`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA Qualifiers

PSA Qualifiers
How does one determine the value of cards with PSA qualifiers? I see these qualifiers as a way to get bargain prices on high value cards for my pc but Im unsure as to how I would quantify the discount...

I suppose an example might be best, lets take a look at this Nolan Ryan RC

[Image: NolanRyan.png]

At a PSA 9 it is listed in the OPG for a substantial amount of money...lets just say you could probably get a pretty decent used car for this card's value at that grade.

But it isn't a PSA 9, it's a PSA 9 (OC)...

So what percentage of the original price is deducted?
Would you deduct the same amount if it were (ST), (PD) or (MC)?

I understand many will answer, "whatever you're willing to pay for it" or "whatever you're willing to sell it for"...but Im looking for a more consistent methodology and more reliable approach.

Any feedback is appreciated, looking forward to any opinions or responses from those with experience in buying and selling cards with qualifiers.

RE: PSA Qualifiers
To me it being off centered would take the grade down a good amount. I would probably go with a grade of a 7 range if I had to guess for it being off centered that bad.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I think the rule of thumb is that the qualifier knocks it down 2 grades. So the PSA 9 pictured is the equivalent of a 7.
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

What do these other qualifiers stand for?? (ST), (PD) or (MC)?

[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

From PSA's website:

QUALIFIERS:
PSA will grade nearly every card submitted. Cards having significant flaws will receive "qualified" grades as follows:

OC (Off Center):
When the centering of the card falls below the minimum standard for that grade will be designated "OC." PSA determines centering by comparing the measurements of the borders from left to right and top to bottom. The centering is designated as the percent of difference at the most off-center part of the card. A 5% leeway is given to the front centering minimum standards for cards which grade NM 7 or better. For example, a card that meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 60/40 off-center on the front automatically meets the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9. If a card meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 65/35 off-center on the front, it may be deemed to meet the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9 if the eye appeal of the card is good.

ST (Staining):
Cards with staining below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "ST."

PD (Print Defect):
Cards with significant printing defects will be designated "PD."

OF (Out of Focus):
Cards with focus below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "OF."

MK (Marks):
Cards with writing, ink marks, pencil marks, etc. or evidence of the impression left from the act of writing will be designated "MK."

MC (Miscut):
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

UNGRADEABLE CARDS:
PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity. In addition, PSA does not grade autographed cards dated earlier than 1998 or any cards manufactured by Star except Star Baseball and 1996 Star Topps (reprint) Basketball Cards; only factory imprint signatures can be graded.
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

(10-17-2011, 03:09 PM)keyser soze Wrote: From PSA's website:

QUALIFIERS:
PSA will grade nearly every card submitted. Cards having significant flaws will receive "qualified" grades as follows:

OC (Off Center):
When the centering of the card falls below the minimum standard for that grade will be designated "OC." PSA determines centering by comparing the measurements of the borders from left to right and top to bottom. The centering is designated as the percent of difference at the most off-center part of the card. A 5% leeway is given to the front centering minimum standards for cards which grade NM 7 or better. For example, a card that meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 60/40 off-center on the front automatically meets the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9. If a card meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 65/35 off-center on the front, it may be deemed to meet the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9 if the eye appeal of the card is good.

ST (Staining):
Cards with staining below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "ST."

PD (Print Defect):
Cards with significant printing defects will be designated "PD."

OF (Out of Focus):
Cards with focus below the minimum standards for the grade will be designated "OF."

MK (Marks):
Cards with writing, ink marks, pencil marks, etc. or evidence of the impression left from the act of writing will be designated "MK."

MC (Miscut):
Cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue or ones that contain partial portions of more than one card will be designated "MC."

UNGRADEABLE CARDS:
PSA will not grade cards that bear evidence of trimming, re-coloring, restoration, or any other forms of tampering, or are of questionable authenticity. In addition, PSA does not grade autographed cards dated earlier than 1998 or any cards manufactured by Star except Star Baseball and 1996 Star Topps (reprint) Basketball Cards; only factory imprint signatures can be graded.
Thanks I had no clue!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

To me the qualifiers are nonsense.
That card is not Mint. A card that badly off center does not qualify as a mint card. It is barely EXMT. The defects they use qualifiers for are what the rest of the hobby uses to turn a card from EXMT to VG etc... If something falls "below the minimum standards for the grade" then it cannot be that grade. We have debated this with PSA lovers for years.