`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett Grading

RE: Screwed by Beckett Grading
(10-22-2011, 06:39 PM)chipper4president Wrote: This might be a dumb question, but why is the Thomas autographed grade on the front and not on back like the others? If BGS started doing that a while back, why would they grade part of your order the old way?
The Thomas is a standard sized card, whereas the others are thicker cards. BGS places the autograph grade of a thicker card on back, and those of thinner cards still on front.

(10-22-2011, 05:39 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I have never heard a peep of who the graders at bgs are, or their process.
Not sure how up to date this is.
http://www.beckett.com/estore/info.asp?T...in=beckett

Doesn't really say much about their abilities or how the process is run though.

(10-22-2011, 06:43 PM)baycitysfinest Wrote: The Thomas is a standard sized card, whereas the others are thicker cards. BGS places the autograph grade of a thicker card on back, and those of thinner cards still on front.
Cool. I appreciate the info.
[Image: chipper.jpg]

Collect Atlanta Braves cards/memorabilia. Chipper Jones and ROY autographs (107/130). Currently looking for 2004 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch cards of Chipper Jones, Dale Murphy, or both that I need.

(10-22-2011, 06:04 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I disagree, I think PSA is a cut above BGS, the strasburg superfractor fiasco hurt them a lot in the community. Maybe among younger collectors they are more popular. But among more veteran collectors I think they prefer psa, at least the card shows i attend that seems to be the consesus.
I agree, though I'm not typically looking at modern anyway at the shows. It's pretty rare that I run across BGS cards at the shows I've gone too. PSA and SGC are heavily much more prevalent in auction houses as well.

I dunno, I like cards in graded holders, but hate how number assigning can make them feel inferior when really a 9 from Beckett IS Mint and 8.5 as NM-Mt+ or whatever is great condition as well, yet people don't see 10 pristine and the same card they would like raw is suddenly inferior, even though it is now in a cool holder. I say retrain your customers! Actually Beckett should make moves to become more dominant in the card industry and retrain the customers for you. Drop the OPG, let the market dictate its own prices and focus on grading and being the place to buy, sell, trade cards and kill off that section of Ebay. And I prefer BGS graded cards due to some of the PSA I've gotten jiggle loose in the holder and get dinged up sides.

(10-22-2011, 06:44 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Not sure how up to date this is.
http://www.beckett.com/estore/info.asp?T...in=beckett

Doesn't really say much about their abilities or how the process is run though.
It's nice they are all veteran collectors, but any education background? Business, ethics, science courses? Authentication courses? I have a business degree, took physics, chemistry, ethics in school. Plus I have been collecting as long if not longer then most of them. I do believe now I am more qualified then these.

I was doing some research on another forum and the rampant unethical practices at BGS are well known. Providing better grades to bulk dealers, providing better grades to popular Topps cards.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

BGS 9.5 = GEM MINT
PSA 10 = GEM MINT
BGS 10 = PRISTINE, a grade for which PSA has no equivalent

BGS 9.5 and PSA 10 ARE the same, the Beckett rep is correct and you are wrong. I am really surprised that someone that seems to grade a lot of cards doesnt already know that, and your customers should know that too. BGS 10's are EXTREMELY rare
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

(10-22-2011, 06:54 PM)sonnyday Wrote: It's nice they are all veteran collectors, but any education background? Business, ethics, science courses? Authentication courses? I have a business degree, took physics, chemistry, ethics in school. Plus I have been collecting as long if not longer then most of them. I do believe now I am more qualified then these.

I was doing some research on another forum and the rampant unethical practices at BGS are well known. Providing better grades to bulk dealers, providing better grades to popular Topps cards.
I have no answer to your questions, just trying to provide something, even though it doesn't really say anything in detail.

(10-22-2011, 06:56 PM)keyser soze Wrote: BGS 9.5 = GEM MINT
PSA 10 = GEM MINT
BGS 10 = PRISTINE, a grade for which PSA has no equivalent

BGS 9.5 and PSA 10 ARE the same, the Beckett rep is correct and you are wrong. I am really surprised that someone that seems to grade a lot of cards doesnt already know that, and your customers should know that too. BGS 10's are EXTREMELY rare
I KNOW THIS! Now. You are just putting words in my mouth I never said! please tell me where I stated a psa 10 and a bgs 10 are the same.

What I said was that the rep told me a bgs 9.5 holds it weight against a psa 10.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(10-22-2011, 06:54 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I was doing some research on another forum and the rampant unethical practices at BGS are well known. Providing better grades to bulk dealers, providing better grades to popular Topps cards.
Let's watch these kind of accusations, okay?

Unless you have verifiable proof, and I do not mean a "he said-she said thing"
on another site, then there is no reason to post this kind of stuff, it may save yourself some headaches in the future.

PSA is just as questionable as all the other grading companies, there has been enough complaint's posted about all the grading companies.

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35