`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where does "mint" end and "near mint" come into play?

where does "mint" end and "near mint" come into play?
hey guys just had a quick question where i needed some fellow members opinions. recently i bought a pretty big card for my pc (spent over $125), my question is when does a card lose its title "mint" and fall into the "near mint" category? the card is a real thick card and overall the card is in great condition, but two of the corners has those small tiny "niks" that i know a lot of cards get (especially the REAL thick cards), sometimes i myself get pack pulled cards like this. overall I'm happy with the card, but i'm a little uneasy about dropping this amount of money on a card that isnt in pristine condition and i'm just a little worried that if i ever did part ways with this card whether via trade or selling if the next person would be upset with me cause i too list the card as "mint" as it was when i purchased it.

so overall would the card still be easily still described as "mint", or should i take advantage of the 7 day refund.

I know its hard to get an answer without posted a scan but currently my scanner isnt working, but I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. any help would be greatly appreciated!

RE: where does "mint" end and "near mint" come into play?
Your fine. Nothing is mint and only 2 NIK corners are just fine!
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.

Not seeing a scan I'm going off assumptions - Based on your description if the flaws are minor you have a near mint card. A mint card is generally a 9 - A near mint is an 8 and a near mint+ is an 8.5. Considering chips in a card affect 3 of the major grading categories, corners, surface and edges I would guess you have a near mint to a near mint+ card (8-8.5). A future trade/sale would also depend on a person definition of mint/near mint and also how they look at thicker cards i.e do they take into consideration that thicker cards chip easily. Not knowing who the card is, what year, what set I cant support an opinion on whether or not to get the refund.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

yeah id ay it would get a grade of 8 or 8.5...so NM
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

show us some up close scans of the card and the corners. If it is so tiny and really just barely noticeable and the card isnt all scratched up or indented in any way then to me thats mint.
[Image: Dmurray29.jpg]
PC: Dez Bryant, Felix Jones, Demarco Murray.

its a adrian peterson sweet spot rc auto, im in the process of getting pics of it with the iphone, its hard to get it to show tho cause it has to be tilted and caught with the light in order for it to show... this is the ebay auction: (knowing where to look it can be seen a little in the top left)... and rereading it i guess it dosnt exactly say "mint", but i took the seller saying "extreme care... " and "gradeable" as the card being at least "mint" condition

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400257891709?ssP...1439.l2649

Near mint... There are hardly ANY mint cards these days... Especially the thick cards...
JAXON SHIPLEY SUPER COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!Big Grin

This is my experience with thick cards. All personally submitted by me. In my eyes if I was to purchase these cards as mint I would be comfortable selling them as mint because to the untrained and naked eye the look fine. I think you got an Adrian Peterson rookie auto for a decent price and could sell it for a decent price and not have any issues as mint vs near mint.

No noticeable corner damage

[Image: Dec01788.jpg]

Tiny and I mean tiny chip on the BACK

[Image: Dec01789.jpg]

Nothing noticeable

[Image: Dec01790.jpg]

Again small chip on the BACK

[Image: Dec01791.jpg]
Manning PC

thanks for all your imput guys, feel more comfortable now, one follow up question tho as to if i ever do decide to put it in my org for trade, should i do the specific mark of making the grade change on it, or is it acceptable to just leave it as the default 9? dont plan on putting it up for trade but just if i ever do for future reference.

thanks again! very grateful for having such a friendly/helpful environment with so many great collectors!

The right thing to do would put the correct condition on it but I know I myself never even look at that ....
Manning PC