`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the value of grading?

What's the value of grading?
I was going on ebay and checking out the going cost for some ungraded cards..mostly Topps Chrome and they were 2008-2010.

I guess I never paid much attention to this before but I noticed that there are sellers who seem to feel that having a card graded really adds a lot of value.

For example, 2008 Topps Chrome Ray Rice RC. These are new cards with good quality control at the factory and you will find in the population report a large number of 9.5 grades.

I found several of these cards ungraded listed for .99. Yet if they are graded and have a 9.5....I see asking prices of 79.99 and some even higher. Now, I know there is a difference between listing something and selling something but still....you can see all the other cards there why would you list something so higher...unless you just feel a "sucker is born every minute" and someone will pay it.

Back to my original thought....what premium do you feel is fair for having a card graded?
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: What's the value of grading?
It really does depend on the player and the population of that card in it's condition, but generally a 9.5 is 4-6 times and ungraded card. The asking prices mean nothing, but that card that goes unsold maybe is worth 3-8 dollars, the same graded card is a 30-40 card. The difference and the reason some of the .99 cards dont sell, is then you have shipping, then you have to send the card off to get graded at 7-10 dollars, it's gone for a week or so and then you just have to hope it comes back as the 9.5 you judged it to be. I usually will only buy the these cards ungraded in some type of bulk (big asst. lot or like 5+ of that card)...
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.