(Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Having to pay to be Organized
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Sad Having to pay to be Organized
Hi
I was trying to check out some organized pages for trades...which I have been doing for several days...in addition to adding cards that are on my FREEwebs site to my organize...everything seems to be fine...
Then all of sudden...up pops a notice that if you want to use the organize...it is going to cost you $19.95 a year? Huh
Is Beckett trying to squeeze blood from are rocks?
You'd think that if your all ready havg to pay for the price guide, you'd at least get to list your cards to trade.
I know it costs to get a web maker who can at least get the smiles to be entered into the text without having to type the code yourself. Sad
So is this for real?? I didn't see any notices anywhere...
lmk Bob

Looking for ...
1)autos of Gwynn, Headley, Venable, as well as Chargers... Gates, and Rivers.
2) autos/gu'd of Baldelli, Zobrist, rare Red Soxs
3) HOF autos, game-used and #<50

Trade Sites
http://www.freewebs.com/gwynn_fan/
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/gwynn_fan/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2011, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 01:36 AM by shezdoni.)
RE: Having to pay to be Organized
Since your able to add cards to your organize, I am assuming that you have the OPG, Organize comes with the the OPG for free, People who do not pay for the OPG have to pay to use Organize at $19.95 a year.

The reason your getting that message when trying to view other member's organize, it is because THEY didn't buy an OPG or pay for an Organize subscription

Beckett's is now an adult website, anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to post on the boards and more importantly, they are not allowed to trade, this is the main reason for going the "pay to trade" route, by charging for organize.

The reason for this is, is to protect the members here.

there are laws in every state that forbid anyone under the age of 18 from entering into contracts with an adult 18 or older, a trade agreement on Beckett.com legally constitutes as a valid contract.

If a minor enters into a contract with an adult, and decides that they don;t want to keep their end of the agreement, and does not send out their end of the trade, there is no legal action that the adult can take against the minor, because legally the trade agreement is null and void since the minor is under the legal age to enter into contracts, it could also cause legal problems for the adult if the minor claims that they were coerced into making the trade agreement with the adult, and that they really didn't want to make that agreement.

As for the notices, there was an email sent to every member in February or March I believe, informing us that these changes would take place.

Also there is a notice in the TOS (Terms of Service) that everyone agrees to before joining, that states a person must be 18 years of age or older to post in the forums or to make trades.

it's not that the Employee's of Beckett Media don't want Children to use their site, it's the fact that they have to protect themselves from any legal problems that may occur in the foreseeable future.

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
(11-21-2011 01:26 AM)shezdoni Wrote:  Since your able to add cards to your organize, I am assuming that you have the OPG, Organize comes with the the OPG for free, People who do not pay for the OPG have to pay to use Organize at $19.95 a year.

The reason your getting that message when trying to view other member's organize, it is because THEY didn't buy an OPG or pay for an Organize subscription

Beckett's is now an adult website, anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to post on the boards and more importantly, they are not allowed to trade, this is the main reason for going the "pay to trade" route, by charging for organize.

The reason for this is, is to protect the members here.

there are laws in every state that forbid anyone under the age of 18 from entering into contracts with an adult 18 or older, a trade agreement on Beckett.com legally constitutes as a valid contract.

If a minor enters into a contract with an adult, and decides that they don;t want to keep their end of the agreement, and does not send out their end of the trade, there is no legal action that the adult can take against the minor, because legally the trade agreement is null and void since the minor is under the legal age to enter into contracts, it could also cause legal problems for the adult if the minor claims that they were coerced into making the trade agreement with the adult, and that they really didn't want to make that agreement.

As for the notices, there was an email sent to every member in February or March I believe, informing us that these changes would take place.

Also there is a notice in the TOS (Terms of Service) that everyone agrees to before joining, that states a person must be 18 years of age or older to post in the forums or to make trades.

it's not that the Employee's of Beckett Media don't want Children to use their site, it's the fact that they have to protect themselves from any legal problems that may occur in the foreseeable future.

That is some good reasoning behind the charges... Now all they have to do is clean out all of those accounts that didn't pay, archive them, and go on with the business at hand. It is not fare to paying customers to make them wade through endless posts from people who can't trade.

Ray

11-22-2011, 01:32 AM
(11-21-2011 08:55 AM)ktcardshop Wrote:  That is some good reasoning behind the charges... Now all they have to do is clean out all of those accounts that didn't pay, archive them, and go on with the business at hand. It is not fare to paying customers to make them wade through endless posts from people who can't trade.

Ray

Wait, what?

I really hope I'm misunderstanding your post here and you're not actually saying that people who don't want to pay for or can't afford the added expense of the OPG and/or the organize function shouldn't be allowed to post here.

If you're only referring to people who can't trade posting in the trading section then ok, I see your point.

But if you're not, then your post is a ridiculous statement.

Because there's no reason people should want to come to a message board and chat about cards, see box breaks, and make friends with fellow collectors...right?

[Image: NewBitmapImage4-1.jpg]

[Image: NewBitmapImage2.jpg]

Working on: 2011 Topps 60/Next 60 unique Autos (50/142) & Relics (?/101)
11-22-2011, 07:32 AM
(11-22-2011 01:32 AM)TheLastDude Wrote:  Wait, what?

I really hope I'm misunderstanding your post here and you're not actually saying that people who don't want to pay for or can't afford the added expense of the OPG and/or the organize function shouldn't be allowed to post here.

If you're only referring to people who can't trade posting in the trading section then ok, I see your point.

But if you're not, then your post is a ridiculous statement.

Because there's no reason people should want to come to a message board and chat about cards, see box breaks, and make friends with fellow collectors...right?

My point is, when searching for traders I find that many of them have not subscribed and therefore when you try to access their Org you get a message that you (They) need to subscribe to gain access. I never said anything about posting of accessing the forums or the message boards only when they converted from the old beta version to the present version everybody was archived and when you accessed your page it was converted and appeared in the new format. Somewhere along the line it seems that most of the archived pages were activated and now clutter the trade forum with unusable trade pages. Maybe what they need is a version for people who only want to post to the forums or buy online (When marketplace gets fixed) and does not include the trade functions..

Ray