`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What set should I build?

What set should I build?
Hey guys, just got back from a trip to Europe and been thinking about building a set all year as my teams are pretty solid (Rangers, Wild).

I want to build a set that has the following characteristics in order of importance.

Will hold value (limited number of cards, does not have pre-collated factory released sets). (i.e. Dominion)

Large set that will feature a high number of players per team. (i.e. OPC)

Im willing to wait for a later product release if theres something coming out thats better than what is currently available.

Also I was wondering what sites you guys like for checking out set lists for newly released products.

Thanks in advance, any feedback is appreciated.

RE: What set should I build?
My guess is that the big sets like OPC don't hold value very well. But I can only talk about my experience with 07-08 OPC,, which I thought had bottomed out in value a year ago...but I was wrong. They cratered recently (didn't know that was so possible since we're talking pennies) but since I'm trying for the master set, I like this development since it makes many of the cards easier to acquire.

As far as what holds value best, people seem to favor the Cup (for limited cards in every regard) and SP Authentic.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

I think Sp authentic is probably the best set to collect!
[Image: ducksbann.png]

Collecting
2010-11 SP Authentic Future Watch Autos 30/62 = 48.38%
Cam Fowler Count: 32

Photobucket Link
http://photobucket.com/DucksFan87

Thanks, since were on the topic of sets, whats the difference between UD series 1 and UD series 2?

Series 1 is cards 1-200 with Young Guns 201-250
Series 2 is a continuation, base set 251-450 and YGs 451-500

For set collecting, this one is probably my favourite. The base set is fairly cheap, Young Guns are fairly easy to pull and the bigger name YGs tend to hold some value.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(01-03-2012, 01:48 PM)Merovius Wrote: Hey guys, just got back from a trip to Europe and been thinking about building a set all year as my teams are pretty solid (Rangers, Wild).

I want to build a set that has the following characteristics in order of importance.

Will hold value (limited number of cards, does not have pre-collated factory released sets). (i.e. Dominion)

Large set that will feature a high number of players per team. (i.e. OPC)

Im willing to wait for a later product release if theres something coming out thats better than what is currently available.

Also I was wondering what sites you guys like for checking out set lists for newly released products.

Thanks in advance, any feedback is appreciateand read.
I've been wondering this myself since I recently got back into hockey. The Cup is way out of my price range so I was thinking SP Authentic myself. I have the 09/10 set started only needing a few of the big guns. Box prices also seem reasonable. Upper Deck 1 & 2 just has too many cards for me although I love the YGs. If they would cut that set to 200 base and 100 YGs I'd be all over it.

Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

I just got back into hockey, but in the mid-late 90's I collected the SPx sets. Those sets were awesome, but I'm not sure if SPx is still that way or not. I liked last years SP Authentic set, thought about going after that myself as well.

I say UD1 and UD2 with YGS... that will hold value! right now

for Panini and ITG I am not sure what to recommend, hope that helps
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

With the design of all the cards and being a bigger fan of Upper Deck over Panini, I decided to build the Artifacts set this year. I am down to only needed 2 of the SP's /999 and 10 of the 42 rookie redemption's. I enjoy all these cards as they are all serial numbers and relatively easy to find. This product is also great to bust and there are lots of jersey, patch and combination cards of many players.

Chris
[Image: 35754349162_ed852a8323.jpg]

Bucket: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123198232@N04/albums
"ONLY TRADER ALBUMS ARE AVAILABLE"