`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Grading Companies

RE: Grading Companies
(04-01-2012, 05:14 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: i bought a GEM mint 10 ....1981 Joe Montana Score Rookie Card #216.....
Should i get it crossovered here at Beckett or SGC......last i heard PSA required a annual subscription fee..is that correct?)
I have used Beckett a few times and currently have some being processed...Even the JSA autographs are good.

Which company would i have a higher grade at? in hopes of maintaining a 10.
For starters, I don't think that it's Score. I think you meant Topps.

And, if you use any of the Big 3 (BGS/PSA/SGC), I don't think you have a snowballs chance in September of keeping the 10. I'm just being realistic here.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I had a GAI 10 Frank Thomas rookie and sent it to BGS. It came back a 9.
So usually GAI and SGC are one grade lower than PSA and BGS.

(04-01-2012, 08:53 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: I had a GAI 10 Frank Thomas rookie and sent it to BGS. It came back a 9.
So usually GAI and SGC are one grade lower than PSA and BGS.
Based on what exactly?

I see a lot of people saying BGS for new and PSA for vintage. I'm on-board with that and really like the look and quality of BGS holders... however, if you're looking for resale value, PSA appears to be #1. A good example is the 93 SP Jeter. PSA 9's consistently sell for $500+ and BGS 9's about $200. Not sure why. I have a REALLY nice old label BGS 9 Jeter that I'm considering sending to PSA just to cross it over for the same grade.

Anyone else seeing this? Also, who do you think is tougher these days? Back in the day BGS for sure but they're definately lightened up... probably why the value has taken a hit. I have about 30 high-end 90's inserts that I'm trying to decide where to send. Resale value is definately important to me, even if the grades are tougher to come by.

(04-02-2012, 05:29 PM)bcwaxbuster Wrote: I see a lot of people saying BGS for new and PSA for vintage. I'm on-board with that and really like the look and quality of BGS holders... however, if you're looking for resale value, PSA appears to be #1. A good example is the 93 SP Jeter. PSA 9's consistently sell for $500+ and BGS 9's about $200. Not sure why. I have a REALLY nice old label BGS 9 Jeter that I'm considering sending to PSA just to cross it over for the same grade.

Anyone else seeing this? Also, who do you think is tougher these days? Back in the day BGS for sure but they're definately lightened up... probably why the value has taken a hit. I have about 30 high-end 90's inserts that I'm trying to decide where to send. Resale value is definately important to me, even if the grades are tougher to come by.
If you're concerned about the resale value, I'd go with PSA.

(04-01-2012, 06:26 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: For starters, I don't think that it's Score. I think you meant Topps.

And, if you use any of the Big 3 (BGS/PSA/SGC), I don't think you have a snowballs chance in September of keeping the 10. I'm just being realistic here.

My bad..it is Topps. Below is the pic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0390526918

If i did cross it over---a 9.5 wouldn't be bad..but if its a 9, then it drops considerably... a 8.5 would come out even.

(04-03-2012, 10:13 AM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: My bad..it is Topps. Below is the pic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0390526918

If i did cross it over---a 9.5 wouldn't be bad..but if its a 9, then it drops considerably... a 8.5 would come out even.
You could also try a PSA crossover, a PSA 9 would get you 300-400.

Thanks. but i dont have a PSA subscription.
I'd like to hear a answer from the 2nd part of my questions:

Plus. I have a 1947-66 Exhibits Mickey Mantle card (with blank back and name outlined in white)
Notice its a larger size card..Where would i send it off to?

At last...on vintage cards...that are in very poor shape....How should they be sent? Right now it is in a screw down holder. Being careful..what should i do to send it? It is a 33 Goudey Babe Ruth. Could i just sandwich it between 2 card holders or something..what is best.

Different subject....Nascar racing programs....with tons (over 50) autographs....Does Beckett even do such a thing? Or just sending it to JSA for a certificate of autograpghs?