IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day with the Cup inserts

A day with the Cup inserts
Hey all,

I have a question for you guys.

So yesterday I pulled what seemed to be another low end insert, Zdeno Chara "A day with the Cup" from Series 1. I couldn't find the insert set on the checklist anywhere.

When I looked online, they seem to be selling for $45-$50. This seemed weird so I asked about it on another forum. I was linked to the article on here that informed me that they are a previously unannounced insert set that are super hard to find (1:1000 hobby, 1:2500 retail, 1:5000 fat packs).

So far 4 have sold online, all in the $45-$50 range and there are only 2 more on there, one with a BIN of $59.99 and $15 shipping and the other at $30 with a few hours left to go.

So my question is this: Do you think I should trade the thing now because it's value will go down from here OR do you think the value will increase once the word is spread about just how hard these are to find?

I ask because at first glance the card is not really anything special and I'm sure not everyone has the info about just how rare they are yet.

Basically, I am wondering if you think it could turn into a set similar to the Gold starquest inserts and in couple of years they will be impossible to find? If so, I may have to hold onto it.

Let me know what you guys think.
Currently Collecting Patrick Roy, PK Subban and Carey Price.

My Bucket http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/adamslogik2/

RE: A day with the Cup inserts
Sell it now.
It doesn't compare to the StarQuest Gold.
Only Chara collectors will be after it, and how many are there? Everyone wants to be first, not last.
Sell it now.

(11-20-2011, 01:09 PM)hockeynick1721 Wrote: Sell it now.
It doesn't compare to the StarQuest Gold.
Only Chara collectors will be after it, and how many are there? Everyone wants to be first, not last.
Sell it now.
I figure there might be some BOSTON fans (there are alot of them) who want to try and put the set together. I mean, it will be an expensive set, but it would be quite and accomplishment. If it had been a set of Habs cards commemorating their stanley cup victory, I would definitely be trying to put it together.
Currently Collecting Patrick Roy, PK Subban and Carey Price.

My Bucket http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/adamslogik2/

Actually, these should hold their values quite well as they're part of the eponymous Upper Deck Series 1 & 2: There are a LOT of people that attempt to put master sets of these together year after year.

They might soften a bit, but i'd assume that they will always range in the 20-50$ so i wouldn't worry too much about trying to offload asap...
Slamming down the Haterade since 2008-09...

Welcome back Adam...hope you at least sport a base tan now!

As for sale value, my guess is that there'll be a regression to the mean, despite the fact that rarity of your insert isn't widely known. The most sophisticated collectors probably already know about it, number one, and even assuming that many don't, prices plummet over time in almost every case anyway...maybe with the exceptions of prospects who exceed expectations (Stamkos).

I'd say the best case scenario is that they retain sale value for years to come, but I can't see it going up measurably up unless you're willing to hang onto it for 50 years, hoping that the rarest cards, even inserts, become the most valuable items. You have at least another month, I'd think, before prices drop a lot on those, if they're going to do that, so you might as well hold on for a few weeks. Random thoughts from the noob...
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

flip a coin

i know a few folks doing the set now.... 1 guy I know pulled the Savard and sold it within hours for $30.... he just smiled on the way for the box
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

I had the same question with the 08-09 UD Super Skills inserts. However, they cant be that rare because i have super skills of stasny, malkin, iginla, and 2 crosbys (traded both crosbys). I never new why the BV was so high. The crosby was BV $40 and the others were aroung $20-30 (I could be wrong on the others but i know crosby was $40). So anyway, I'm not sure why UD does these inserts that are super hard to find and there not even #'ed or anything?

was at a card show today and these "day with the cup" cards were a constant topic of conversation among dealers. They were all talking about prices in the neibourhood you mentioned.

I would sell now.
[Image: gilmourbanner-1.jpg]
I collect Doug Gilmour
Team tags added to all cards in bucket so you can view by your favorite team! http://photobucket.com/scottms13