`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I miss trading on here

RE: I miss trading on here
(09-30-2011, 08:45 PM)dkotart Wrote: Yes, but what about the kids that do not have the luxury of a LCS in their town. I know where I live there has not been a LCS in many, many years. I understand about the laws preventing kids from trading here, but I do not understand why they are not allowed to participate on the boards or use the OPG. IMO, the hobby needs kids and it just seems like by totally kicking them off the site will cause them to lose interest. Is there a reason why Beckett could not allow kids limited access, and just shut down the trade function for members who are under age? Possible use a different color for their user name so when they post other members will know that they are under age users? There has to be something Beckett can do so the kids stay interested in the hobby.
In my opinion, if they pay the money to use the OPG and the organize, they should be allowed to do so, as for them being able to post on the boards, and this is an idea I have had for a while now, but we have 6 forums on the list that very seldom ever see use, I think Beckett should make 4 of those in to a forum for kids to post on, and the adults be locked out of, we can read the post's to make sure that they stuff the kids are posting is appropriate, etc...but the adults are not allowed to post in any of those forums or send any child Pm's, no trading, just forums for them to discuss the different sports etc...

(09-30-2011, 09:11 PM)richk Wrote: Legal age about doing these type of trades is 18; period end of sentence.

If you make a trade with a "14" year old (Let's say for today you trade him Matt Moore Heritage Minor 1 of 1 for CJ Wilson 1 of 1) and then 3 years later CJ has won 20 games a year for the Yankees and Moore develops a sore arm and never will pitch again.

Since the child is now 17; he can legally ask you to restore the trade. And you better be able to produce the Wilson card

Rich
I actually Rich what could happen and has happened on other sites, the child is under 18 agrees to make a trade, goes ahead and makes the trade, then decides that they want their card back, of course mom and/or dad gets involved, and the child claims they were coerced into making the deal by the adult, then the adult is in trouble with the authorities for corruption of minors or some other charge. (Yes, this has happened).

another thing that has happened is the child agrees to a trade, the other trader sends their end, and the child decides he wants to keep his card so he doesn't send out his end, then the parents get called or whatever, and the adult ends up in trouble for making a non-binding contract with a minor.

it's a no win situation, the kid gets the card, and the adult gets the shaft...

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

Right -- we agree; we DO want kids to become involved in the hobby; but the suggestion made earlier by the dad who is fortunate enough to be near a store and have a trade night was dead on.

As long as the parent is involved from the start; there are no issues.

Kids trading with kids in controlled situations are fine. But there are real legal risks to trading with people under 18 and internet sites such as this one should be able to maintina electronic records of all trades done thruogh this system

Rich

Rich

(09-30-2011, 05:06 PM)shezdoni Wrote: Buy a single player pricing for 1 month, cost you $4.00 and you have full access to the Organize, and you can trade.
+1 this is what I do

[quote='shezdoni' pid='1725751' dateline='1317455760']

In my opinion, if they pay the money to use the OPG and the organize, they should be allowed to do so, as for them being able to post on the boards, and this is an idea I have had for a while now, but we have 6 forums on the list that very seldom ever see use, I think Beckett should make 4 of those in to a forum for kids to post on, and the adults be locked out of, we can read the post's to make sure that they stuff the kids are posting is appropriate, etc...but the adults are not allowed to post in any of those forums or send any child Pm's, no trading, just forums for them to discuss the different sports etc...

I like your idea, and I agree with you about giving the kids their own forum and keeping them separated from the adults and also allowing them to use the org. This hobby will not have a future without kids getting interested. Most of us were kids when we started collecting, right? How would we feel if we were told this is not a hobby for you and essentially that is what Beckett is doing by freezing them out completely.

(10-01-2011, 09:34 AM)dkotart Wrote: [quote='shezdoni' pid='1725751' dateline='1317455760']

I like your idea, and I agree with you about giving the kids their own forum and keeping them separated from the adults and also allowing them to use the org. This hobby will not have a future without kids getting interested. Most of us were kids when we started collecting, right? How would we feel if we were told this is not a hobby for you and essentially that is what Beckett is doing by freezing them out completely.
In reality the card companies have been doing it too, by putting out stuff that they can't afford to buy, which in my opinion is wrong.

I remember when the card companies, tried to encourage kids to by cards by giving away packs for good grades in school, making packs affordable, usually under $2wrapper redemption's for special sets, Topps had the website that was just for kids to trade on, etc, where is it now?, same with Upper Deck.
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

(09-30-2011, 08:45 PM)dkotart Wrote: Yes, but what about the kids that do not have the luxury of a LCS in their town. I know where I live there has not been a LCS in many, many years. I understand about the laws preventing kids from trading here, but I do not understand why they are not allowed to participate on the boards or use the OPG. IMO, the hobby needs kids and it just seems like by totally kicking them off the site will cause them to lose interest. Is there a reason why Beckett could not allow kids limited access, and just shut down the trade function for members who are under age? Possible use a different color for their user name so when they post other members will know that they are under age users? There has to be something Beckett can do so the kids stay interested in the hobby.
I think that's a great idea!!
(09-30-2011, 09:11 PM)richk Wrote: Legal age about doing these type of trades is 18; period end of sentence.

If you make a trade with a "14" year old (Let's say for today you trade him Matt Moore Heritage Minor 1 of 1 for CJ Wilson 1 of 1) and then 3 years later CJ has won 20 games a year for the Yankees and Moore develops a sore arm and never will pitch again.

Since the child is now 17; he can legally ask you to restore the trade. And you better be able to produce the Wilson card

Rich
I hate this example. CJ pitch for the yankees; that's disturbing!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(09-30-2011, 05:19 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: I agree with David Campos though. Spend $4 man.
$4.00 is 20 packs of Top Ramen for a college student that's a huge hit to the grocery list. Just kidding. Smile You'll be trading with all of us again soon. Get that degree!

[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]