`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WILD GOOSE CHASE>>>>>>>>>>

RE: WILD GOOSE CHASE>>>>>>>>>>
If the card did exist, wouldn't it most likely fall into the high/low range on price when it was hypothetically sold???

I think it is crazy to think that Beckett has confirmed sales on every card that they list a price for in thier price guide. They have to base most of these prices on comparable card attributes, sets, and players.

Techinically speaking it was derived from market information, not "made up".

So, litterally speaking it was an educated guess that was made, not a "made up" guess at a price.

P.S. I should work for Beckett with the spin I just put on that!!!
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(09-07-2011, 01:12 PM)got watcha want Wrote: If the card did exist, wouldn't it most likely fall into the high/low range on price when it was hypothetically sold???

I think it is crazy to think that Beckett has confirmed sales on every card that they list a price for in thier price guide. They have to base most of these prices on comparable card attributes, sets, and players.

Techinically speaking it was derived from market information, not "made up".

So, litterally speaking it was an educated guess that was made, not a "made up" guess at a price.

P.S. I should work for Beckett with the spin I just put on that!!!
lol! I think its crazy to think that too. But last time I was in a debate about this, lots of people said they base it off of auction houses and the bay and LCS sales and an imaginary "formula". They would not admit that some of it is a guestimate. Thanks for at least acknowledging that! I agree that there are a lot of educated guessing in this. With that being said, I take it back to my last debate, and say, cant they make those Educated guestimates with cards that have a print run of /25 or less? Yes they could. But they wont because it would take forever. So the easy way out of that is to say that the price is what someone will pay for it. I understand that. I will repeat for all the haters. I understand that a card is worth what someone will pay, but isnt that true for everything in life? Im not trying to start another debate. Please haters, just take what I wrote as MY OPINION.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

Well if you look at at that guide there are plenty of cards that have listed prices that also have a print run of 25.

I have a Kidd auto in my bucket right now from 07-08 Ultimate and that card has a listed price, and parrallels with a print run of 25 like 10-11 Donruss Rubies are also are listed. Where is the consistancy there???

I think all cards with a print run below 25 should not have a value listed, because if you can get enough market info on cards like the Kidd auto I mentioned, then you should be able to price any other card with a print run of 25.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

I don't remember the full thread quavis, but I think the issue with that thread was that people weren't applying the same definition for the words used. What you call a guestimate may include actual values being more generalized based on other products and attributes. But someone else may take a guestimate as in saying "Well, I think because other cards in this product have been selling for X this one is valued at X." I do not believe, but admit I could be wrong, that Beckett would give a price to something that they don't have something similar to go on. For instance, say you have a parallel (not GU or AU, just a different refractor or spectrum) that is /25 and then you have a parallel from another product similarly priced also /25 but it has an AU. Now, they could be the same player, but you can't say that because they both came from $90 boxes that they are both valued the same. They aren't. Also, you have to remember that they put players in "categories" (Super Stars, Semi Stars, Stars, etc. - I've only ever seen it in the mag, not on here) and they will base prices similarly off of that. There is probably a formula and like resistors and other electrical components, there's probably a "flex" factor as I call it (can't think of the technical term). I would call that an educated guess, and some people attribute the word "guestimate" with educated guess, others don't.

Now, they do get sales prices from online sites (COMC, eBay, others), auction houses as well as LCS's, but each place may not give the proper information. I don't believe it would be possible, nor rational, to attempt to collect the sale price of every card out there (not that you're saying they should). But that would be the only true way to give value. But I understand where you're coming from.

Now, here's something about the checklist issue. I am collecting the 1996 Upper Deck USA set and in the base set and the SP Career Statistics (Gold version too) there are cards that were not produced it seemed. In my folder, there are about 8 cards that are missing, and they are right in the middle of the number scheme. For instance, I do not have #41-#48 and can't find them ANYWHERE. Now, the base set goes up to #72. So, since it doesn't seem like they were made, should they be taken out of the system? Going back to your set issue, I'm not sure why there was one put in there unless someone made some good forgeries or something, but when I get you the email hopefully you'll find out.
Here's a link to the FAQ thread on the Help Forum. It has the emails listed in there.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Thanks Xtreme. We all do apperciate it.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

No problem. Anything I can do to make this place better I try. And I've got some other things I'm trying to do to make this place better. Smile

Xtreme: Conceerning your 1996 USA set...don't quote me on this, but if memory serves me right, #41-48 were redemptions for the 11th and 12th man for the USA team. At the time the set came out, they had only named the first 10 members. To compensate for that, there were redemptions available for the other 2 players. Don't remember seeing them as, at least in Chicago, the set was not very popular.

Another card I have never seen is the 2001 Donruss retro 2000 Ichiro #95B. There is a picture in the database, but my guess is it came from Donruss. I have looked for that card on and off for 10 years and have never seen it...
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

UPDATE- Below is the response I recieved on the same day that I reported the issue.
Quavis- This also explains the pricing infomation that they gave for the card.

Caleb,

I saw your post on the boards a couple of days ago and did some investigating. We did have some sales in the market information history from a few years ago, but I agree that those were probably just mis-validated to the Stars and Rookies set, instead of the more common SOTT set and a price was accidentally entered.

We have already removed the item from both the checklist and the database.

Thanks for the update - we try to be as accurate as possible, but we do make mistakes and are happy to get them corrected.

BKMag

MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....

That was quick. Smile

I actually sent it today and got the response the same day.

Beckett has picked up on the customer service lately. I had an issue with my last BGS submission and they accidentally overcharged me. They refunded my money on the same day that I inquired about it.

You can also see that Beckett employees do actually read our posts.

Impressive Beckett, impressive! -Hope you see that.
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....