`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Greatest wax ever?

RE: Greatest wax ever?
2004 and 2005 Donruss/Leaf/Playoff products were always fun to open and customers were always satisfied. Even at $3-$4 a pack, there were enough serial numbered inserts, Game-Used (assuming it's real), and autos which always had people smiling. Once Donruss lost its license, it was death for the wax market. I just couldn't justify spending $100+ on some UD box, just to pull that one $20 "Big Hit".
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

Topps and UD can't even come close to the product that Donruss/Leaf/Playoff released. It's like comparing CRAP and POOP...........
[Image: Thorpe.jpg]
[Image: scan.jpg]
[Image: Maris.jpg]
[Image: scan0008-1.jpg]

I remember 2001 Donruss had alot of inserts and nice cards in there as they added 1999, and 2000 cards in there since they never came out that year.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

05 Prime Patches and 05 and 09 UD Ultimate come to mind when I think of best wax to bust.

(01-01-2012, 05:38 AM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: how about parallels for a criterion? I love Topps Chrome almost entirely for the parallels
Or how about photography, set design and player selection? Best wax doesn't mean most hits/ability to flip.

Must be a generational thing.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

best wax at a relatively inexpensive price? 1992 Bowman, 2001 Bowman, 1989 UD. The Bowman products are great to rip for the RC's (and those sets are loaded!)- +the 01 product has some nice auto inserts...89 UD for the obvious RC + some fairly rare and still valuable error/variation cards if you're looking for the thrill of the chase outside the KGjr RC

(01-16-2012, 06:32 PM)bennyfunk Wrote: best wax at a relatively inexpensive price? 1992 Bowman, 2001 Bowman, 1989 UD. The Bowman products are great to rip for the RC's (and those sets are loaded!)- +the 01 product has some nice auto inserts...89 UD for the obvious RC + some fairly rare and still valuable error/variation cards if you're looking for the thrill of the chase outside the KGjr RC
funny story, kinda off topic, when 92 Bowman blew up and you couldn't find any packs anywhere, I was in wal-mart and these kids ripped open one of those blister boxes with mixed packs that was like $40 and stole a few packs. I just happened to look at the remains and there was 3 jumbo packs of Bowman left behind. So I picked them up and took them to the register and they rang up separtly. Had just enough money for those 3. think that was the most exciting packs I can remember opening in my younger collecting days. Pulled a Manny and Delgado RC and a few other nice cards.
[Image: bryansbanner2.jpg]
Braves certified auto count: 114 different players
HOF auto collection: 10 players
Looking for Braves auto's of current and former players.

(01-16-2012, 08:39 PM)bryandavidknight Wrote: funny story, kinda off topic, when 92 Bowman blew up and you couldn't find any packs anywhere, I was in wal-mart and these kids ripped open one of those blister boxes with mixed packs that was like $40 and stole a few packs. I just happened to look at the remains and there was 3 jumbo packs of Bowman left behind. So I picked them up and took them to the register and they rang up separtly. Had just enough money for those 3. think that was the most exciting packs I can remember opening in my younger collecting days. Pulled a Manny and Delgado RC and a few other nice cards.
Awesome find. Opening '92 Bowman packs was the most fun I've had opening packs.

In my opinion, there is nothing like putting a set together with packs and knowing if you pulled a decent duplicate, you could easily trade or sell it. Back around '98, I think I sold a Ramirez RC ungraded for $40 in Beckett Buy/Sell/Trade.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

1991 Fleer. The banana yellow was sexy.
[Image: braunsig.png]

Easily 2005 Absolute Memorabilia......awesome looking cards....and I loved that they used things beyond the traditional jersey/bat/pants and had batting gloves, cleats, hats, and all kinds of things in the cards....if you're going to do a memorabilia-heavy product, that's the way to do it for sure!
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]