`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should This Griffey be a BGS 8.5?

Should This Griffey be a BGS 8.5?
Well as you can see from looking at the card pictured the subs are 8 8 9.5 9. I guess im missing something here but that average should come out a 8.5. Don' have a lot of experience with graded cards so input is appreciated![Image: DSCN0899.jpg]

RE: Should This Griffey be a BGS 8.5?
The centering does look pretty far off. Corners look fine from what I can see, can't really tell about edges and surface
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

How do the averages work Thought If you had for example 2 8's and 2 9's that it brings it to a 8.5

It's not that straight-forward. They don't just average the 4 numbers. I believe 1 or 2 of the grades is weighted more than the others. It normally just happens to work out that way.

I do know that it is almost impossible to get more than a .5 higher than the lowest grade, regardless of what it is.
Example: if you have a card with 9, 9, 9 and 4 for example (horrible centering?), average would be 7.75, pretty sure you'll get a 4.5 anyway. Maybe a 5
[Image: zimmlewisbanner.png]

Pretty sure the overall grade can't be higher than the lowest sub grade. I know they don't just add em up and divide by 4.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadium-Clu...715wt_1037
Centering 8.5
Corners 5.5
Edges 9
Surface 8.5
Overall 6

So yeah if 1 sub is way lower it brings overall down with it
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

right what im saying thought is the grades are 8, 8, 9, 9.5 so it should be a 8.5 not a 8. Shoot I dont know

Corners and centering play more into the grade than edges & surface. But it really dont matter because when you grade you put the decision into the hands of who ever grades it. Cry all you want, it dont matter. Heck that Stras superfractor got a 9.5 when it was a good 80/20 on the centering. Looks like you took the grading gamble and lost....bummer.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

Grades are not given any higher than .5 higher than the lowest subgrade.....

Here's a good explanation I saw somewhere....imagine you have a bryce harper auto, and a 3 year old kid scribbled all over it with a crayon (heaven forbid, but go with it). It may have perfect edges, corners, and is centered 50/50, but the fact is, it's got crayon marks all over it....that's definitely not a BGS 9.5.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

It's like others have said. Plus, you got 2 8's. So you can't get higher than an 8. Also, Jeff told me something that even I didn't know. Centering is not always going to be the key subgrade. The key subgrade changes based on the card being graded. I always thought that centering was the key subgrade, but Jeff said that's not the case.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!