`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite forgotten or at least overlooked set?

Favorite forgotten or at least overlooked set?
In my searches of eBay and other various sites and purchasing some small collections, I've come across pretty cool sets that I remember from the 90's or sooner that I'd forgotten about. The one that stands out to me the most is 1996 Topps Laser. I remember getting a pack or two back in 1996 and really enjoying the design but since I was only 12, I couldn't really afford to get really into them, just a sample. What do you guys think of?
[Image: BECKETTBanner.jpg]
Trading for: Baseball Rookie Collection NEEDS | Frank Thomas | Ben Tate | Hideo Nomo | Ken Griffey Jr. (SEA uni) | Current Texans
*Wants marked as such* *NOT CURRENTLY TRADING*

RE: Favorite forgotten or at least overlooked set?
I like the Lasers as well. I've always liked the 99 Ovation set, one of the nicest designs I've seen. The best sets are 90's inserts. Pacific ruled back then
[Image: Boston.jpg]

I'm also fond of UD3 and Zenith. I enjoy the mid 90's insert sets to most of the stuff now. Plus, if you pulled an auto or a patch, it was a real WOW moment, now, half the time, they're prospects that don't pan out to be much of anything, plus there is WAY too many parallels now in my opinion.
[Image: BECKETTBanner.jpg]
Trading for: Baseball Rookie Collection NEEDS | Frank Thomas | Ben Tate | Hideo Nomo | Ken Griffey Jr. (SEA uni) | Current Texans
*Wants marked as such* *NOT CURRENTLY TRADING*

I agree with Pacific generally, Prisms and Invincible were the best

I've said this on numerous old threads but I really loved some late 90's Donruss products, in particular Donruss Preferred, Donruss Limited and Donruss Collections. Nice design, tough sets to complete, Preferred had some nice inserts especially those Precious Metals inserts......
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

90's Pinnacle Inserts.....especially the hologram ones.....I'm a sucker for holograms, and Pinnacle was king of that
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

I like '97 Bowman Chrome. In my opinion, insert sets don't get much better than the International refractors.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

I liked Pacific too. The In the Cage cards and things like that were always ones I liked. One of my all time favorites in the Pacific Private Stock Canvas cards. Great art and amazing cards IMO.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I like the King B discs. You know the ones that came in like a Skoal can but had shredded beef jerky.
I only have a few of them
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(09-18-2011, 02:18 AM)jacobclark04240 Wrote: I'm also fond of UD3 and Zenith. I enjoy the mid 90's insert sets to most of the stuff now. Plus, if you pulled an auto or a patch, it was a real WOW moment, now, half the time, they're prospects that don't pan out to be much of anything, plus there is WAY too many parallels now in my opinion.
+1

I loved Zenith when I was growing up. Maybe it was because it was too expensive for my middle school income. I also think there are too many parallels to cards nowadays. Back in the 90's an insert was usually ap retty good card because there wasnt a lot of different ones and because they generally only used the high value players for them.