`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Parallels hold their value?

Will Parallels hold their value?
I just started collecting in the last few months. I loved buying cards as a kid and collected as many Griffey cards as I could. Now I look back at all my old cards(early 90's) and how little they are worth. It has me wondering if the parallel cards of today are gonna hold value. Seems weird how crazy people go for a card that's the exact same as another aside from the color of ink on the border. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy chasing each color of my PC guys, but do you think over time a red chrome will really be worth more than a blue one? Just something I've been questioning lately. Especially when it comes to auto cards...I'd think it should be the auto that makes the card worth something not the color of the border.

RE: Will Parallels hold their value?
What's not intuitive to many people is that one can't really appreciate the parallel if one doesn't appreciate the base.

The parallel is simply a more rare version of the base card, and as long as the base card hold interest or value then so will the parallel.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

Well red refractors are much rarer than blue refractors, so they will always be worth more than the blue ones, unless Topps changes the print runs. I don't think a Lastings Milledge red refractor will be worth that much in 10 years, though Tongue
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

early 90's dont hold value because they were overproduced

however, mid-late 90's parallels can go for 4-10x's bv

I don't think they will depreciate like the early 90's, but they will drop as collectors lose interest and move onto the next shiny thing. I believe (although can't confirm) that late 90's inserts were much harder to get. Certainly not 1-2 a retail pack.
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

Whats wrong with "Thrillidge Millidge"?

(10-31-2011, 08:09 AM)woodrowsbat Wrote: Whats wrong with "Thrillidge Millidge"?
He is playing winter ball down here in Venezuela right now
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(10-30-2011, 12:05 PM)GreyStreet Wrote: I just started collecting in the last few months. I loved buying cards as a kid and collected as many Griffey cards as I could. Now I look back at all my old cards(early 90's) and how little they are worth. It has me wondering if the parallel cards of today are gonna hold value. Seems weird how crazy people go for a card that's the exact same as another aside from the color of ink on the border. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy chasing each color of my PC guys, but do you think over time a red chrome will really be worth more than a blue one? Just something I've been questioning lately. Especially when it comes to auto cards...I'd think it should be the auto that makes the card worth something not the color of the border.
The parallels of popular base cards will continue to hold value. Look at the '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. with the color difference in the hat. The one with the purple hat normally sells higher than the normal Griffey. Also, errors are similar to parallels and the popular ones have held their value fairly well (ex. '82 Fleer Ron Kittle, '89 UD Dale Murphy, '89 Fleer B. Ripken). There's also the '90 Topps Thomas printing flaw (No name on front).
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Short answer, no. Simply because cards don't have their individual pricing. Most are based on multipiers of the base card.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

as usual the star players and hot rookies will stay hot because there will always be those one or two people who just have to have every single card of a particular player.

The numbered parallels will probably hold their value for the most part just because for some reason people think because it has a number on it then it must be rare even if it's numbered to like 1500 or 2500. The ones that will take a hit are the unnumbered ones like say the special color refractors you get in the Bowman value packs etc.... JMO.

That being said 99% of cards made today still aren't worth the cardboard they are printed on. I watched a box buster video the other day and it was funny watching them show like 10 cards out of 80 in the box. You can see them sitting there going.... crap , crap , crap, oh here is the hit...... and throwing the rest of the cards on the table without a care.