`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.9 Average
Message Board Hall of Fame

RE: Message Board Hall of Fame
I think this brings it all together. By that, I mean all the reasons WHY people are against this.....

(12-14-2011, 09:45 AM)shezdoni Wrote: I'm sorry, but why should the people that left because of a site hiccup be given recognition over those members that were loyal and stayed through it all?
What about the people who maybe weren't on here for other reasons??
- Are we ready to say - "I'm sorry you had a death in your family, but since you weren't on Beckett during that time, you are not eligible to be part of the Elite Beckett group"

- How about the people who lost/left jobs during that time?? - "I'm sorry you had to step back from the hobby for financial reasons, but hey, you didn't do enough to be considered a "Valued Member" so other people are going to be recognized above you now until you get your numbers back up.."

(12-14-2011, 09:45 AM)shezdoni Wrote: It's just like having a new trader send first until they prove themselves to be good traders,
No, it's not.

Trading/selling requires you to accept an amount of possible monetary loss if the other person isn't trustworthy. Whether someone posts on this site or not does not require anything from you. You will not be harmed if someone else doesn't post.

(12-14-2011, 09:45 AM)shezdoni Wrote: and yes, Beckett's is trying to get new members to use the site, but that still doesn't mean that they are going to recognize the new members over the LOYAL members,
those members that have stuck through all the site problems etc...

Why should they deserve the same benefits that the loyal members receive? As far as I am concerned they don't until they earn the right to receive those benefits.
So, someone who decides to sign up and be a part of the community doesn't get the same privileges as the others?? They need to PROVE they belong?? Prove loyalty?
How do they do that? Learn the "Uber-Secret Beckett Handshake"?? Do they need to memorize and recite the list of "loyal" Beckett members, along with thier collecting preferences?? Do they need to wear pledge pins and beenies?

(12-14-2011, 09:45 AM)shezdoni Wrote: Seriously the requirements should be as follows

1. Loyalty
2. Respect
3. Contribution
4. Helpfulness
5. Membership status

Why are you taking this so personally anyways about the people that left not being elgible until they prove themselves?
Why?? Because the more this is talked about, the more "Snubbish" it sounds. It makes Beckett sound like a "Jilted Significant Other". Did these people "CHEAT" on us?? Were they with another, and now have to earn our trust again??

People have less opposition to the idea, as much as they do to these terms. Base the qualifacations on a members worth, not their time in or whether they've looked elsewhere.
As I've said before, there are members on here who have been on this site for a whole lot less time than others, who have contributed more.

Honestly, up to this point I didn't care what happened either way, although I never really liked the idea.

Now I KNOW I don't like it....

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(12-14-2011, 12:20 PM)jaykayzee Wrote: I think this brings it all together. By that, I mean all the reasons WHY people are against this.....

Do they need to wear pledge pins and beenies?
Oh, my, do I have to give up my Beanie? I mean, I HAD to learn the uber-Beckett wiggle & jiggle to get it...
[Image: beanies.gif]

[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

Here's my thought after some additional reflection. Maybe have an annual HOF and base it off this past year. There are some members who've been here during the calendar year that have made a positive impact and shouldn't be held back as it were because they didn't suffer the hardship of the site from years gone by. I personally have been here on beckett for over 10 years but wasn't always on as the site was difficult but most members know me (some may not like me but it is what it is). No need to not provide those who make an impact recognition for it, especially if other members are voting for them.
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

Since you asked me a direct question, I will respond, although I think jaykayzee did a pretty good job of it already.

(12-14-2011, 09:45 AM)shezdoni Wrote: I'm sorry, but why should the people that left because of a site hiccup be given recognition over those members that were loyal and stayed through it all?
Why do you feel the need to exclude someone because they left for some time? Are they suddenly no longer a contributing member when they come back? The site was seriously broken for quite a while. The fact people stayed away for a while should not matter.
Quote:It's just like having a new trader send first until they prove themselves to be good traders,

Why shouldn't new members and those that left have to prove themselves to be worthy of being nominated to the Beckett HOF, and IMHO, those people that left have to start over new again, just like traders that left have too send first.
I've never heard the 'rule' that established traders who left must send first again when they come back. Even IF there is such a rule, it doesn't apply here.
Quote:and yes, Beckett's is trying to get new members to use the site, but that still doesn't mean that they are going to recognize the new members over the LOYAL members,
those members that have stuck through all the site problems etc...
Reread what I said... I said Beckett is trying to get members BACK. I said nothing about them getting NEW memvers. That is irrelevant to the topic. They want established members back and you want to exclude them when they DO come back. Some of those members might take exception to that. I left and I came back... I know I take exception to your exclusionary ways.
Quote:Why should they deserve the same benefits that the loyal members receive? As far as I am concerned they don't until they earn the right to receive those benefits.
Then perhaps you should have nothing to do with this, other than to suggest the HoF. You are too biased to see things clearly. You certianly do not lack for arrogance, that's for sure.
Quote:Seriously the requirements should be as follows

1. Loyalty
2. Respect
3. Contribution
4. Helpfulness
5. Membership status

Why are you taking this so personally anyways about the people that left not being elgible until they prove themselves?
I take exclusions very seriously. I'm sorry you are so glib about them. Membership into ANY Hall of Fame is never dependent upon "Loyalty". It is solely dependent upon their contribution to their given field. If anything, they often champion those that left or did little for a long time, then returned later to their prior form... Comeback Player of the Year, Honorary Achievement Awards, etc.

Additionally, I was gone for two of the reasons mentioned by jaykayzee... In 2010, I was unemployed from January to October, and decided to step down as moderator because my hobby habits had to stop. And at Thanksgiving, my mother passed away. So, because of what I consider two legitimate reasons to be gone for an extended period of time, I wouldn't be allowed in to your Hall of Fame... not that I would want to, given the current conditions for entry.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed