`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
psa vs bgs

psa vs bgs
do you think bgs has stricter grading standards than psa?

RE: psa vs bgs
I think their published standards are stricter. I think the application of said standards is essentially the same overall between the "big three" grading companies.

(12-02-2011, 07:52 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I think their published standards are stricter. I think the application of said standards is essentially the same overall between the "big three" grading companies.
I couldn't disagree more.
(12-02-2011, 07:06 PM)blackitalian Wrote: do you think bgs has stricter grading standards than psa?
Yes I do.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(12-03-2011, 07:57 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I couldn't disagree more.

Yes I do.
why do you think that is?

(12-03-2011, 03:03 PM)blackitalian Wrote: why do you think that is?
Here's the thing, and I've asked numerous times on a few message boards without ever receiving an answer. Nobody can show/prove how and/or why one is "more strict" on grading than the other. Sure, people throw out the random, "I sent in a PSA 10/SGC 98 to BGS and it BARELY made BGS 9!". Yet, when you ask for what card they are talking about they never answer you. I could say online that I saw a cow eating steak at the Golden Corral but it doesn't mean it's true.

I actually purchased a BGS 9.5 online today that I plan on busting out of the slab and submitting to SGC. I'll be curious to see how it does. And yes, I know how to break out cards from BGS holders without doing damage.

Bottom line is, you're rarely going to get a whole lot of difference, if any, in a grade between the "big three". Sure, there will be differences because you know why? It's human beings doing the grading and last I knew, NOBODY is perfect.

Additionally, I don't know if I would want to go with a company that prided themselves on being "more strict". I don't care about that. I want an accurate assessment on the condition of my card by a company that is consistent in their grading. If I'm only worried about going with who is "more strict", then I'd be more worried about the label than I am the card which is NOT me.

I've been using SGC a lot lately to re-grade crossovers from grading companies with no reputation. SGC does a nice job. They catch all trimming and alterations. I would trust any card that they put out. I trust psa and Beckett, too. I'd like to see a study done on prices realized for graded cards from the big three. I have a feeling psa would stand out above the rest. That's just my opinion, though. I think thwta why they ask a premium price for grading, too.

You say you're planning to bust the card out of the encapsulation before submitting it to SGC. Why is that? Why not leave it in the encapsulation for a cross-over? Do you think it makes a difference?

(12-03-2011, 08:40 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Here's the thing, and I've asked numerous times on a few message boards without ever receiving an answer. Nobody can show/prove how and/or why one is "more strict" on grading than the other. Sure, people throw out the random, "I sent in a PSA 10/SGC 98 to BGS and it BARELY made BGS 9!". Yet, when you ask for what card they are talking about they never answer you. I could say online that I saw a cow eating steak at the Golden Corral but it doesn't mean it's true.

I actually purchased a BGS 9.5 online today that I plan on busting out of the slab and submitting to SGC. I'll be curious to see how it does. And yes, I know how to break out cards from BGS holders without doing damage.

Bottom line is, you're rarely going to get a whole lot of difference, if any, in a grade between the "big three". Sure, there will be differences because you know why? It's human beings doing the grading and last I knew, NOBODY is perfect.

Additionally, I don't know if I would want to go with a company that prided themselves on being "more strict". I don't care about that. I want an accurate assessment on the condition of my card by a company that is consistent in their grading. If I'm only worried about going with who is "more strict", then I'd be more worried about the label than I am the card which is NOT me.