
[quoteFrom my view, there seem to be a lot more PSA-graded cards for sale on Ebay and other sites I look at. This may be because sellers use PSA whereas "collectors" who use BGS just don't re-sell as often. I have no proof for this, and it's just a feeling. However, there are even fewer SGC cards for sale.

For me, it's all about what will look good in my collection and the value provided. We shall see....
[/quote]

Psa has been grading cards since the early 90's I believe, which could mean there are a lot more cards in circulation. This could also be why more collectors typically choose psa for vintage.

I track many different cards mostly vintage baseball rookies and Michael Jordan cards. I have about a 30 page spreadsheet that shows both BGS And psa graded cards and the price they sold at and most of the mj BGS 9.5's sold for a higher price then their psa 10 counterpart. With vintage, psa cards typically sell for a tad more but not much. This is also incomplete information as I only starting tracking in 2013 and I only track certain cards in BGS/bvg and psa grades. This is a generalization, there are exceptions. sometimes a bvg 7 will sell for more then a psa 7. Sometimes a psa will sell for FAR more then a bvg.

There are also many variables that can be why a card sells for for a certain price Such as; the seller (their feedback score, reputation) and the clarity of the scan. I know some collectors won't even buy cards from sellers with less than 97% positive feedback, or if the scan is unclear.
As a quick example, I recently purchased an 87-88 fleer Michael Jordan BGS 8 for around $44 delivered which is a VERY GOOD price. Psa 8's can go anywhere from 55-70. One major reason why it could have gone for that low is because the picture was so blurry you couldn't even read the serial # or subgrades. On a side note, I never received the card. It was shipped and lost/stolen through usps.
I collect mainly BGS/bvg graded cards but I honestly believe that all 3 grading companies are solid and reputable. And the debate of "psa vs. BGS?" is un-winnable. If you have nice looking cards with deserving grades, they will sell!

I use all three for varying reasons and it all depends on your own collection, preferences, and goals. There is no 100% single right answer for everyone. One reason I use Beckett is that it's simply much easier for me because I can drop off and pick here in Dallas and get to know the staff but I also started with BVG to stake out a claim on a vacant 1966 Topps Venezuelan registry, rather than chase the #1 set on PSA. I fell into the same path with SGC when I purchased a sizable lot of 1972 O Pee Chees.

For modern relic or thicker cards, Beckett holds an advantage particularly when tying modern graded cards to a registry particularly player registries which scale out much larger than PSA. PSA's holders are also way too big and ineffective for storage on those thicker modern cards even for something of the thickness of a 2008 Topps Sterling base or parallel non-relic.

I personally think SGC has the best eye appeal and cost, and they support Pre-War cards very well, but some of the cards I have look to be too tightly wedged between the black holder. That's my only knock on them.

For resale value, I completely agree PSA is the better way to go but that's not a 100% iron clad rule but a good general one. They're the clear registry front-runner which drives their graded cards and also run a tighter ship although they could use some updating of their database structure.

Regardless and despite raw card purist criticisms, and I have many raw card only sets, eyeballing a raw card can't catch what a 10x loupe and a quality grader at BVG/BGS, PSA, or SGC should/can especially when buying a substantially priced card online
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Coimbre 21,
You brought up a great point...the psa set registry!

This is a huge reason why psa singles go for INSANE prices, especially commons. I'd like to see Beckett's registry grow and be dominant. In fact, I just received an email from Beckett asking how they could make it better and I look forward to giving my opinions. I enjoy seeing Beckett improve as I'm a BGS fan and only have my cards graded by them.

(02-06-2015, 06:03 PM)altz11 Wrote: Coimbre 21,

This is a huge reason why psa singles go for INSANE prices, especially commons. I'd like to see Beckett's registry grow and be dominant. In fact, I just received an email from Beckett asking how they could make it better and I look forward to giving my opinions. I enjoy seeing Beckett improve as I'm a BGS fan and only have my cards graded by them.
+5000

I'm a BGS fan too!! In addition to buying already Graded BGS cards, I buy PSA 10's and Cross them over to BGS.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I think most of us would like to see Beckett's Registry come close to that of PSAs. Problem is that progress is real slow on this site. The PSA Registry has been up and running without any major issues for years. If BGS can get their registry running for a year or two without any major issues, and they choose to offer some deals or promotions, they might be able to win back some old members as well as some new ones.
[Image: pwskelly_zps1a5efa17.jpg]

Collecting: 2005-06 SP Authentic Hockey Marks of Distinction and Mike Liut.

(03-03-2015, 01:35 AM)pwskelly Wrote: I think most of us would like to see Beckett's Registry come close to that of PSAs. Problem is that progress is real slow on this site. The PSA Registry has been up and running without any major issues for years. If BGS can get their registry running for a year or two without any major issues, and they choose to offer some deals or promotions, they might be able to win back some old members as well as some new ones.
+34
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

A similar thread is on the BGS forum and Jeff did a great job of providing some insight to the registry issues with Beckett. Basically it's just not a priority because they are putting their efforts into Online Auctions and Coins data bases etc. One would wonder why they even bothered with a registry if they were not going to put the required effort into it. My guess is so that they can market Beckett as having a registry just like PSA....but that is just my opinion of course.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

I read Jeffs post about the registry as well. He made a lot of sense as to why things take time to fix/update and as much as it sucks for the members, it is still a business that needs to focus on priorities...whatever they may be at any given time. I am excited to get the contests up and running though. I'd really like to see the vintage registry contests.

(01-26-2012, 08:42 PM)sonnyday Wrote: On Vintage Cards PSA is much more desirable in the collecting community. Sure there are exceptions with some collectors, but most like PSA.

As for a BGS 9/9.5 going to be a nicer card then a PSA 10??? Don't quite think so.... I would take a PSA 10 any day over a BGS 9.5.
Clearly a PSA fan
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(02-06-2015, 06:03 PM)altz11 Wrote: Coimbre 21,

I only do BGS, but the price to get cards graded is scary.