Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which condition should we use?

Which condition should we use?
Hello all!

I am a bit confused.. What condition should we use when we trading modern cards after the beckett change. Should we use Mint (9) that has 110% of magazine value or NearMint (8.5) with 100% magazine value. I am asking this because most use 9 and some use 8.5.

Yours Thorbjorn

Ps/ Please check my org for trading. I still have a lot to add but need time...

RE: Which condition should we use?
Oh man, Way to open up the can of worms Wink

This one is debatable. Some people will say when you open a pack of cards, they come out mint (9), Others will argue that no card coming out of the pack is nearMint. It seems like it's really up to the collector. Either way, I don't care as long as it's the same across the board.

The problem we've run into is with new people/cards, it gets entered into beckett defult as 8.5 now. When all the old cards got entered as a 9. To my understanding, Beckett did not go back through and change all of the 9's to an 8.5. So now, like me, you've got half a collection with an 8.5 and half with a 9. It's not a super big deal, but it can add up when trading BV for BV. I myself try to come as close as possible, but i've had jersey/auto cards before BV at 25.00. Since the change over they are now around 31.50ish. When you add 3 - 4 cards up, thats a lot of coin for bv for bv. I try to keep it in the +/- $5 dollar range, but on a 100$ trade, thats another jersey/auto card.

The thing that annoys me the most about the grading system is that it's based off a single persons opinion, but they don't really list how they came up with that opinion (as far as i know, i have not seen any grading sheets or anything). Seems like most people on here try to be honest and everything and get it as close as possible, but for the average collector like myself, I list everything at mint because I have no idea of the grading system. I feel if it comes out of the pack, no scratches, ding corners, etc. It's mint so i put it as a mint. I don't know what knocks it down a notch, i dont know what would make it an 8.5 or an 8 or a 7. I left all my cards at what beckett defaults them at, but sometimes i feel like the new cards i pull from packs i want to go put as a mint, but than i feel guilty because i know that increases their value, thus allowing me to get more cards out of a BV to BV trade. (which is really only what BV is used for Wink)

So, in conclusion, The answer is 42.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

If you think it's a "mint 9" enter it as so. If you think it deserves a lower grade, adjust it is my thinking. I agree; it all depends on the trader. Some use 9, 8.5 or the default 8
Pretty much trying to work on my YG PC.

agree with a can of worms

I think you enter as what you think...
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

Theres a 5 page thread on this already, I bumped it
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

I automatically downgrade any cards I pack pull at least 1/2 point below MINT (so an 8.5). I also tend to (I hope at least!) be grading my cards at least 1/2 point lower than I feel my potential trade partners would themselves grade it. So, if I have a card marked as an 8, I feel my trade partner would receive it and feel it should be an 8.5. Not a perfect system, but to my mind, it seems fair...
[Image: opiebanner.png]

Thanks to Tha Penguin for the banner!
Always looking for Senators and Canucks cards.

Opie's Senators Collection: 4036/14396 28.3%, according to Beckett's database

Maybe I'm wrong, but does it default to 8.5? I looked at my org quick and it seems like most of my cards are 8.5 and I don't change the condition when I enter them unless there are noticeable things like soft corners or dings on the edges.

Also what would you grade a card with 2 soft corners. I put it as a 7. Is that too high? I pulled it out of a pack that way too, irritating.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

mine defaults to "8" not 8.5+ so that's weird. I still go by the old pricing system so i use "8" for cards that come out of the pack with some minor issues. Since they still claim cards don't come "mint" anymore, wouldn't cards with issues like that be the norm? That's what i don't get about their change
Pretty much trying to work on my YG PC.

please use the 5 page thread
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)