Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you doing during the lockout?

What are you doing during the lockout?
Hey everyone,

Susan here. I'm writing an article for Beckett about the NBA Lockout.

I want to know how it's affecting collectors. Are you buying more cards? Buying less cards? Have you been able to find any cool deals? Have you stopped buying cards altogether?

I want to know.

If you're interested in being part of the story, shoot me an email at susan.lulgjuraj@gmail.com

Thanks!
Susan
Beckett Football and Hockey Editor
Email: SusanL@beckett.com
Twitter: @YanxChick

RE: What are you doing during the lockout?
I'll shoot you this in an email later, but I'll post it here first.

The lockout has it's plus and minuses for me both long term and short term.

Short term positive - I can concentrate on getting cards I don't have that I need/want for my PC (12,000+ different Pistons cards I need) and it allows me to focus on family matters (especially around the holidays).

Short term negative - I really want to break some new product. Smile

Long term positive - While this sucks for many sellers (I'm not a big seller) prices are going down and may stay down for some time because of people losing interest in the NBA while all of this is going on. Therefore, I can pick up much more quality cards are awesome prices. I've already picked up about 10-15 mid-high end singles (base, GU and AU) for less than $50.00.

Long term negative - I'm afraid that this may affect the hobby in terms of people to trade with in the future, over production of product to make up for lack of production time, and other issues.

I also would REALLY love to be watching the Pistons play right now to see how our draft picks turned out and if we can right this horrible ship we've been on. Hopefully they can right the wrongs very soon and we'll have something to watch, and to break, within the next few months.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

This is what I sent.

Subject- What collectors like myself are doing during the lockout.........

I live in Oklahoma and having the only state's professional team in a labor lockout is detrimental to the hobby I have loved long before we had the Thunder. I have seen alot of local collectors selling all NBA cards and leaving the hobby, when it feels like those collectors just started.

The secondary market prices are at a low and yes I have even sold off parts of my collection to learn this the hard way. The older products are making a comeback and I love to see that, but in the end the lockout at this juncture in NBA history is a huge setback to it's popularity and inturn, to its memoriblia and cards.

I believe that the older products are more popular now because of the lack of new products and a new rookie class to invest in. The fact that only one company could make NBA licensed cards last year does not help the popularity of collecting NBA cards either. I find it kind of ironic that Upper Deck is probably doing better than Panini on basketball card sales because UD now only issues collegiate / HS baskeball cards and hasn't missed any release dates on new products.

MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

Watching Football...

(11-23-2011, 07:12 PM)dodgytrousers Wrote: Watching Football...
lol. Short and sweet. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Thanks for the responses. I know with Thanksgiving - and some shopping thrown in - it could be busy this weekend. But I appreciate anything you could send.

I miss baseball.
Beckett Football and Hockey Editor
Email: SusanL@beckett.com
Twitter: @YanxChick

college hoops and if there is not an nba at all this year boycotting next season!!
Personal Collections are as follows :
1) Knicks (anyone who has worn the jersey at one time or another and made a significant impact on the team.)
2) Latrell sprewell
3) Amare Stoudemire
4) Carmelo Anthony
5) Steve Nash
6) Chauncey Billups

im watching college hoops and find myself buying more kings cards for my pc. It also sucks a lot because i cant go to games and get autographs.

watching soccer.. MLS... was not into soccer before the lockout.. only started watching it more after traveling around South America over the summer (which is their winter). I was deployed down there with the Navy for 6 months.. during this time, the Copa America was going on.. so when we pulled in, almost every week, we hit the bars to watch the futbol games..

The lockout is killing the basketball collecting hobby. Having only one manufacturer for NBA cards hurts even more.

I for one been trying to go back & collect older cards to complete some sets or subsets.. also chase down a few RC cards for the years I did not collect. I been collecting off & on since 90.. actually got my first cards in 87, but being only 7 years old.. didn't know that they would be worth something..

The Sell of cards is at an all time low. It is hard to sale on the secondary market. I am not a huge seller & am afraid to put my cards in .99 cent auctions.. I put reasonable start prices, but don't get any bites. Even a Michael Jordan UD BLACK AUTO that sold for over a 1,000 when they first came out, only sold for $599. I am trying to sell an Exquisite Lebron auto box (plus 4 other cards, 2 are auto), but I am not getting any hits on it. I seen similar collections sale for over $3,000... Seems like only a few star players are selling good. Others, including kobe, are not selling... you can buy a kobe auto for under $125. His autos are over produced... so I stay away..

trying to buy older products... in the mean time I will save my hard earned money for older cards or new products... or maybe a vacation.. got to go to Europe or the UK, since I been all around South America, Asian, Middle East & the USA.

Happy thanksgiving weekend.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

Looks like the lockout might be over so this article may be outdated already?