`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three 9s and a 5 = a 6?

Three 9s and a 5 = a 6?
Hi all - I typically only buy graded cards, but recently gambled on a lot of ungraded OPC cards on E-Bay... I subsequently submitted them, and one return grade particularly shocked me - an 84-85 OPC Doug Gilmour RC came back at a 6, with subs of 5 for centering, but 9 across the board for the rest ... Is centering currently weighted that much?... I have other cards that look far less centered with a much better overall grade...

RE: Three 9s and a 5 = a 6?
If you read the grading criteria for BGS you will see that they will not give an overall grade more than one point higher than any one subgrade.

Lesson learned, I guess... Thanks for the feedback...

Here is the text from the FAQ's:

Quote:Also, please note that the final grade rarely, if ever, exceeds two levels above the lowest of the four characteristic grades. For example, if a card has characteristic grades of Centering 10, Corners 6, Edges 10 and Surface 10, the final grade will be a "7" (of which is exactly two grading levels above the lowest characteristic grade).

I have a Lindros from Ultimate Memorabilia 2 that falls into this category as well. I think it is more common that you would think.

Thanks again... Haven't received the cards back yet (couldn't resist looking at the grades on line), but my recollection was the centering was nowhere near as harsh as they obviously graded...

(11-23-2011, 11:22 PM)blindros88 Wrote: If you read the grading criteria for BGS you will see that they will not give an overall grade more than one point higher than any one subgrade.
I agree with above... in a way it stinks if you get a card that is all 9's and then 1 thing is off and drops your card grade completely. i wonder what does PSA do on vintage
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)