`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having cards graded for preservation...

Having cards graded for preservation...
I've been digging through an old collection of cards from when I was growing up (80s/90s) and finding a few cards that I wouldn't mind getting graded.

However, I'm looking mainly for the benefits of preserving the cards to make sure they don't get creased/bent corners anymore than they already are. It will also help me (or someone else who find the collection 20 years from now) identify cards that are valuable as to not accidentially throw them out.

So, in short, I'm not so much caring about the actual grades but more interested in the cases.

I've been growsing various grading services sits and it looks like GMA is the cheapest. I understand that BGS is the most strict and will probably add the most value to the cards but they are on the high end of cost as well (with PSA being more expensive due to the subscription).

First, am I along the right track? should I be looking at services other than grading for protecting the cards?

Second, I've foudn a lot of information abotu the grading process for each company but not much about the techical side. For example, which company has the best cases? Or are they pretty standard across the industry? How durable are the cases? Waterproof?
Fireproof (not expecting that but it diesn't hurt to ask)?

I'm priobably looking to grade between 10-50 cards depding on price...

Thoughts/suggestions?

RE: Having cards graded for preservation...
BGS, PSA or SGC. Nothing else. If your leaning toward anything other than those 3, I would instead suggest:
A) penny sleeves, toploaders, in team bags or
B) 1-Touchesmagnetics
Most durable cases and hardest to destroy; BGS. But there is nothing wrong with PSA or SGC in this case, BGS is just more heavy duty.
Water proof, pretty sure all 3 are.
Fireproof. None, its plastic. Buy a safe.

[Image: Redskins_banner_1.gif]
[Image: Steelers_banner_1.gif]

(10-19-2011, 06:38 PM)sesamestreet4life Wrote: I sent an order in for preservation to BGS, made a note on my submission form to that effect. I hope they show up like that though because my "order has been shipped" update assigns grades to the cards and I did not want a numerical judgement on my case detracting from my enjoyment of the card.
You will end up with grades. You should have simply said "Slab without grade"
[Image: Redskins_banner_1.gif]
[Image: Steelers_banner_1.gif]

(10-20-2011, 02:21 PM)sesamestreet4life Wrote: Well, I sent some I wanted graded and then some Memorabilia ones I did not, all in the same package with a note on the actual submission form sent along. Considering how much it costs to get them graded/ slabbed ala I paid for the two day treatment one could hope they would be accommodating.

On a side note I did not get bad grades.
They would be accomodating. Assuming you made the proper statement. What exactly did the note say?