`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trends in pricing and selling of cards

RE: Trends in pricing and selling of cards
(01-18-2012, 06:04 PM)bryandavidknight Wrote: That's true. only time we will see stuff rise mostly is RC's of prospects who hit it off big or come out of nowhere and play well for a season.
This is just something investors/sellers like to say in order for people to buy Bowman LOL, and as soon as these investors/sellers are no longer in the market for a card that card drops just as quickly as any other.

All cards are affected by the glut of cards equally.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

My main interest was knowing more about vintage cards and Hall of Famers. I thought it would be interesting to see what cards have gone up or down, and when they get in some trouble/controversy, hit a big season or inducted into the Hall of Fame how much the cards go up and down. And what happens afterwards
I collect Allen & Ginter, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada, and Cuban Players!

I recall reading (I believe in one of the editor threads) that they intend to keep the "hot" and "cold" trends an exclusive feature of the mag.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Off-season stuff also affects the card values. For example, I'm sure Jesus Montero rookies have gone down while Pineda rookies have gone up.

(01-18-2012, 09:58 PM)ThomasAA23 Wrote: My main interest was knowing more about vintage cards and Hall of Famers. I thought it would be interesting to see what cards have gone up or down, and when they get in some trouble/controversy, hit a big season or inducted into the Hall of Fame how much the cards go up and down. And what happens afterwards
Interesting topic. From what I've seen with large (percentage) price increases, it usually happens after something unexpected. I remember when Kerry Wood through 20 strikeouts, his '97 Bowman Chrome went from being a common to $20 over night. In '98, when Sosa hit 20 hrs in June, his '90 Leaf went from $8 to $20.

I don't think Hall of Fame induction generally effects prices much. I know it didn't effect my Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, or Wade Boggs rookies. I think its mainly the speculation of the Hall of Fame that dramatically increases prices. After the player is in, their cards might level off or come down because their name isn't in the news as much. Its out of sight, out of mind. Back in '90, a George Brett rookie was around $180. Now its around $50.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Vintage is the only thing that holds value. Pre 1980 will always be in-demand, and thus will be bough at sold at decent levels. Of course, you can't hope for a gain like you would with a hot new rookie. But you won;t lose any money either.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

(01-24-2012, 11:07 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: Interesting topic. From what I've seen with large (percentage) price increases, it usually happens after something unexpected. I remember when Kerry Wood through 20 strikeouts, his '97 Bowman Chrome went from being a common to $20 over night. In '98, when Sosa hit 20 hrs in June, his '90 Leaf went from $8 to $20.

I don't think Hall of Fame induction generally effects prices much. I know it didn't effect my Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, or Wade Boggs rookies. I think its mainly the speculation of the Hall of Fame that dramatically increases prices. After the player is in, their cards might level off or come down because their name isn't in the news as much. Its out of sight, out of mind. Back in '90, a George Brett rookie was around $180. Now its around $50.
Not completely true - The book value of my Barry Larkin collection jumped almost 30% since he was inducted, and that is just the cards that actually have print runs high enough to have listed values. Many of his cards are still selling well over the increased book values. I'm watching an auction right now for a 94 SP holoview die-cut Larkin. Book value is $30 and the auction is already up to $46.55. The prices on his cards have been crazy since he was inducted (especially the autos and rare 90's inserts). With vintage, do you think that having so many graded versions has hurt the value of regular ungraded cards? Just a thought.
Need the following for my 1986-1995 Barry Larkin collection
(Currently have 477/479):

88 Score Samples #72
95 UD Electric Diamond Gold #405

Please send me a PM if you have any of these!
Interested in buying any other Larkin cards that I don't have as well!!

The 90's inserts are priced wrong in most cases. For instance...

I would like to find a Griffey Star Rubies or Precious Metal Gems at book value. When they show up it is more like 10x BV.

(01-25-2012, 10:37 AM)katieneack Wrote: Not completely true - The book value of my Barry Larkin collection jumped almost 30% since he was inducted, and that is just the cards that actually have print runs high enough to have listed values. Many of his cards are still selling well over the increased book values. I'm watching an auction right now for a 94 SP holoview die-cut Larkin. Book value is $30 and the auction is already up to $46.55. The prices on his cards have been crazy since he was inducted (especially the autos and rare 90's inserts). With vintage, do you think that having so many graded versions has hurt the value of regular ungraded cards? Just a thought.

Interesting topic.

I have not seen an induction to the HOF increase anyones prices besides MJordan.
WANTED:
- National Chicle: printing plates & 1/1's (baseball only)
- 1997 Studio: Masterstrokes, Hard hats, Press Proof, Samples, Signed, something rare.

PM me with what you have.

(01-25-2012, 01:06 PM)neonstatus Wrote: Interesting topic.

I have not seen an induction to the HOF increase anyones prices besides MJordan.
Every single one of my Larkin Autos increased in book value after he was inducted. Total collection value went up $8K overnight, so it definitely did in his case.
Need the following for my 1986-1995 Barry Larkin collection
(Currently have 477/479):

88 Score Samples #72
95 UD Electric Diamond Gold #405

Please send me a PM if you have any of these!
Interested in buying any other Larkin cards that I don't have as well!!