`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy?

RE: What to buy?
Cant miss with Bowman Chrome. Good price, good mixture.
If you have less than 25 trades. I ask that you ship first!
Collecting RC's / Prospects / USA / Aflac & Mike Stanton......
[Image: Scan1-1.jpg]

I think the cheaper regular base Topps cards are fun for someone just getting back into collecting with the wide mix of insert sets and such, one can get a lot of variety in a single pack and they are players who are actually in the big leagues, not prospects, someone just coming back into the hobby may want to ease into following prospects, get to know who is playing already first. Also, seeing as you have not been watching baseball a product that mixes baseball with other pop culture oddities might be more up your alley ala Allen and Ginter.

They would not be my first choice at all for resale value if $$$ comes into the equation though in what one wants to buy, flipping hot prospects is where the $$$ is at and that can take years of investing before paying off sometimes.

(12-17-2011, 02:13 PM)jesterodx Wrote: Hey guys, new poster here. I use to collect cards from around 87 to 92. I've recently been getting back into buying some cards. I've been buying the cards I wanted back then, the Mcgwires and so forth. They aint worth crap but I always wanted them when I was buying packs back in my youth. I'm also going futher back and working on some vintage cards. The ones we all want but couldnt (in our youth) or still cant afford. Big Grin

I'd like to get into buying some modern cards but to be honest I am a bit lost with all the variety and I actually havent watched baseball in twenty years. It will take me a bit to get caught up everything.

Now what 2011 boxes would you guys recommend to start out with? Thanks for any guidance.
I love to collect, but I'm not as big of a collector as many here. Last year, I wanted something recent to collect. Because I like the USAs, I decided to put the 2010 Bowman set together (including inserts). The Harper and Strasburg Chromes were also deciding factors.

For 2011, I think it would be fun to open Allen and Ginter. I like autographs and cards that are kind of oddball.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

to jesterodx
I am in the same boat as you- and have really gotten into it over the last year. It's not the same as it was in the 80's and 90's where i had pretty much 4 products to choose from. now there is 40! And i can't just go buy packs anymore! (well, you know what i mean)
I would hit blowoutcards.com to see what is available on the market, you can also see what is coming out! if you have a Local Card Shop (LCS) buy there and support your local biz- and make sure he is competing (not matching, but competing) with online pricing-
-------------
best bets for you as you get back into it?
Topps (regular- still great cards with great inserts)
Topps/Bowman Chrome (still a good price- you get fewer cards- but nice and shiny!)
some of the other people that posted on here were talking about topps triple threads, tribute, etc..that's high dollar stuff for us working men. and its real hit or miss. i collect for fun and investment for my kids. not to make a quick buck
happy hunting and welcome to our world!

Based on the fact that you are into the 80's and 90's and vintage....maybe 2011 Topps Lineage might be good for you....it's got a nice assortment of players from todays RCs to the legends.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]