`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Topps Tiffany Sets

Topps Tiffany Sets
Was just wondering how many folks here are collecting/have collected the Topps Tiffany sets? Yes, I've been a member here since 2005 but have only read posts until just recently, as the modern gluttony of insert/parallel cards has drawn me away from the hobby.

As a background on myself, I was born in 1980 and have decided to collect the base Topps sets, and Traded/Updates, from 1980 through the present. Until recently, I was also interested in collecting the parallel sets such as 1992 Topps Gold, and the Tiffany Sets. (Some of my favorite sets are factory 1992 Topps Gold and Topps Traded Gold, 1993 Factory Sealed Florida Marlins and Colorado Rockies Inaugural Sets, as well as the 1998 Factory Sealed Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Devil Rays sets).

I'm proud to say that I own the 1986-1991 Topps Tiffany sets, as well as the 2000-2002 "Limited" sets which are basically modern Tiffany sets. I can also claim ownership of the 1985, 1990, and 1991 Traded Tiffany.
I was VERY fortunate to grab the 1991 Tiffany Set (supposedly the lowest number production of sets in the series) for $140. Honestly, I consider these to be "true" parallels since they are exactly like the base cards, only of much higher quality. In addition, if you wanted them, you only had to ask for them. The parallels today have basically killed the hobby for collectors like me as I'll NEVER be able to collect a full set of gold cards, or platinum cards, or champagne-cognac-gold-platinum-silver-copper-lead-rhodium-Eisner's_toilet_paper parallels.

I'm also very happy to state that I have a full set of unopened wax/foil packs from 1980 forward. This includes the traded packs released in 1985, 1990, and 1991. In the past decade, when Topps made about 20 different styles of packs, I have focused on the hobby packs. It's pretty neat being able to look through my 1985 Topps and Topps Traded cards, and seeing the unopened wax packs as well.

Back to parallel sets. I find them to be fun to collect for the older series. The modern series, with the different card variations in the base sets, just drive me crazy. Yes, I know that it's considered a "complete set" with just one version of the specific cards, but to me it's not a complete set. I was ECSTATIC when for the 2002 Topps Base Set I finally acquired every single one of the Barry Bonds #365 HR cards. To me, that makes it a complete set. I'm still trying to do the same thing for the 1999 Topps McGwire/Sosa variations, but it's tough trying to pick up specific cards. I think the last "modern parallel" that I completed was the 2007 Topps Red Border cards. Took a long time and quite a few nights on Ramen Noodles to pay for the SP varities, but I did it. To me, the 1991 Desert Shield parallel is one of those older sets that I can only dream of. Will be nearly impossible to actually complete it, but over the years I could probably pick up singles here and there and come close.

Anyway, enough of my "woke up early and have too much caffeine running through my veins" rant. I'm just curious if there are any other old school Topps Tiffany collectors out there, and if so, what sets do you have and how did you get involved with the Tiffany sets? Was it because you worked in a hobby shop, or received one as a gift, or just liked the stock they were printed on and the 8" thick gloss coating on them? :p From my research, I'm about $1,000 away from completing my Tiffany collection. It's fun doing this.