`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Remember rediculous prices for things that have tanked?

Remember rediculous prices for things that have tanked?
I was in a mall this week and dropped by one of those sports memorabilia stores that has a small card section. They had some packs of '91 Stadium Club Series 1 in a dollar box.

It reminded me of its release. I was 13 years old. The Frank Thomas was like gold. Almost like pulling a 20 dollar bill. Shortly after the release, I bought one for $18 when our family was on vacation that Summer. Being 13 in 1991, alot of times I had to wait for vacations to add stuff to my collection.

I can remember guys coming into a local card shop in Mobile and spending a large percentage of their pay check on packs (thats what they said). They were $5 a pop, a price alot of collectors were just getting use to after '90 Leaf. Back then, I thought it was kind of stupid to spend all that money on packs. Looking back now, I'm sure they have a cool memory of the hype.

Anyone else remember crazy prices (at the time) for things that have kind of been forgotten?
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

RE: Remember rediculous prices for things that have tanked?
I was at Yankee Stadium in September and 1992 Stadium Club (seven levels below 1991 Stadium Club) packs were selling for $8. You know why? Because the Yankees are a disgusting corporate monopoly machine.

(11-06-2011, 11:26 PM)natejeffries Wrote: I was at Yankee Stadium in September and 1992 Stadium Club (seven levels below 1991 Stadium Club) packs were selling for $8. You know why? Because the Yankees are a disgusting corporate monopoly machine.
Did they have any '91 Stadium Club? If so, they must've been $20.

I remember getting $200+ for big mac rookies and got over 1k for the frank thomas topps error card
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

(11-07-2011, 12:18 AM)chads-cards Wrote: I remember getting $200+ for big mac rookies and got over 1k for the frank thomas topps error card
98 was a fun season. It was awesome following the race and the McGwire rookie.

Mauer's cards have been falling faster than the Hindenberg.

I remember Upper Deck and Pro Set being the high end back in the day.

Whats the highest end box of cards (per capita) ever produced?

Just happy I can pick up Caminiti cards for cents now. Makes it easy for me.

Some of my big pulls from when I was a kid...
1985 Topps Eric Davis $18
1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies $5
1990 Score Bo Jackson B/W $20
1992 Bowman David Nied $15

I got rid of them at their peak prices, but now if I see any of these in a 25 cent box, I'll usually buy it. I don't know why, but I just do.

[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

I remember the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco Rated Rookie card going for big bucks back when it was hot. Didn't it book for $50 or $80 or something like that?

(11-07-2011, 08:43 AM)cdillon17 Wrote: I remember the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco Rated Rookie card going for big bucks back when it was hot. Didn't it book for $50 or $80 or something like that?
Canseco Donruss Rated rookie got as high as $125.

[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]