`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing cards in a safe

RE: Storing cards in a safe
My family's '52 Mantle is in a safe deposit. If you have anything of similar value this is your best option.

We also have a sizable safe for misc vintage cards, olympic pins, coins and jewelry. Its very old but very heavy and I feel confident that if we had a burglary, its contents would remain safe.

I dont have any specific recommendations but Id get something that cant be easily moved, that should put your paranoia at ease.

(12-07-2011, 12:56 PM)ceocards Wrote: I would suggest being extremely cautious about using a 'fireproof' safe for cards.

I read up on them once, and many of them (especially lesser expensive ones) are certified fire proof for only a limited timeframe - often only 30 minutes. Many also while being fire-proof aren't necessarily water tight, and one good hard spray from a fire hose would immediately soak everything inside.

If you have cards that are so valuable that they need such protective measures, be sure you're doing all the necessary research.
I've thought about the water tight issue also. I use a water-tight plastic container that's acid-free, I suppose someone could use zip-lock bags as well LOL and use them in their safe if necessary.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(12-07-2011, 01:18 PM)ThomasAA23 Wrote: my father uses a safety deposit box at a bank
That is my plan, not yet enacted. I would like a safe at home so I can view these cards more easily, but a safe deposit box in infinitely cheaper than a really "safe" safe.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(12-07-2011, 12:10 PM)kinarism Wrote: If your intent is to protect your cards from theft (rather than damage), then buying a $50 fireproof safe that can easily be carried away by a potential thief doesn't exactly help much.

Unless you are buying a very heavy safe and/or bolting it (from the inside) to the concrete slab in your basement, a safe is a fairly worthless investment (IMO).
While that is true, if burglary is your concern than consider this...A small safe is easier to hide, while a big safe is a target for thieves to try and break into.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(12-07-2011, 02:58 PM)djohn Wrote: While that is true, if burglary is your concern than consider this...A small safe is easier to hide, while a big safe is a target for thieves to try and break into.
Anyone skilled enough to break into a "real" safe is going to be targeting you specifically (not just a random breakin). And if thats the case then your only safe bet (no pun intended) is using a safety deposit box like others have said. Also, as others have also said, it is far cheaper than a safe (although not as convienient). My bank charges me $20/year for my box which would be large enough to hold probably 30-50 cards in toploaders if I used it to store cards.

Also take into account that fireproof doesnt always mean water proof...Id say take out insurance...I have it because I have far too many cards to put into a safe...Plus I like to enjoy them on a regular basis. And it also helps to have a big angry dog lol...I have a pitbull but she wouldnt exactly help protect the house...but would annoy the thief long enough for me to take action
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

(12-07-2011, 04:44 PM)kinarism Wrote: Anyone skilled enough to break into a "real" safe is going to be targeting you specifically (not just a random breakin). And if thats the case then your only safe bet (no pun intended) is using a safety deposit box like others have said. Also, as others have also said, it is far cheaper than a safe (although not as convienient). My bank charges me $20/year for my box which would be large enough to hold probably 30-50 cards in toploaders if I used it to store cards.
After having a break in at the house here, and losing just about every card I had. I went with the bank also climate control keeps the cards In great condition. If you just want to go and sit and look at your cards the bank doesn't care ( at least mine doesn't). in my opinion a cheap way to store your cards and the safest.

I have keep my higher end cards in a safe since 2000. I couldn't be happier. The lack od light keeps autos from fading and I know they are safe. I did allot of research and found gun safe have the best price per sq foot and are generally 3 hours fire proof. I have a SENTRY with a combination and a SENTRY with electronic combo (with a key for electronic failure) I love both of thes and got them one at BJ's and the other at Lowes due to the best prices ($350.00 each). My safe are also out of view if someone looks in the window. I also keep insurance in case of water damage
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks