`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
OT: The Post Office and the Future of the Trading World

RE: OT: The Post Office and the Future of the Trading World
(11-16-2011, 01:54 PM)cybertrenz02 Wrote: I'm a garbage man and I almost never get a good job or even a smile when people look at me....only time I get a good job is after I plow them out of the snow....a thank you or even a good morning, have a nice day goes a longgggggg way in any service industry....so remember when your waiter gets your order wrong....probably something going on in his life that he was thinking about at the time that made him make a mistake....
Well bro let me be one of the few to say thank you for your service to your country and more so to your community. You are undervalued and under appreciated and that bothers me just like our postal workers. I know this thread will get closed soon but there are some good people here on beckett and cyber you are one of them my friend! And good point about the waiter/waitress making a mistake. Sometimes people just have a bad day and people should take that into consideration.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(11-16-2011, 12:57 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Salaries will be cut, workers will be laid off, prices will rise, Saturday deliveries will be a thing of the past. All of these things will happen or there will be no more postal service. It's that simple.

The postal service IS a thankless job. The service itself has been grossly mismanaged, but that is not the fault of the postal workers. Lots of people are quite misinformed and take the service for granted however. (Just see the comment made by "the shadow" above, for instance.) Problem is that the USPS has been run like a government program, not like a business. Either is starts being run like a business or it will fail... like a poorly run business.
+1000 Agree all the way.

I'm not upset at anyone finding a job that pays well but it is a shame that they make so much more than police or firefighters.

(11-16-2011, 01:44 PM)Sajman01 Wrote: I work for the post office at one of the Priority/First Class processing facilities. There's alot of mis-information in this thread so allow me to clarify.

Firstly, the post office is not in debt. The post office turns a profit yearly, however, the government requires the post office to make a payment into the 'Future Retiree Health Benefits' fund that won't even be touched in the next 50 years. It's basically a fund that the government uses to pay off other expensives since there is a good chance that the post office will be dissolved by the time the fund would ever go into effect.

As for the insane wages that postal employees make, no they don't. They only get 25+/hr on overtime, however, most postal employees are forced to due mandatory overtime as work hours for a given week range anywhere from 60 to 80 hours.

Simply put, the government takes away all the postal profits to spend elsewhere, leaving the post office with no extra money. Since the post office has no extra money, it can not hire extra personnel. Leaving all postal facilities extremely undermanned creating large amounts of overtime and other things.

My facility, which as I stated earlier processes Priority/First Class mail, requires 350 people to run at maximum efficiency. Presently, my facility employs less than 150 people. Now what that implys, I can not say for obvious legal reasons, but I am sure you can imagine.

I'm a big collector and I understand your hardships, blame your congressman, it's not the post office's fault.
Hate to disagree but i know in my area that they are payed better than that.Out of 3 postal workers i have known well enough to know their pay,1 made over $30/hr,1 made $25+/hr,and the other made $24.50/hr as a part-time driver and got 30-50 hrs a week.

You did expose the main problem however.Just like Joe Callahan13 said its run like a government program instead of a business.If all that money didn't go to other programs nobody would be talking about 5 billion in debt.

Thanks Ironman71635
[Image: hillis.jpg]
I collect Felix Jones,Darren Mcfadden,D.J. Williams (Arkansas TE),Ryan Mallett,and Mike Alstott. Peyton Hillis Super-collector 273/375 73% complete and looking for more.

Not sure if anyone else has commented on this yet, and I really don't want to touch on the whole subject of postal rates, but how about we blame raising costs of selling things on auction sites such as ebay? They now charge the seller for shipping and handling fees. How the hell are we letting that go and then blaming USPS for raising costs? I know there were some nefarious sellers out there gouging on the shipping, but wasn't that up to the buyer to decide whether they wanted to deal with those sellers?

If the pay is so good, why don't more people work for the post office? The way people here describe it, it is the $60,000 dream job.

Besides, if I can pay someone a $3 to send a package 1,000 miles away and it gets there in a few days, it is worth it to me.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(11-16-2011, 01:08 PM)superynaldo Wrote: even though I hate to see anyone lose their jobs, watching the USPS go under will not make me lose any sleep... the two I go to reluctantly to mail stuff, they are very rude, slow, and there are like 4 people working in the whole building... they don't seem to want my business anyway... I use the kiosks whenever I can, in order to avoid any so called human interactions with them if I can...and NO, I live in a pretty populated area...its a sad miserable place to go, with horrible lines and wait times... even if I pick up a signature confirmation package, they make you wait in the line with people mailing out packages, etc... the whole USPS system these days and what it has become is a JOKE... I say good riddance with their prehistoric practices, and attitude... I will just open a ups account and print labels at home... I no longer need them... and I do agree with this comment, they SHOULD NOT be paid the crazy pay they are making, and that is one of the main reasons they are 5.1 BILLION dollars in debt... I suppose, I, a taxpayer will have to bail them out as well??? I sure hope not... I can't afford to "save" anyone else... let them get real jobs that pay crappy wages, and maybe they will a lot nicer to people in the future... sorry for the rant, but its the way I feel about the USPS...

+1, they are not even CLOSE to being in the same boat... shame on you for even trying to compare the two...
They are just jobs, jeez. I hate the pedestal that military/police/firemen get put on. Yes, they are potentially dangerous jobs, but ones that they choose.
As far as wages go, what do some of you think they should get payed for the work they perform?
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(11-16-2011, 03:13 PM)mrgonzodad Wrote: They are just jobs, jeez. I hate the pedestal that military/police/firemen get put on. Yes, they are potentially dangerous jobs, but ones that they choose.
As far as wages go, what do some of you think they should get payed for the work they perform?
Worst post ive ever seen on this site. Im done reading this thread.
Looking for all Kirby Puckett I do not have! Have 805 unique Puckett cards, rest listed as wants.

First off there is no chance in hell that the whole USPS is going to cease to exist it's just not going to happen. It might mean some of us have to drive out of the way to get to one if they close alot of the smaller ones but that's about it.

Now that being said I can see in the future and I'm surprised it hasn't already happened Ebay coming to some type of deal with UPS or Fedex to make them the exclusive shipping service of Ebay therefore taking the issue out of the seller and buyers hands.

(11-16-2011, 03:24 PM)charbs1111 Wrote: Worst post ive ever seen on this site. Im done reading this thread.
Why are mail people being compared to police and firemen?
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

(11-16-2011, 04:14 PM)monsterx Wrote: Why are mail people being compared to police and firemen?
It started from another post earlier, about "thankless" jobs. I guess I made charb mad by stating an opinion.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(11-16-2011, 04:16 PM)mrgonzodad Wrote: It started from another post earlier, about "thankless" jobs. I guess I made charb mad by stating an opinion.
Aren't all jobs thankless?
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx