`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
SGC Grading
12-20-2011, 08:06 AM
SGC Grading
The pricing is much cheaper than Beckett, anyone have thoughts on them or would paying the extra for PSA/Beckett be worth it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2011, 08:09 AM
RE: SGC Grading
For vintage I would always go SGC. Modern cards BGS or PSA. What are you looking to get graded?

[Image: 3ca337ff-c5de-4b14-b2e9-02a1aaf543cf_zpsf0aa0365.jpg]
12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
One of the three of the "big three" trusted grading companies. You're safe going either way on it.
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
SGC is great......Great Customer Service, Great Specials (this month they have a wild card special), Cards look great in their holders. A lot of people use them solely for Pre WWII Cards, But they do a good job with modern cards as well.

Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]
12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Mainly looking at about 40 of my 1989 Bowman/Fleer/Donruss Griffey Cards
12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
(12-20-2011 08:55 AM)jd2k2003 Wrote:  Mainly looking at about 40 of my 1989 Bowman/Fleer/Donruss Griffey Cards

I'd sub to SGC on this then especially with the cost. As someone else already said, they've got a special on 1980-present at $4 per card. Pretty solid deal that's tough to beat.
12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
(12-20-2011 09:03 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote:  I'd sub to SGC on this then especially with the cost. As someone else already said, they've got a special on 1980-present at $4 per card. Pretty solid deal that's tough to beat.

Thanks
12-20-2011, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2011 02:32 PM by scottboa2.)
I stopped using SGC a few years ago, when they stopped listening to my requests.
When I used SGC, I used to request that they place the card into a protective plastic sleeve
(like BGS does), as the sleeves make they cards look great, especially in the light. They have
done this for me several times. One day, I got a phone call from them, saying that this would
be the last time that they world place the card into a sleeve before encasing it in their holder.
I have not used them since. First rule of business - The customer is ALWAYS right.
12-20-2011, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2011 02:50 PM by ricelynnevans75.)
(12-20-2011 02:30 PM)scottboa2 Wrote:  I stopped using SGC a few years ago, when they stopped listening to my requests.
When I used SGC, I used to request that they place the card into a protective plastic sleeve
(like BGS does), as the sleeves make they cards look great, especially in the light. They have
done this for me several times. One day, I got a phone call from them, saying that this would
be the last time that they world place the card into a sleeve before encasing it in their holder.
I have not used them since. First rule of business - The customer is ALWAYS right.

What was there to be right/wrong about? They stopped doing it. So.......?

I used to work in a lumber yard while in college. Once in awhile, we would do something for someone that we didn't normally do 99% of the time due to various reasons, usually insurance. The possibility of someone getting injured and the company having to fork over money due to the injury didn't make sense in relation to the customer's desire.

SGC has never used plastic sleeves as their norm. The fact they did it at all, apparently for you, is kudos to them. However, since it's out of the norm, it probably alters some process of the way they do things. Unless you were submitting very large quantities of cards, I doubt they were going to change that process for a few cards here and there. If you wanted them to grade a card that they list on their "we won't grade" list, would you tell them the customer is always right? I doubt it because it says right on their site they won't do it, just as right on their site they detail how the cards are encapsulated. You may want it done a different way, but that certainly doesn't mean they have to do it that way.
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
(12-20-2011 02:30 PM)scottboa2 Wrote:  I stopped using SGC a few years ago, when they stopped listening to my requests.

I hate that term "the customer is always right". I think a majority of people who have "customers" will agree, the customer is rarely right.

Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]