`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sheet cut cards

sheet cut cards
This is my first post to this forum so please bear with me if this is a discussion that everyone already knows about.

30 years ago I bought a number of football year sets - inflation was rampant and collectibles were on everybody's mind so why not. I put them in storage, never bought another card, and only recently decided to open them up and see what I got. Beckett grading facility is only 30 miles away so I have begun cherry picking the sets and submitting them for grading. Since they are all earlier than 1981 they automatically go in for BVG grading.

Mostly very excited about the cards I have and how much prices have appreciated (bought the cards for about 2.5 cents apiece) but now I'm reading about something called 'sheet cut cards' and how Beckett grades them but PSA does not.

Obviously this is a relatively new phenomenon and I'm wondering if it is more prevalent in one sports card category than others and if it is more likely with cards printed after a certain date.

Once graded I intend to sell all but a few. Clearly Beckett is most convenient but I'm wondering if I should switch horses and grade the rest at PSA in order to get the best prices.

RE: sheet cut cards
my first thought is ..... can you post pics of the cards in question (photobucket is the easiest way) and that way we can give you a more informed answer Smile

as per who's the best for grading, well Beckett is still the best IMHO, and if it's close that's a bonus Smile

Thanks for the feedback.

I know none of my cards are sheet-cut cards. They were year sets bought 30 years ago so I guess there are really two questions:

1. Has beckett BVG lost integrity vs. PSA because of the sheet-cut grading issue so that it is better to grade with PSA?

2. When I see a Pristine BGS card circa 1980-1985 that I might be interested in purchasing, should I avoid it if the sub-grades are 10s for edges, corners, and centering while the surface is 9.5 since these cards would be suspect as sheet-cut cards? Given the Joe Montana rookie card graded Pristine by BGS had these subgrades and still sold for $65000, it would appear that it doesn't matter.

BGS in my opinion will be they way to go either way as it is recognized my most serious collectors as the premiere grading service and will almost always command a much higher price in the best conditions then anyone else. Personally i will pay more for a BGS pristine 10 then i would a PSA 10 gem mint.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

I personally go psa pre 1990
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

dont some of this sheet card cutting blame have to be shared by fleer topps o pee chee etc
these sheets should have been stamped or punched so its not possible to pass off as a pack issued card??
bgs and psa both have graded them but bgs more frequent

(12-11-2011, 02:23 PM)Grigsby3 Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.

I know none of my cards are sheet-cut cards. They were year sets bought 30 years ago so I guess there are really two questions:

1. Has beckett BVG lost integrity vs. PSA because of the sheet-cut grading issue so that it is better to grade with PSA?

2. When I see a Pristine BGS card circa 1980-1985 that I might be interested in purchasing, should I avoid it if the sub-grades are 10s for edges, corners, and centering while the surface is 9.5 since these cards would be suspect as sheet-cut cards? Given the Joe Montana rookie card graded Pristine by BGS had these subgrades and still sold for $65000, it would appear that it doesn't matter.
1. As far as Topps 1980s and before.....yes.

2. As you dont seem to want sheet cut cards, yes. When you see a 84 Topps Marino BGS 10, with wide borders, all 10s but surface (the one thing they cant control), there is a good chance it is sheet cut.

BGS is best with cards 2000 and up. However ultimately who and if you should grade, just depends on what your desire is.

(03-19-2015, 08:03 PM)oswskey053236701 Wrote: bgs and psa both have graded them but bgs more frequent
show and prove this

(12-11-2011, 02:53 PM)CowboysFanatic Wrote: BGS in my opinion will be they way to go either way as it is recognized my most serious collectors as the premiere grading service and will almost always command a much higher price in the best conditions then anyone else. Personally i will pay more for a BGS pristine 10 then i would a PSA 10 gem mint.
Have to disagree with you 100%. While it's absolutely true that a BGS 10 is worth more than a PSA 10; it's because of the scales, not the graders. 9.5 is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of... it's a "gem", just not a "gemmy gem?"
10's aside the BGS system weighting leads to flawed grades. A card with a flaw rendering it an 8 can't be made a 9 by being 10's everywhere else. Consistency is also an issue. Obviously both BGS and PSA make mistakes, they're human. I just see them more with BGS than PSA. I have crossed 100's of BGS cards over to PSA and I'd say 50% grade the same, 45% are downgraded and 5% are upgraded.
The only clear cut advantage BGS has is they actually know what they're grading. PSA can be clueless about anything but a base card at times... I've actually had to send a card back 4 times to get it labeled correctly.
Nothing wrong with either, but just thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

A thread from 2011......someone must've been board....
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++