`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why doesn't Topps do this anymore?

Why doesn't Topps do this anymore?
I've seen a lot of this years Finest and Chrome, and the majority of them have scratches on the surface. Some are not so bad, but some are horrible. I won a Eduardo Nunez jumbo patch#/10 from this years Finest, and it was covered in scratches. My question is why doesn't Topps use the protective film like they used to use on the old Finest cards of the 90's?

RE: Why doesn't Topps do this anymore?
Good question.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

because it was cheesy!!!! I am all about the protection but I dont want to see "Topps finest protector, peel and remove coating" on my card. IMO

(11-08-2011, 11:14 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: because it was cheesy!!!! I am all about the protection but I dont want to see "Topps finest protector, peel and remove coating" on my card. IMO
i agree, those were annoying
[Image: thCA4A41M6_zps6c3e4a45.jpg]

I kept mine on and it didn't bother me at all.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

They don't look good coming out of the wrapper, but they would solve the scratch problem. I'd like to see them on all the chromes.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(11-08-2011, 11:29 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I kept mine on and it didn't bother me at all.
I kept mine on all my Jeters as well but it's just annoying for example my 99 finest Jeter has the words going right across his face.

It is called cost cutting so that they can put more money in their pockets. They know that we will continue to buy what ever they put out so they want to spend as little as possible to get a bigger return. They do not care if we are unhappy with scratched, curled, or damaged cards as long as we continue to buy one more box to see if it was a one time fluke or not.

They might look bad, but they offer some protection from damage. If they came on them still, I would peel it off, and then put it in a toploader, magenetic case, or whatever. Just get me my cards without scratches all over them. If I scratch the card, then it's my fault, but to get them out of a pack like that, is unacceptable to me. It would also protect resellers as well. That Nunez i got is going back, and that's a $50 loss to the seller now.

I can't really answer the quesiton, but I do prefer them without the protective layer.

Here are a couple of things to add to the list.

1. Why are they 'stamping' the base topps seriel numbers like they did in the 90s. Does it really cost that much more to stamp them?

2. Why no print runs on A&G autos and relics. They know how many they made, let us know!