`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've Got 99 Problems But a Coutch Ain't One

I've Got 99 Problems But a Coutch Ain't One
I'd like to give special thanks to dragik, iluvladies5015, kingkard543, vintagecardseller, themouth247, pens1fan, and csamsal for, over the course of 15 months, either trading these beloved pieces to me or sending the cards that helped me land them.

This was my first Ice RC /99. I remember watching people break boxes of 09-10 Ice last year and thinking to myself that what they pulled out was almost too colorful to be believed.

[Image: BacklundIcePremieres.jpg]

At the time, I didn't know there were 4 different Tiers of RCs, but I enjoyed looking at every one. Honestly, stealing a glimpse of a base card was itself a treat. Even detractors of the product acknowledged that its card design was striking and unlike anything that came before it, emphasizing bold, bright, primary colors. By then, though it seemed like every other box was yielding a Duchene RC /99, I was beginning to understand which cards marked the steepest challenge. I eventually saved up for two boxes and never pulled a lower numbered RC than /999, if that. But being able to trade for Backlund inspired me to track down as many of the 09-10 Ice RCs as possible. Of the non /99 RCs, I only have these four left to go:

#146 T.J. Galiardi
#148 Christian Hanson
#154 Ryan O'Reilly
#164 Artem Anisimov

So maybe Backlund wasn't yet a proven superstar but his card was to serve as the cornerstone of my project for over a year. Right after landing it, I figured I had all the momentum and I felt really optimistic about snagging another. I picked this up thinking that it would make finding another 09-10 Ice RC /99 an even easier task:

[Image: BoedkerIce.jpg]

I was wrong. I shopped it for over nine months, a drought exacerbated by the fact that right after I got it, its BV plummeted twice, making it more difficult to justify a swap to those holding the 09-10 versions I coveted. After being thwarted for the better part of a year, I decided to keep the Boedker instead and to begin work on a long term goal of tracking down as many 2nd and 1st Tier RCs as possible...from any year. It's a decision I wouldn't regret.

Expanding the PC was counter-intuitive, since even an extremely narrow collecting goal can pose a tough challenge. But, assuming one wasn't a pure completionist like irbefan4life, surely a gift and a curse, releasing that safety valve and welcoming some other cards and sets and players into the PC was a relief...a realization that I hope rayeates will soon share.

But back to the matter at hand. It was looking pretty hopeless for awhile there. For some reason, people weren't eager to trade these RCs away. After plodding along for a few more months, I finally won a small victory and landed a card that at times seemed almost as tough as a lesser sought-after /99:

[Image: NiemiIceRC.jpg]

At least that's what I told myself. The double PC coup (rare-ish 09-10 Ice RC & star Shark) was a morale boost and it coincided with the most productive few months of trading I've ever had. It probably wasn't one card that turned the tide, but something snapped me out of a collecting funk. All of a sudden the deals were flowing in.

After months of flirtation, I finally found a path to this card, which was there all along but always seemed furthest from reach until the moment the trade was sealed:

[Image: MyersIcePremieres.jpg]

It took dipping into the PC and trading away more than I wanted to until that point, but I knew any payoff (or not) would depend on how I felt when the card finally arrived. I'd find out then whether I'd made a "good" trade. When the Myers splashed down, bundled in equal parts bubble mailer and anticipation, I thought, sorry Backlund, you're gonna have to share the limelight now. It was an epic PC win...I'd have done it again a thousand times.

Apparently though, I was only getting warmed up. The trade that netted this gem required every ounce of skill and patience I had (not to mention a few cards too). It certainly helped to have a friendly counterpart to work with, but summoning the resources and time to make a serious pass at this card was an exercise that I relished, one that was worthy of this plastic wrapped in plastic wrapped in plastic.

[Image: PatrickKaneIceRC.jpg]

Days later it still hadn't sunk in, and maybe you could see why. It was a cornerstone contender: a card that you looked at and said, "wow, there aren't too many other ones out there that I'd rather have." A card that knocked you off your axis a bit and demanded to know where you wanted to go from here. I didn't have time to get too philosophical though.

Just yesterday, after nearly 1 1/2 years after first embarking on my mini-quest, this card was received by my hands:

[Image: CoutureIcePremieres.jpg]

It's special. Logan Couture ('Coutch,' as he's affectionately called by fans) is probably the first homegrown Shark who has a shot at doing something really spectacular in this league. Collecting the greats will always be fun but being able to track a budding talent from year one is an entirely different kind of excitement, one I've been eager to experience for quite awhile now.

As for this project overall, it's not complete. Far from it. I've really barely scratched the surface and I've expended almost every borderline PC card to do it. It feels like I've made it to a summit though. Maybe not THE summit, but I'm on top of it whatever it is and suddenly 99 isn't as intimidating a number as it used to be.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

RE: I've Got 99 Problems But a Cooch Ain't One
The PC choice is a hard one my friend, and I respect your progress thus far. The story behind it is great, well told, and was a fun read, and the cards themselves are super-impressive. I hope you can keep rolling with it, it sounds like you're having a great time hunting!
Collecting Cam Neely & Boston Bruins
Photobucket: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/p...or%20Sale/

Hey!!!! I remember that backlund 8)

great story and great cards!

congrats on them
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

That Kane is outstanding! I remember trading for my first #'d 99 Ice rookie card. The cost was pretty steep. A Gretzky auto, a Crosby auto & a couple others thrown in. All for a kid who was 21 & still in the Juniors, while the guy drafted ahead of him was already having epic seasons. I'm glad I didn't give up on the kid...some guy named Bobby Ryan.

Those are some very nice pick ups for your PC and I am glad I was able to help you land one of those cards.
Collect Ray Bourque, Ryan Miller, Patrice Bergeron, Dougie Hamilton

(09-17-2011, 01:08 PM)bruinsfan08 Wrote: The PC choice is a hard one my friend, and I respect your progress thus far. The story behind it is great, well told, and was a fun read, and the cards themselves are super-impressive. I hope you can keep rolling with it, it sounds like you're having a great time hunting!
(09-17-2011, 01:49 PM)bonnev659 Wrote: great story and great cards!

congrats on them
Chris and J.J., I'm having a blast chasing some of these down but at least half the fun is being able to share them with friends. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through.

(09-17-2011, 01:48 PM)csamsal Wrote: Hey!!!! I remember that backlund 8)
Doesn't it take you back? I mean that was probably my 6th or 7th trade here at Beckett.com, a real blast from the past for me. Look at what you started, thanks for nothing... : )

(09-17-2011, 05:54 PM)iluvladies5015 Wrote: Those are some very nice pick ups for your PC and I am glad I was able to help you land one of those cards.
Nick, without your help, I never would've landed the Couture. You're clutch.

(09-17-2011, 03:41 PM)azicet Wrote: That Kane is outstanding! I remember trading for my first #'d 99 Ice rookie card. The cost was pretty steep. A Gretzky auto, a Crosby auto & a couple others thrown in. All for a kid who was 21 & still in the Juniors, while the guy drafted ahead of him was already having epic seasons. I'm glad I didn't give up on the kid...some guy named Bobby Ryan.
Hey, I really appreciate you dropping in and comparing stories. That Ryan must be quite the card and boy does that trade sound serious. You must know a bit about how I feel towards the Kane and the cards I gave up for it, but you apparently pulled your deal off based on a scout's eye...what a gamble!
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

Great read, awesome collection! Your a great trader, great storyteller, great guy and such an asset to the boards with your posts! Keep it up alwayas enjoyable...I being the completist am almost up to date with my collection after 8 months on beckett almost non stop

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

RE: I've Got 99 Problems But a Coutch Ain't One
Very cool story and great read. Anytime I can help with your PC just LMK. That Couture is a great addition to your PC.
Collecting:
Current Penguins / Sidney Crosby / Penguins RCs

[Image: 39d17c38-0760-4e5f-8be4-b6c654d92bea_zpsjsqahbfv.jpg]
The mountains are calling and I MUST GO!!!!

RE: I've Got 99 Problems But a Coutch Ain't One
Extraordinary stuff to be sure. I remember back when you first got into the hobby full-out and you were excited by the Nolan BAP Ultimate Stick I traded to you. Now the Nolan is like Pro-Set next to the stuff that you have now!

The only #/99 I have ever owned was PK Subban, and I made the dumb move of selling it when his value was low.

(09-17-2011, 12:54 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: But, assuming one wasn't a pure completionist like irbefan4life, surely a gift and a curse, releasing that safety valve and welcoming some other cards and sets and players into the PC was a relief...a realization that I hope rayeates will soon share.
I've heard of this IrbeFan4Life somewhere before. They say that he is crazy or something ;}