`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use Beckett to your full collecting advantage.

Use Beckett to your full collecting advantage.
This message may not be directed at everyone because everyone collects differently. However, there might be some points in this post that benefit everyone. I also understand that not many people have the time for some of these ideas, but just know that the options are available.

I know people on this site also use other sites to collect and I have as well. However, in my mind, no other site out there really comes close to comparing to Beckett's current features, let alone what they have planned for the future. Therefore, I wanted to try to put together a thread that brings to light some features that Beckett offers that some people may or may not know about.

********************NOTE********************
This thread is not to be used to discuss the other sites out there and what they do or don't offer. It is also NOT about Beckett's actions or policies, or your disagreements with them. This thread is ONLY for the features Beckett offers. Any straying away from the topic in this post will be removed as soon as I'm able to remove it.

FAQs/TOS

Not much needs to be said here, except...

READ THEM!!!

FAQ/Help

TOS

These all can change at any time and therefore need to be briefed over occasionally. No, we all may not agree with every part of the TOS, but that's what they are, so please abide by them. Also, us moderators can't catch every TOS violation, so we need the community's help. If you feel someone is getting away with something that you have previously been warned about, PM us or flag the post (if it's in the thread). This way it will get our attention and we'll be able to take care of it accordingly.

Uploading Images

Currently, nobody to my knowledge is approving pictures that are uploaded to be stock photos. But that does not mean that there is no reason to upload a photo. It's even a good idea to upload a photo even when there is a stock image. The quality may be better, the size might show more detail, and other beneficial reasons.

One of the main reasons, in my opinion, is that those images will be displayed in your Organize and in your Trades. Whenever someone views an item in your Organize or in a trade with you, that you've uploaded a picture for, your image overrides any current image. Now, there are some ins and outs of this.

If you upload an image on the item page, the image will not show up in your Organize. This is because it is not tied to a particular item in your Organize. If you upload the picture by clicking the image in your Organize and go that way, then that image is associated specifically with that item in your Organize. Also, if you have two of the same item in your organize (maybe one in a set and one for PC, as I do), uploading an image for one item does not affect the other item.

Any image you upload will be put in the gallery for the main item (on the item page). So if you have five of the same items in your Organize and upload images for each one of them through your Organize, each one will look distinct in your Organize, but all of the pictures will be combined in the item gallery on the item page.

I do ask, for the benefit of other collectors, please follow the following:
  • Orientation - Whether it be by scan or picture, please put the card in the proper orientation. Nobody likes straining their neck to look at a card that is upside down or on it's side.
  • Association - Please mark the card with the FRONT/BACK designation as well as making sure the card is for the proper item. If you have a 2007-08 Upper Deck First Edition card that has the same number as the regular version of the card, but you don't have the regular version, please don't upload the First Edition to the regular version. The point of the pictures is to show collectors the differences in the cards.
  • Clarity - Whether it be by camera or scanner, please try to make sure the picture is pretty clear. Close up pictures that are blurry and have a glare do not really benefit anyone.
  • Remove Codes - If a card has a sweepstakes code that hasn't been used (maybe you pack pulled it), please do not put a scan up with the code up there, especially if you do not plan on keeping the card. If you do wish to put a scan up of the card, please use Paint or another photo editing program to remove the code from the picture. This would include (as an example) 2011 Topps Allen and Ginter Code Cards where the designs on the corners are codes.
  • Dates - I don't know if Scanners do it, but if you have a camera, please remove the dates from the pictures. The dates can block out part of the picture, including the serial number. If your picture is far enough back to where the date will not cover any part of the card, then that's fine because you can crop it out.
Some of those requests are because of my OCD, but at the same time, I think all of those requests benefit everyone.

Finding the cards you want

One thing I love about Beckett's Organize is the ability to mark cards I want for trade. According to my Organize, at the time of this post, I have 17,211 Wants between my set needs and my Pistons PC. I have all of these cards listed in my Organize for specific reasons.

The first reason is that in Trade, if I have a card marked as a Want, when I search through the other member's cards, I'll be notified if I have that card as a Want. (I know, at this time it doesn't sort to the top like it used to.) This way, when I work a trade with someone, I can easily make sure I'm getting what I need out of the trade instead of second guessing if I have it, having to go through my cards to see if I already have it, or going through a file/spreadsheet.

Also, when you have a card marked as a want, if you are on the card page itself, there is a box in the bottom right corner of the page that shows who has the card and who wants the card, including yourself. This way, if you're looking at a card thinking you might need it (say someone sent you a link in a post), you'll be able to see if you have it marked as a want. And if things were to fall through with a current trader, you have a potential list of others who have it marked as a have. And at the same time, any person looking at their cards on the respective item pages will be able to see who is looking for that item.

There are some users who are not active anymore for one reason or another, so you may not get responses from some of them if you inquire about a card. Try PMing them, sending an open offer, and checking their profile to see the last time they logged on.

In the future, Beckett will be working on an application called MatchMaker. This application will take all of the wants you have in your collection, find out who has them, and who can give you the best possible trade (wants, quantity, etc.). This will allow users to make bigger trades and fewer trades to cut down on shipping and the back and forth. Yeah, we still may make more trades in the future, but if you can make a bigger trade and get more of what you need, then who wouldn't take that option (just so long as the card[s] aren't tied up in other transactions).

Getting more trades/sales

While there are occasionaly bad traders, as there are on every site, there are some really awesome traders here. I wouldn't have gotten to 200+ trades on any other site probably, and there are some people on this site who may have or have already breached 1,000+ trades. However, as most people will tell you, it takes some work to get those trades/sales. From what I've seen, simple Check My Bucket (CMB) and Check Me threads do not get much action. Threads with the pictures already in the them get more action as it requires other members to do less work. Here is a thread with some HTML and CSS help for users who want to spice up some of their threads.

Also, if people are interested, I'm more than willing to help out with some designs for some trade threads. For instance, here is something I could do for users to add to their trade threads to give people shortcuts.

Obviously, it would be for whatever you collect, but it's something that allows the user on your trade/sale thread to go immediately to any collection you want them to or start a trade right from that page (rather than having to click your name, go to your profile, etc.).

Also, another thing that I think is important to note is that we should really only use one thread and consistently update that on thread. The reason I say that is because it allows multiple people to occupy the first page at the same time, and it allows us each to see previous posts about our cards to find other prospective traders. If we have 50 trade threads each, imagine how long it takes to find someone who asked about a specific card 6 months ago.

And as was said earlier, uploading pictures into your Organize really helps trades move along. I understand that it takes some time, but it allows the other collectors to see your cards, you can use those images in your trade thread (ask me if you don't know how) so you don't have to worry about them being moved around in Photobucket, flickr, imageshack, etc.

Respect within the community

This may not matter to some, but it means a lot to many. There have been, and will be more in the future I'm sure, times when we all have to look out for each other. Whether it be because of a bad trader, someone calling someone out for a misunderstanding, or something. But if we stay together as a community, respect each other, and look out for one another, then I don't see any outside forces coming in and disturbing our community. Please, post with respect to others and it will be given back to you (if not, let me know). No, we won't always agree on everything, but you can disagree respectfully. Flagging a post or informing a moderator of improper behavior is not a bad thing. Sometimes the other person might take it the wrong way, and other times that person will correct the issue. We all have to stick together if we want this community to be the best out there.

By adding an avatar or signature to your profile, you add some life to the site. When people look through forums, seeing blank avatars and blank signatures, it doesn't catch their eye. They think that the site is boring because nobody puts an effort into the site. An avatar and signature show off a little of your character, who you collect, and your taste in stuff. Whether it be a signature showing your cards, an avatar of your favorite sport, etc., it all adds life to the site.

Show off your PC

Most of us have a photobucket or an account on some photo sharing website. Some even have their own small website to show of their PC. Well here is a good place to show it off as well. Make a thread, put some pictures in it of your recent updates to your PCs, show off some of your pride and joys, etc. Now, unlike the trade threads, I think multiple PC threads are more than alright. If you collect 50 players, maybe not so much, but if you collect say 5 players, having a PC thread for each is more than alright. By showing off your PC, you show off what you collect and what you have. This allows users to know who to go to when they pull that Bulls card, or that Jordan card, etc. They also can see what you have and what you don't have. It also allows you to find others who collect the same things as you and you can develop friendships to help each other out.

Update your Profile

Your profile allows you to have an About Me as well as show who you collect. You can also have a Facebook, Photobucket, eBay (explain later), and other links in there. I've even suggested PlayStation and XBox IDs to be put in there for those who play games. You can even put in your shipping requirements so when you perform a trade, there's no saying I didn't tell you. Smile

eBay

No, the promotion of eBay sales (or other sales from other sites) are not allowed on the forums. But we are allowed to have our eBayID on our profile. The TOS still apply in what is and is not allowed on the boards, but if I'm looking for a card I like and I see someone has an eBayID in their profile, I can check their eBay account as well as message them about a specific item they have. You can still ask questions about crazy eBay auctions, but you cannot promote.

Help Beckett, Help You!!!

By uploading images into Beckett, by reporting errors in the price guides (missing cards, checklists, etc.), by keeping the community together, by putting a little extra effort in your collection (trade threads, PC, Organize) you help Beckett look good which helps get more traffic. The more traffic, the more traders we'll see and the more cards we'll have an opportunity to obtain. I'm very grateful for those who have stuck through the slow times and continue to use Beckett as their main site. In my opinion it will become the Go To site once again as things progress and other collectors see the benefit of having a Beckett account.

Again, this thread is not to be used to discuss the other sites out there and what they do or don't offer. It is also NOT about Beckett's actions or policies, or your disagreements with them. This thread is ONLY for the features Beckett offers. Any straying away from the topic in this post will be removed as soon as I'm able to remove it.

My apologies for not having any pictures to go along with the thread, I'm very limited with what I can do at the current time. I hope to get some images up there this weekend. If you have ANY questions about how to do something, or want more in depth detail about a particular feature, please let me know. Also know that there is a Suggestion forum in the Help Forum where you can give suggestions about updates, upgrades, new features, etc. Please know that not all of them can or will be gotten to nor can a date be given as to when they'll be implemented if they will. I am always working with the Beckett team with new ideas (adding card thickness, dimensions, weight, and other new fields to items, allowing the separation of year, set, number, player and other fields in Organize for sorting purposes, etc.) and ideas on how to improve current features. Thank you all for your time.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: Use Beckett to your full collecting advantage.
As always Xstream, you said a mouth full, lol. Great thread. The help Beckett help you part is true. I did this first hand (maybe I should receive a discount, lol). It helped add a few cards I had for awhile.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

(10-25-2011, 01:16 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: As always Xstream, you said a mouth full, lol. Great thread. The help Beckett help you part is true. I did this first hand (maybe I should receive a discount, lol). It helped add a few cards I had for awhile.
Yeah, occasionally I tend to put more than I need to. Smile I just want to really get this site heading in the right direction towards its potential.

XSTREAM.... thank you for taking your time to create this thread. I knew about most of it already.

I like the idea that a card scan is connected to your organization if uploading form your ORG page & not the default card page. This is the way I been trying to upload some of my cards.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(10-25-2011, 02:04 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: XSTREAM.... thank you for taking your time to create this thread. I knew about most of it already.

I like the idea that a card scan is connected to your organization if uploading form your ORG page & not the default card page. This is the way I been trying to upload some of my cards.
At first I wasn't fond of it that way, I wanted it to be to where if I uploaded a picture of a card, it should know I did it and show it for all instances of the card in my Organize. But then when I thought about it, people will have multiple records if they are trying to collect a serial run and they want to show all of the cards individually, like you with your Farmar cards. You could have one item for each of the letters and then upload the proper pictures for all of them, then when you went to that collection, you'd visually be able to see what you're missing. The reason why I didn't like it in the beginning was because I uploaded the base card from 2009-10 Upper Deck for Isiah Thomas and I have one record in my PC and in my sets, I wanted it to be used for both. When I saw it wasn't, I thought it didn't upload properly, so I did it for the new one, then it showed up on both. When I went to the item page, it showed I uploaded it twice (front and back each time). I thought that it would be kind of cluttered if everyone did that, but now I can kind of understand.

I wouldn't waste time uploading images into Beckett.

I spent about 4 or 5 hours uploading all my mid/high-end cards. Now they've disappeared. Complete waste of time.

(10-25-2011, 02:17 PM)will23c1982 Wrote: I wouldn't waste time uploading images into Beckett.

I spent about 4 or 5 hours uploading all my mid/high-end cards. Now they've disappeared. Complete waste of time.
When did you upload those images?

About 6-8 weeks ago.

(10-25-2011, 02:34 PM)will23c1982 Wrote: About 6-8 weeks ago.
Send me a PM with the items that you had uploaded to and more details and I'll look into it. Since I've been putting images in I haven't had any disappear. Thanks.
Ok, so I went to go check some of the cards I've uploaded images for in the past, like months ago, and they aren't showing in Trade View, but they are showing when I click on the gallery. I'm guessing that's what you're referring to. I've given examples to the administrators for them to take a look at, I think it's an index that needs to be refreshed (could be wrong) but if anyone else has any examples of this, let me know and I'll send those examples as well. Thank you very much.

Am I mistaken but do you need to have cards added as "For Trade" in your Organize to trade/post a trade thread and you can not utilize the "Organize" tool without a paid subscription?

So if i do not have a paid subscription on here I can not trade?

(I do have a paid subscription btw, im just wondering if that is accurate?)