`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screwdown Cases Vs. Magnetic Holders

RE: Screwdown Cases Vs. Magnetic Holders
(11-03-2011, 12:51 AM)johnxgodfree Wrote: that is why i stick my magnetic cases into a graded card sleeve (basically just a giant team bag anyway!)

i prefer magnetics+graded card sleeve for all our nicer cards. the other PC cards that aren't worthy enough for that or grading are in new pennysleeve/toploader/teambag
+1 ~ Be sure to use the graded card sleeves after putting card into magnetic holder. This will keep the holder from getting scratched. Plus if the card is slightly too thick, the magnetic holder will not close and damage the card. Where as a screw down will smash the card down as you tighten it.

Semi rigids for anything not glossy. Top loaders for anything else. Haven't used a screwdown in ages. Had a Jeter Stadium Club rookie sitting in one for a while...went to transfer it about a year ago and the surface was mucked up like crazy. Not cool.

Anything rigid--semi rigid.

I prefer the screw downs as well. I just don't like that the magnetics are bigger and tough to fit into team bags. I can put the screw down in there, tape the team bag's edges together (don't take off the sticky part) and they're in there for good.

Another thing is I always, always put my card in a penny sleeve and then into the screw down. May look a little dorky, but better for the long haul. That way, the sticker or other parts of the card won't hang when you take the screw down apart.

I bought a pair of 86 Fleer Jordans from a guy and both were in those large 1/2 inch 4-screw screw downs. When I took them apart, 1 of the Jordans split in half. The front of the card stuck to 1 side and the back to the other. He said it was my fault and he wasn't going to give the money back I had paid for it. I told him it was the way he put the card in that caused it to come part. He said it went in fine, so it was my fault because when I took it out, I must've been holding it wron causing the front and back to come apart.

Since then, I've always used penny sleeves when dealing with screw downs.