`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is this a crazy idea? I've made a decision

Is this a crazy idea? I've made a decision
So recently I have been thinking more and more about collecting and building sets from the 90s, maybe 96-99 years. I could finish a few sets I had started on years back but pushed to the backburner because of my PC. I really enjoyed many of the 90s sets and honestly, I am just getting tired of seeing the same Topps products year after year with the same jersey/auto/color, etc.

I have a couple of questions before starting out though.

1) Are boxes or cases of stuff from the 90s going to be expensive, or will they be relatively affordable?

2) Where is the best place to buy or shop (not ebay)?

If I can get some insight and advice to help me decide whether or not I should pull the trigger on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steven
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

RE: Is this a crazy idea?
I don't see the point in sinking your money and time into a project that will conclude with you having something that it, in essence, worthless. I guess the key is to pick a set or insert set that a) you like, and b) has some value on the secondary market, so that when you're finished with the thrill of the chase and the satisfaction of completing the sets has passed, you're left holding something that you can move and not lose your @$$ on. The mid- to late-90's had some AWESOME insert sets in all price ranges that would be fun to work on. I have always loved the 2000 SPx Signatures set, so I just started working on that one myself.

[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

RE: Is this a crazy idea?
(01-05-2012, 02:01 PM)keyser soze Wrote: I don't see the point in sinking your money and time into a project that will conclude with you having something that it, in essence, worthless. I guess the key is to pick a set or insert set that a) you like, and b) has some value on the secondary market, so that when you're finished with the thrill of the chase and the satisfaction of completing the sets has passed, you're left holding something that you can move and not lose your @$$ on. The mid- to late-90's had some AWESOME insert sets in all price ranges that would be fun to work on. I have always loved the 2000 SPx Signatures set, so I just started working on that one myself.

I agree with you in that I don't want to sink my money into any of the unmemorable sets from that era, but I would love a shot at getting some of those awesome insert and chase sets like you said. I had already started working on a few insert sets from the late 90s and will probably finish those up anyway, but as far as starting to build a new set what are some recommendations if you have any?

Maybe I should take a poll on let's say the top 5 or 10 sets (either base or insert) from the 90s to collect. That would make my selection much easier on which ones to go after.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

RE: Is this a crazy idea? Poll: Top 10 90s sets to collect
You might try 1999 Fleer Skybox Premium BB soul I think the set has about 14 or 15 cards if I remember right odds were like 1:14 packs of getting one I tried and was having fun just gave it up. Or 1999 Fleer Molten Metal BB OH Atlanta that set has 30 cards and holds a pretty good set value. Both do in fact !! Have fun.

I always enjoyed the Stadium and Studio series from the 90's. I remember Studio having a Gold & Platinum insert set that looked like credit cards. Traded the bonds someone on here a few days ago

I've said this multiple times before but 1997 and 1998 Donruss Preferred were awesome sets to put together, tough shortprints and really cool inserts especially if you hit one of the Precious Metal inserts. If you want a really fun challenge try 1998 Donruss Collections, it was a Chrome version of '98 Donruss, Leaf, Elite and Preferred, 750 card set (I think). I've been working on that one for years!
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

If you want a fun and somewhat pricey challenge, try putting together a set of Donruss Elite inserts from all years starting from 1991 to 1996. It doesn't require buying boxes as you will have better luck just buying the individual cards. What is nice is that they were sequentially numbered year over year with the last one being Tony Gwynn #72 in 1996.
However if you want to break boxes than I would recommend any of the Leaf and Donruss products from the mid to late 90s. They are fun to break and usually have some nice inserts in them.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I always liked the pacific cramers choice!! those are nice
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(01-05-2012, 06:30 PM)djohn Wrote: If you want a fun and somewhat pricey challenge, try putting together a set of Donruss Elite inserts from all years starting from 1991 to 1996. It doesn't require buying boxes as you will have better luck just buying the individual cards. What is nice is that they were sequentially numbered year over year with the last one being Tony Gwynn #72 in 1996.
However if you want to break boxes than I would recommend any of the Leaf and Donruss products from the mid to late 90s. They are fun to break and usually have some nice inserts in them.
I'm in the process of doing the same thing myself right now. something I could never afford as a young collector and now I want to build it for my daughter.

[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

I always enjoyed putting together the 92 and 93 Topps Gold and the 94 Score Gold Rush. A bit of a challenge but well worth it.

Ray