Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Recommenation?

Set Recommenation?
Hey fellas-
I'd really like to pursue an opportunity to build a set. One of my problems, is that I'm pretty ignorant of products over the last 10 years. See if you can make a recommendation for a set. Here are some of my considerations:

1) I don't mind if this is a set that will take a few years to build....I also don't mind if it will only take a few months.

2) I'd prefer the set to not be base. Say somewhere between 20 and 50 cards? Maybe more...I think this set will end up being an insert set, possibly parallels?

3) As much as I love relics and autos, I think I'd like to go another direction. I really like the looks of the Allen and Ginter, Goudey, Goodwin, Kimball Champions cards... they have the retro feel, aren't glossy, even different sizes. I think my ideal set will feel "retro"...not neccesarily sharp photos, but almost look/feel like it is drawn? Not sure if that makes sense.

4) Set should be from either early 1990s, or between 2005 and current.

5) Budget Friendly. As you may know, my trade bin is pretty limited. Which leads to me to thinking that I'll be buying many of the cards either on the Marketplace, the Bay or individually with you. So I'd really prefer not to have to pay $20 per card... dollar value means much less to me than having a cool collection to look atl.

6) I WILL NOT BUY THE WHOLE SET ONLINE!!! The chase, I think, will be fun.

What say you?
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

RE: Set Recommenation?
You could go after the relic set from A&G. Most of them can be had pretty inexpensively on ebay. Another idea would be to go after a set of the diamond anniversary parallels from 2011 topps or even the gold parallels. It would be more cards then a relic set but it would be much cheaper to acquire.
[Image: braunsig.png]

2011 Topps Marquee...100 base set with #'d paralells... And it's pretty reasonable cost wise seeing as most people buy Marquee for the "hits" and shelve the others.

So what are some sets or subsets that are similar to the 2011 Topps Kimball Champions? I think I really would like to go for something that is shaped differently than the typical card?

If you want to just go with an insert set that won't cost you a lot why don't you think about doing just a Topps insert set like the Topps 60? If you do an insert set from the main Topps product then it should be easy to trade for almost every card and you won't have to spend your money.

I keep coming back to Kimball Champions... non glossy, retro feel, very cheap. The set is 150, so a bit higher than I would ideally like. You only get a couple per retail box, so the chase would be fun. What do you think? Are there comperable options?

If you want a fun set from the early 90s that you could put together by breaking boxes try putting together a 1992 Studio set including the Heritage inserts. Though you will need to get a jumbo box to get the Heritage inserts numbered 9-14 as they were only inserted in jumbo packs.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Maybe black mini '11 A&G? I think they look cool and it would be doable.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I'll have to look into black mini...base mini seems too big. I have decided on putting 2011 Kimball Champions together...Should be a good 1st set. Maybe Black A&G will be next...

I came back to collecting after being away for nearly 20 years. I have to agree that the Kimball Champions are a pretty sweet set to go after. I'm in it strictly for the collection building, so I've been impressed with most of the subsets and inserts, which were unheard of when I was a kid in the 70's!
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!