`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
BVG vs PSA???

RE: BVG vs PSA???
(02-23-2014, 01:19 AM)jctone Wrote: Why do you think people prefer PSA? Is it because they have been around longer? Thanks.
I think that's a part of it. But there are many reasons. I'm apart of the Collectors Universe Forums (PSA forum) and probably 99.9% of the people there prefer PSA, and keep an eye out for how many people on the BGS forum prefer PSA, I've seen more than I would like to.
Many think PSA has stricter grading standards (which they don't, Nolan5000 is right, BGS has stricter centering standards, just compare both of the grading standards on their websites).
PSA is a publicly traded company which means you or me can invest and buy PSA stocks. And from what I've seen, PSA cards typically, (not always) get more value depending on certain factors, take for instance the PSA 10 Fleer Jordan rookie vs. the BGS 9.5 Fleer Jordan rookie. On top of that, PSA is accredited by the BBB (Better Business Bureau) BGS is not.
Also, the PSA set registry is like a deadly drug to collectors. People will pay BIG MONEY for a pop 1 or 2 of an average player to complete their registry. BGS' registry isn't quite that competitive, it's also a lot newer though.
But like I've said in a previous post, there are good things and bad things about both companies and it's really not worth arguing about.

(02-25-2014, 03:37 PM)altz11 Wrote: I think that's a part of it. But there are many reasons. I'm apart of the Collectors Universe Forums (PSA forum) and probably 99.9% of the people there prefer PSA, and keep an eye out for how many people on the BGS forum prefer PSA, I've seen more than I would like to.
Many think PSA has stricter grading standards (which they don't, Nolan5000 is right, BGS has stricter centering standards, just compare both of the grading standards on their websites).
PSA is a publicly traded company which means you or me can invest and buy PSA stocks. And from what I've seen, PSA cards typically, (not always) get more value depending on certain factors, take for instance the PSA 10 Fleer Jordan rookie vs. the BGS 9.5 Fleer Jordan rookie. On top of that, PSA is accredited by the BBB (Better Business Bureau) BGS is not.
Also, the PSA set registry is like a deadly drug to collectors. People will pay BIG MONEY for a pop 1 or 2 of an average player to complete their registry. BGS' registry isn't quite that competitive, it's also a lot newer though.
But like I've said in a previous post, there are good things and bad things about both companies and it's really not worth arguing about.
I enjoy your take on the two. I wish BGS take more action in promoting BGS services to the general public that is not aware of BGS. They should be promoting their strong points, like higher standard grading and improve the registry to make it competitive. They could achieve this like allowing special discount for people who grade whole collections that boost up certain targeted population counts within BGS.

(02-25-2014, 04:30 PM)jctone Wrote: I enjoy your take on the two. I wish BGS take more action in promoting BGS services to the general public that is not aware of BGS. They should be promoting their strong points, like higher standard grading and improve the registry to make it competitive. They could achieve this like allowing special discount for people who grade whole collections that boost up certain targeted population counts within BGS.
I agree! Their three main selling points (in my opinion) are their subgrades, grading standards, and guaranteed turnaround time. Hopefully, their registry can soon be added to the list. They should be promoted like crazy! You wouldn't believe how many people on the psa forum complain about PSA's turnaround time.
I like your idea of having special promotions for certain collections. As a Michael Jordan collector, this would be very useful for me.
You should think about posting your idea on the bgs suggestion forum.

(02-25-2014, 09:42 PM)altz11 Wrote: I agree! Their three main selling points (in my opinion) are their subgrades, grading standards, and guaranteed turnaround time. Hopefully, their registry can soon be added to the list. They should be promoted like crazy! You wouldn't believe how many people on the psa forum complain about PSA's turnaround time.
I like your idea of having special promotions for certain collections. As a Michael Jordan collector, this would be very useful for me.
You should think about posting your idea on the bgs suggestion forum.
The reason I like the idea of special promotions for certain collections is this bring over a collector who most likely will add to their collection and it will be in BGS population count. Slowly, this will bring more collectors and their prized collection to BGS.

I've done my share of criticizing PSA in the past but have to give them big compliments on recent experience. A while back I bought a 1960 Topps Venezuelan Whitey Ford PSA 2 for about $30 off ebay. On closer inspection, turns out it wasn't a Venezuelan. PSA stood behind their mistake and re-slabbed the card as a regular U.S. Topps at no cost and also gave me a $45 voucher. I recently sent in a couple of cards with the voucher and PSA was in constant email communication through every step and turned the order around much faster than I expected. They gave me a credit (on account) for the unused balance though I had to pay $8 shipping, not a big deal. The whole process was well worth slabbing a 1921 Exhibits Walter Johnson (PSA 2) and 1966 Venezuelan ERA leaders Koufax & Marichal PSA 4. PSA has also improved their card holder as well and will be shipping more to them in the future.

Have to throw in my compliments for Beckett though, Andy Broome at Beckett is a tremendous grader and worth following on Twitter.

On the down side, getting to the new registry build was a customer service disaster which in effect significantly changed my grading strategy. I still use Beckett, but am diversifying other collections to PSA and SGC for what otherwise would have been BVG & BGS business.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Cards I plan to keep I grade with Beckett and cards I will sell will go to PSA because from what I have seen PSA 10 sells for more than a BGS 9.5. Same with PSA 9 and BGS 9 as a matter of fact I had a BGS 9 sell for $11.00 and the same card PSA 9 sold for $36.00.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(03-31-2014, 12:11 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: Cards I plan to keep I grade with Beckett and cards I will sell will go to PSA because from what I have seen PSA 10 sells for more than a BGS 9.5. Same with PSA 9 and BGS 9 as a matter of fact I had a BGS 9 sell for $11.00 and the same card PSA 9 sold for $36.00.
Why do you think it sells for more? Is it because PSA is marketed more actively? Thanks.

Why would you grade a card with PSA? Greed or not caring. PIf you find some in great gradeable condition you can make at least 15-20 bucks for common cards graded 9.5 and for commons graded at 10 about 75 bucks. Stars will get you upwards of a couple hundred for a nice 10 grade, 9.5's on stars will get you 30-50 depending on the star. No card set is junk IMO...grading solved that problem long ago.lain and simple. PSA is for graders looking to profit. BGS is for collectors who want the best possible grading, slab, and protector of these cards. There are those graders who dont care about having the best, they just want cheap protection. I buy BGS cards ONLY because im a collector and I want the best for my money. I grade BGS ONLY because I want the most scrutiny available and am proud when I find a BGS 9.5 or a beautiful 10! When I have a BGS 10 in my possession I can be sure its a REAL 10!
I also find it hilarious when people compare a PSA 10 with a BGS 9.5 and say the PSA's sell for more. HMMMM, could that be because a BGS 9.5 is not a 10!! OF COURSE A PSA 10 WILL SELL FOR MORE THAN A BGS 9.5...but guess what, a PSA 10 will NEVER sell for as much as a BGS 10. Its a joke and a way that greedy people try to justify PSA 10's being okay even though theyre NOT 10's! Why would you want a slabbed card that says its a 10 and its not???
Wanted: any 1989 Upper Deck cards graded 9.5 across the board or better.

(04-26-2014, 11:42 PM)cardariffic Wrote: Why would you grade a card with PSA? Greed or not caring. PIf you find some in great gradeable condition you can make at least 15-20 bucks for common cards graded 9.5 and for commons graded at 10 about 75 bucks. Stars will get you upwards of a couple hundred for a nice 10 grade, 9.5's on stars will get you 30-50 depending on the star. No card set is junk IMO...grading solved that problem long ago.lain and simple. PSA is for graders looking to profit. BGS is for collectors who want the best possible grading, slab, and protector of these cards. There are those graders who dont care about having the best, they just want cheap protection. I buy BGS cards ONLY because im a collector and I want the best for my money. I grade BGS ONLY because I want the most scrutiny available and am proud when I find a BGS 9.5 or a beautiful 10! When I have a BGS 10 in my possession I can be sure its a REAL 10!
I also find it hilarious when people compare a PSA 10 with a BGS 9.5 and say the PSA's sell for more. HMMMM, could that be because a BGS 9.5 is not a 10!! OF COURSE A PSA 10 WILL SELL FOR MORE THAN A BGS 9.5...but guess what, a PSA 10 will NEVER sell for as much as a BGS 10. Its a joke and a way that greedy people try to justify PSA 10's being okay even though theyre NOT 10's! Why would you want a slabbed card that says its a 10 and it not???
+5000 Well said!!

-CC WIHPP
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-26-2014, 11:42 PM)cardariffic Wrote: Why would you grade a card with PSA? Greed or not caring. PIf you find some in great gradeable condition you can make at least 15-20 bucks for common cards graded 9.5 and for commons graded at 10 about 75 bucks. Stars will get you upwards of a couple hundred for a nice 10 grade, 9.5's on stars will get you 30-50 depending on the star. No card set is junk IMO...grading solved that problem long ago.lain and simple. PSA is for graders looking to profit. BGS is for collectors who want the best possible grading, slab, and protector of these cards. There are those graders who dont care about having the best, they just want cheap protection. I buy BGS cards ONLY because im a collector and I want the best for my money. I grade BGS ONLY because I want the most scrutiny available and am proud when I find a BGS 9.5 or a beautiful 10! When I have a BGS 10 in my possession I can be sure its a REAL 10!
I also find it hilarious when people compare a PSA 10 with a BGS 9.5 and say the PSA's sell for more. HMMMM, could that be because a BGS 9.5 is not a 10!! OF COURSE A PSA 10 WILL SELL FOR MORE THAN A BGS 9.5...but guess what, a PSA 10 will NEVER sell for as much as a BGS 10. Its a joke and a way that greedy people try to justify PSA 10's being okay even though theyre NOT 10's! Why would you want a slabbed card that says its a 10 and its not???
People grade with PSA because they like PSA for whatever reason. Doesn't make them any less of a "collector" than you or anybody. Additionally, people will compare a PSA 10 with a BGS 9.5 because they are assigned the same grade of "Gem Mint". The numbers given by any grading company are meaningless without a definition. SGC has a grade of 100. Does that mean an SGC 100 is better than a BGS 10 because it's a higher number even though both are defined as "Pristine"?