`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For all those bashing Jose Reyes please read this...

RE: For all those bashing Jose Reyes please read this...
(09-30-2011, 07:27 AM)gherkin1496 Wrote: its an intelligent move...thats what it is. he actually used his brain and played the odds. its what any logical person would have done.

the point they are making is, lets say he went to .4008, and then didnt get a hit the next at bat he would still be above .400. so he never went to bat with the risk of losing his .400 average in ANY of his 8 atbats
Followed by another at bat where IF he didn't get a hit he would have fallen below .400. Granted, I know he went 4 for 5 in the first game so I have no idea where that "non-hit" came up in the game. Heck his first at bat alone he was already at .39955 which would have been rounded up to .400. That first at bat alone was a risk of losing it.

I would say it was "intelligent" to try and get the title doing it that way but seemed like a cheap way to do it. Just my opinion in competition. Maybe he didn't have confidence in himself the rest of the way.

(09-30-2011, 07:32 AM)cmccart8 Wrote: And as the OP pointed out, it has been done MANY times before by the all time greats....who nobody seems to be bashing for some reason.
Probably has something to do with the fact that the Reyes ordeal just happened. If you'd like to start a thread complaining about Griffey Sr. doing it, go for it but it probably won't last that long because nobody cares anymore.

I am currently reading, "The Last .400 Hitter: The Anatomy of a .400 Season."
It's a darn good book, even though the author (a Sawx fan) spends a lot of time trying to tarnish DiMaggio's streak...
The author goes as far as saying Joe didn't really hit in 56 straight games because he went hitless in an exhibition. Anyway, Ted did not avoid at bats. Ted also tore up an ankle during spring training... did it injured just about all season.

If the Mets had anything on the line and Reyes sat, then I'd have a problem with that.
I'd like a player to take their cuts but oh well.

As far as a player sitting just to preserve a .300 .avg... that's kinda silly.

But damn that dirty Wade Boggs!
Nah, I like Boggsy.

And Robin, have you forgotten the arse whoopin' you got the last time you messed with the Express?

(09-29-2011, 01:42 PM)arod1973 Wrote: It may happen all the time but that doesn't mean it's not a classless move...Reyes was ahead and should have played the game out and put the pressure on Braun...

I personally had no opinion on Reyes prior to the game but as soon as I heard what he did just to win the title..it sounded like a "cheap" win...
+1