`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Stop Me!! I'm on a binge -- Team Collector help!

Please Stop Me!! I'm on a binge -- Team Collector help!
Alright, so I recently got a major bug to get back in to collecting Redskins cards like I did as a kid. But I went completely out of control. I can't believe how much things have changed since the 90s. I was purchasing all these cards left and right thinking I was making a major dent in the Redskins world.

For instance I bought 23 Devin Thomas game used/auto cards. Then I looked on Beckett and there is 500+ CARDS!!! Are you kidding me? 500 Devin Thomas game used/auto cards????

There are over 5000 redskins autos/game used in the past decade alone.

So does anyone have any tips to control this? Where do you start a collection and how do you manage your bankroll as well as possible? These shipping charges are absolutely killing me. I pay more for shipping than the cards itself.

Anyways, just venting again. This whole new world of cards is mind boggling to me. I need to slow down. But here is some of the highlights of my purchases. I will post some pics when they come in and I get a scanner on Friday.

2002 Playoff Contenders Championship Ticket Hawaii Michael Westbrook #/15
1999 Leaf Certified Mirror Gold Michael Westbrook #/45
2000 Playoff Momentum O's Michael Westbrook #8/10
2008 Topps Letterman Logo Patch #1/9
2008 Equisite Quad Jersey Devin Thomas #2/5
2008 Absolute Memorabilia Dual Jumbo Patch/Ball #4/10
2010 Moss/Portis/D.Thomas Topps Triple Threads Jersey #4/10
2008 Topps Triple Threads (Fitzgeral/Williams/Thomas) Jersey #1/6
2007 UD Ultimate Triple Sigs (Kolb/Stanton/Palmer) #14/15
2008 Topps Quad Patch Malcolm Kelly #2/10

The sad thing is, I realize that I can't continue this pace. I got to regroup and prepare for the long journey. I'm going to focus primarily on Michael Westbrooks and slowly accumulate player lots on ebay to avoid shipping costs.

How do you guys handle your team collections?

RE: Please Stop Me!! I'm on a binge -- Team Collector help!
I hope you won the lottery cause if not, it is an uphill long hard battle, lol! Welcome back to the hobby but many things have changed and it is just getting crazier. Smile
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

I felt that same way when I started back up. I was so lost. Everything was way different than what I had collected 15-20 years ago. It's crazy. Ive never been so much into trying to collect all the cards that exist of a certain player. I just collect what looks good to me and what I like. Trying to get sets are pretty fun though.
[Image: Untitled-1-1.jpg]

(01-11-2012, 02:44 AM)jncdrew Wrote: I hope you won the lottery cause if not, it is an uphill long hard battle, lol! Welcome back to the hobby but many things have changed and it is just getting crazier. Smile
Definitely didn't win the lottery, lol. It's insane. Last I collected the UD Game Jersey cards were just making a splash! I felt like I was getting a steal when I purchased a card for $10 for a scrub player autograph that was #d/25. Than I realized that it wasn't a steal at all. That scrub player has over 100 cards #d/25 or lower that are autographed or game used.

I should just focus on pre-2000 cards, lol.

I recomend not collecting every redskin player but just a few of them.
[Image: cbeg-2.jpg]
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Da...or%20Sale/
Chris Henry Collection Items:811/423 MEM:307/152 AUTO:395/175 Ser #'d:711/343 RC:38/37

(01-11-2012, 02:51 AM)aviat0rshades Wrote: I felt that same way when I started back up. I was so lost. Everything was way different than what I had collected 15-20 years ago. It's crazy. Ive never been so much into trying to collect all the cards that exist of a certain player. I just collect what looks good to me and what I like. Trying to get sets are pretty fun though.
That's a good point. I'm the type that needs to have a finish line. I'm drawing a line in the sand now and telling myself I'm not going to purchase any more cards #d/25 until I build up a solid enough collection to start dipping in to those kind of cards.

When I get my old redskins collection from storage I'm going to start focusing on just getting every team set from the 50s to now.

I had a very nice collection of cards from 50s, 60s, and 70s... that I have not seen in 12 years!! My parents are going down to AZ to pick it up and ship it back at the end of Jan. Can't wait!!

Here's what I did when assimilating the bulk of my Marino stuff...
1) Mutiple card Lots on eBay.... sure you'd get doubles, but if you look at the scan of the picture... add up what you'd pay for the cards you need 9 times out of 10, you get it for less.

2) Buying multiple card from one dealer per Beckett Marketplace purchase... If there was a card I KNEW I had to have on Beckett Marketplace, I would check the stores inventory and grab all the cards I would need from that one dealer.

3) Trading/ Buying in bulk from fellow collectors... Fellow collectors is were its at. They understand the high cost and want to help. Some people, even on this board, have 1000s of Redskins and 100s of Redskins Auto's and GU'd, just sitting in boxes. I am sure ALL of them could use an extra $100-200.

There's other sites these days that assist with the shipping costs that I WISH I had when I went all in on Marino. Luckily, you can take advantage of that site.

Other than that, just pace yourself. There is SO much out there these days, that it will drive you crazy. Just pick up what you want when you can, and 2-3 years from now, you will shock yourself. I think its bigtrip who stated in a post, last year he had 9 Packers Auto's, and now he's up to 250 different.

Good luck! Have fun! Any questions, just holler at me!
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

You can collect those cards that show the players in their home jersey only.

Pick one or 2 players to chase instead of all of them. Also I have easily a couple hundred Redskin singles and inserts, would love to unload them. Let me know if your interested, we can trade it I can sell.