`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnetic holders

Magnetic holders
Just curious as to what you think the best way to protect cards is.

I keep my favorite cards in table top showcases.

do you prefer penny sleeve and top loaders or Magnetic/screwdowns for higher end cards?

Also I am having a bit of trouble deciding on what a proper fit it.
Should the card fit flush to the point there is absolutely no movement inside the case...or should there be space between the card face and the top plate of the holder?

How can you tell if the fit is too tight?
Its sometimes hard to get it right bc there isnt an exact point fit for every card.

RE: Magnetic holders
BGS holders are by far the best way to protect cards. Its not even close. You can drop them in a bucket of water and no damage. This is why I graded half my marino autos so far. If you drop the case on cement only the case gets damaged. Hands down BGS. Also if I got lucky enough to land a 9 or 9.5 then bonus!!!

Magentic cases are nicer looking and are easier to use but screwdowns are better for protection. If you drop one the case is held shut. A magnetic case depending on the impact can bust open and can damage the card.

Top Loaders with penny sleeves are nice for low end cards. Once I place a card in a sleeve and a top loader I then turn it upside down and shake it to see how the card responds. If the card comes out with out much shaking i find a better top loader or may just put the card in a screwdown to be safe.

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(10-29-2011, 03:05 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: BGS holders are by far the best way to protect cards. Its not even close. You can drop them in a bucket of water and no damage. This is why I graded half my marino autos so far. If you drop the case on cement only the case gets damaged. Hands down BGS. Also if I got lucky enough to land a 9 or 9.5 then bonus!!!

Magentic cases are nicer looking and are easier to use but screwdowns are better for protection. If you drop one the case is held shut. A magnetic case depending on the impact can bust open and can damage the card.

Top Loaders with penny sleeves are nice for low end cards. Once I place a card in a sleeve and a top loader I then turn it upside down and shake it to see how the card responds. If the card comes out with out much shaking i find a better top loader or may just put the card in a screwdown to be safe.
yea I have my marino patch auto graded...and I am thinking about getting all my marino and peyton autos graded eventually.

but how should the cards fit the magnetic?

Should it be as tight as possible?
or should they have a little room to move?

I prefer them not moving around at all. If the card moves I put a little bubble wrap (popped) on the backside of the card inside the case. When you shake it and there is no sound that is what I shoot for. Same thing for screwdowns. I hate my cards moving around in them so I place that wrap on the back to prevent movement.

Now dont put too thick of a piece otherwise over time if the card is glossy enough it can become stuck to the case which can get damaged when you open the case. I guess the best way to explain it is the card should fit comfortably in the case. No major movement and the holder should close with ease and stay shut.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

I always rolled up a penny sleeve and stuck it in the top loader when it was too big for the card...but I never used anything on the magnetics bc of the reason you said....I was afraid if it was too tight then the card might stick to the case

What do you like more? Magentic or screwdown?

Also these work well for base cards or low end cards excluding thicker card IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Pro-Semi-R...336d6b5bf6
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(10-29-2011, 04:06 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: What do you like more? Magentic or screwdown?

Also these work well for base cards or low end cards excluding thicker card IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Pro-Semi-R...336d6b5bf6
oh yea I love the card savers for cheaper cards...they work great.

I like the magnetics better...but I also dont mind using screw downs.

(10-29-2011, 04:18 AM)Marinoisking Wrote: oh yea I love the card savers for cheaper cards...they work great.

I like the magnetics better...but I also dont mind using screw downs.
Hey for the first time tonight we completely agree haha!!!

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(10-29-2011, 04:32 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Hey for the first time tonight we completely agree haha!!!
lol I know....when it comes to cards we have absolutely everything in common except trading haha