`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay and shipping charges

RE: Ebay and shipping charges
(10-12-2011, 08:51 AM)jonathani Wrote: Maybe I am missing something, but if see that someone is going to charge me a price for shipping that I view as unfair I simply do not bid/buy the product. If I choose to pay for something and know the price befoerhand, I do not believe I have a right later to complain about how much it cost. Have you ever walked into a restaurant, read the menu, decided something was too expensive, order it anyway, eat it, and then complain to the manager about the prices? Ebay is unique in its "last word" mentality, and people often abuse it--not only there, but it happens on this site as well. How often do people leave feedback in either place, all the while thinking about the feedback they will then receive in return?

JonathanI
Couldn't agree more...Its not as though the fee is being hidden from you once you purchase something. Its funny how being transparent from the start can be treated as not being in the end. Also, too, there is nothing that precludes you from going to the seller before bidding/buying and saying hey would you be willing to take this for an item...I recently bought a lot of 6 J Heyward cards from Bowman 2007. The seller had a price for the lot + shipping. I counter offered based upon what I would spend s/h included...he countered with an offer that was a flate rate and no s/h charges and I accepted...Its amazing what you can get if you just ask!

Check out this ebay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-TOPPS-ALLEN...5fd55830c3

Guy sold the card for .11cts and free shipping. A damn stamp is more.

Don't forget that ebay also charges you a fee on the shipping charge you collect! You have to figure that in as well. I have always thought that it was total BS that they beat you down to charge less for shipping, but yet they charge you a fee. I was charging $2 until I realized they were collecting $.23 on my shipping charge. So thanks to ebay, I raised my price.
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

I have alwats felt as long as your not tring to charge alot for shipping and it came protected and as described that I didn't mind paying a few bucks for shipping. Now seeing how some people are doing things its just going to make it worse for anyone who sells unless you do free shipping and ebay dosen't care as there all about the buyer as I told the lady on the phone. I said if everything but shipping is great how can you hold the money that I sold the item. She stated you needed to be in the range for everything. So I then said you are for the buyers and not the sellers from what I can see. I also mentioned pretty much all my money I make goes right back to them buying items on ebay but that didn't seem to matter either. Oh well just means I will add $3.00 to the lowest I was going to sell that card for.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(10-12-2011, 09:38 AM)noahnator Wrote: Check out this ebay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-TOPPS-ALLEN...5fd55830c3

Guy sold the card for .11cts and free shipping. A damn stamp is more.
It looks cheap but in reallity it isn't. That guy probably sells hundreds of cards and if he does 100 x .11 is $11.00 so for selling a few commons he isn't doing that bad. Some sell junk/commons to pay for shipping on cards that cost more. Like i said in my previous post its not about the quality its about the quantity of cards your selling. I have a friend who sells on ebay he sells everything from common cards to mid priced game used and makes over 1,000 a week. Remember there are thousands upon thousands of ebay users that like to spend and if your cards are priced cheap and you have alot of them think of the possibilities.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

(10-12-2011, 09:49 AM)yankeeempire Wrote: It looks cheap but in reallity it isn't. That guy probably sells hundreds of cards and if he does 100 x .11 is $11.00 so for selling a few commons he isn't doing that bad. Some sell junk/commons to pay for shipping on cards that cost more. Like i said in my previous post its not about the quality its about the quantity of cards your selling. I have a friend who sells on ebay he sells everything from common cards to mid priced game used and makes over 1,000 a week. Remember there are thousands upon thousands of ebay users that like to spend and if your cards are priced cheap and you have alot of them think of the possibilities.
Good point and raises his rating fast.

A couple things to consider:

1. What is your charge for multiple item wins? I've seen sellers out there that I'd love to buy multiple cards from, but their shipping is a very reasonable $3 for the first one, but then they charge like a buck for each additional card. If I won 4 items, I'd pay $6 to ship 4 cards in a bubble mailer. So I pass on all of them.

2. Up front let me say I HATE that Ebay has created buyers that nickel and dime you to death. They see 25-50c profit on shipping and ding your stars or worse. Like someone said above, they fail to consider the time, effort, and fees you have to absorb as a seller (I know I know, technically you're not supposed to add fees to shipping charges).

With all that as a preface, it's in your best interest as a seller to accept that that is how things are over there now. So to stay successful with high ratings, you have to play the game now. Use free shipping and jack up the starting price, or split the difference somehow (many buyers might not notice that the starting price is $1.50 higher, but they'll see your auction stand out if you're only charging $1.50 for shipping while other sellers charge $3).

3. As a buyer/collector of generally low-mid range stuff, I hate to say it also, but if the card is going to sell for < $10 shipped, it's probably not worth listing. Again, I don't agree, but it's the fact of life over there now. For one, by the time you pay fees, shipping, and the cost of the item, it's likely you will only net a few cents - hardly worth it. Also, it's harder to 'bury' that shipping cost in the starting price of a $2 card.

Just a few random thoughts from a former small-time seller and infrequent buyer over there...

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

I've had a few buyers for multiple items in the last week. I try to make sure that I catch those before they pay so I change what I charge to only $2.50 total for shipping instead of 2.50 for each item. I never charge extra per item. I don't see charging an extra item fee if it all fits in the same mailer because it's not taking any extra time for me to ship.

(10-12-2011, 08:51 AM)jonathani Wrote: Maybe I am missing something, but if see that someone is going to charge me a price for shipping that I view as unfair I simply do not bid/buy the product. If I choose to pay for something and know the price befoerhand, I do not believe I have a right later to complain about how much it cost. Have you ever walked into a restaurant, read the menu, decided something was too expensive, order it anyway, eat it, and then complain to the manager about the prices? Ebay is unique in its "last word" mentality, and people often abuse it--not only there, but it happens on this site as well. How often do people leave feedback in either place, all the while thinking about the feedback they will then receive in return?

JonathanI
+1 I totally agree, see it all the time. Stop worring about your own feeback and grade accordingly.
Looking for all types of rookie cards. Only trade with a d/c #. If you have less than 25 trades you must ship first. Thanks.

[Image: 3sport.png]

Banner Thanks to CoolBrees.

The hold thing is ridiculous, i've had an ebay account for a long time but didnt start selling until this July, and they implemented this new policy in August that if you dont have 90 days of selling experience your funds are going to be put on hold until the seller recieves the item. If you dont use Ebay's shipping labels you basically have to wait 21 days until you can use your paypal money, ridiculous! thank goodness i only have two more weeks left of this bs.
[Image: giantssig1.jpg]

I collect Brandon Belt, Pablo Sandoval, Matt Cain and Gary Brown!