`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I dont understand ebay sometimes

I dont understand ebay sometimes
I'm selling off some stuff I don't want/ don't want to hunt down supercollectors for on the bay. Some of the stuff with $40 $50 $60 BV sells for $10 $12 $15. but the stuff with BV of $10 and $15 sells for double sometimes...

Case in point...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190575972178?ssP...1555.l2649

this card has a BV of $10...
[Image: vt-2.gif]

RE: I dont understand ebay sometimes
A lot of the 90's inserts are hard to come by, therefore, bring a premium price when they are listed, especially if they are serial numbered. I have seen a lot of Clark cards go for double BV when they pop up. Just an example of supply and demand for ya.
[Image: WillTheThrillSig.jpg]

Also, you never know who's on at certain times. The bidder on the Berkman might be a supercollector, or someone who just happened to see it and wants it badly. It also might be a case of supply and demand. If the $60BV card has 499 copies made, there are more selections for buyers out there than the Berkman numbered to 100.

doesn't that throw beckett's entire pricing scheme in the toilet? im not trying to say ebay should dictate what cards are worth but if something is that hard to come by shouldnt it "book" for more? especially older cards from the 50's that a MINT condition card is not only next to impossible to find, but when you do its graded and the pricing of a raw card is irrelevant. I think they need to redefine what mint is for cards 55 and older
[Image: vt-2.gif]

(09-18-2011, 10:20 AM)brouse6759 Wrote: doesn't that throw beckett's entire pricing scheme in the toilet? im not trying to say ebay should dictate what cards are worth but if something is that hard to come by shouldnt it "book" for more? especially older cards from the 50's that a MINT condition card is not only next to impossible to find, but when you do its graded and the pricing of a raw card is irrelevant. I think they need to redefine what mint is for cards 55 and older
IMO Beckett's pricing is just a guess as to what the card is worth. There are too many factors involved for beckett to be spot on in pricing.

If something is hard to come by, then it's apparently not seeing a whole lot of action in the trading/selling/auction worlds and thus, Beckett is not going to change the listed value range. Altering the value based on one or two sales doesn't make much sense either since, again, who knows what the factors are.

It could be two people who REALLY wanted the card and bid it up to $587.98 but then one of them won it, and suddenly there is only one person left who REALLY needs it with no other crazies to bid against and the next time around, he wins/purchases one for $50. Yes, this was an extreme example but I think the point comes across.

Personally, I also think there are people out there who, though they say that book value doesn't matter, will simply not pay a certain price for a card BECAUSE they don't want to pay book value, thus making the price guide relevant.

Wow, seems like that Berkman would go for much more
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

Keep in mind that just because something ended for that price doesn't mean it sold. There are far too many shill and non-paying bidders out there.

The title of your thread should be "I don't understand Beckett sometimes". The market is supposed to set the value of an item, not reflect what a price guide says something is worth
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

Book value is just a guide. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I really don't pay much attention to book value. I want a card I'm going to buy it within reason. I've overpaid for several Dale Murphy cards.